Yesterday once more/Please mr postman .statistics

Status
Not open for further replies.

adam

Hi
Thought id post this data on The Carpenters " Biggest Worldwide hits.

YESTERDAY ONCE MORE
US no 2. 1 millon coppies sold
UK no 2. Their biggest uk hit 350,000 copies sold
Canada no 1
Australia no 9
Japan no 5. Their biggest japanese hit.700,000 copies sold
Netherands no 7
Malaysia no 1
Hong kong no 1
Singapore no 1
Venezuela no 1
Israel no 1
Belgium no 6
Germany no 38

PLEASE MR POSTMAN

US no 1. 1 million copies sold
UK no 2. 250,000 copies sold
Australial n0 1
Canada no 1
Netherlands no 33
Japan no 12. 250,000 copies sold
Germany no 21
Switzerland no 5
South Africa no 1
Ireland no 3

If any one else has any information on charts from other countries it would be much appreciated.I think the next 2 Carpenters biggest worldwide hits would be Close to You and Top of the world.

thanks
Germany no 21

Too too fun! Love revisiting,reliving the glory days.Kinda get lost a little w/o focus on cataclysm.

I am more impressed with their album success in the UK. From 1974 through 1976, "The Singles" and "Horizon" spent a combined 22 weeks in the #1 spot and totaled an amazing 152 consecutive weeks on the charts. Talk about a one/two punch overseas! And their follow up album to those two smashes was "A Kind of Hush" and it made it all the way to #3 spot which was not to shabby in it's self.

Traveled the world extensively due to my Navy career from the mid 70's to the mid 90's and it was always reassuring to see an appreciation for the Carpenters around the world especially in Europe and southern Asia. Was really surprised to find a cocktail lounge in the Hyatt Regency Hotel in Dubai during a stay in 1990 named "Carpenters" which had signage and menus that closely resembled the Carpenters logo, and the club even rotated some of their hits into mix. Often wondered if Richard even knew the place existed?

The country that was the most fanatical about the Carpenters (along with Michael Jackson) was the Philippines. Their music and posters were everywhere and from what I have read the respect and admiration for them has not changed after all these years. It is easy to see how the Carpenters worldwide sales have exceeded 110 million units once you get an opportunity to check out the rest of the world.

Last edited:
The country that was the most fanatical about the Carpenters (along with Michael Jackson) was the Philippines. Their music and posters were everywhere and from what I have read the respect and admiration for them has not changed after all these years. It is easy to see how the Carpenters worldwide sales have exceeded 110 million units once you get an opportunity to check out the rest of the world.
Speaking of . . . I'm very impressed with this Philippine singer.

Speaking of . . . I'm very impressed with this Philippine singer.

That's Claire dela Fuente. She's actually appeared and sung with Richard on several occasions and recorded with him. She's also recorded 'Merry Christmas Darling' and music with Michael Bolton.

I never did get his obsession with spending oodles of money recording with non-English speaking artists just because someone said they sound a bit like Karen :hide:

Last edited:
Hearing Miss dela Fuente do "Something In Your Eyes" reinforces for me that it's Dusty Springfield's song. I don't think Claire sounds anything like Karen, except for her the fact that she has a deeper voice.

Harry

I happily work with several Filipinos and not only is Karen THE GODDESS of record they adore Claire. Many times I've been invited to YouTube for a Claire performance. I adore rapping about CarpenterS with these guys-n-dolls. This group talks of Karen in the present as tho she still ruled the school
Deeeelightful! Does wonders for denial. Also, my whistle while I work songmate Ernie can sing TIME note for note as tho it rocked the charts. Presumably it did well enough to influence a generation. Never once, no matter age, has one coworker of this descent said Carp what? Karen who? They ( I know they is a broad statement but my collective experience is that they) in fact, light up like a Xmas tree st Karen's name. The conversations and songs follow endlessly. Mentioning death and/or circumstance brings deep expressive grief. Back to my friend Ernie, aside from RC and myself he is the singular individual who I've heard sing CALLING YOUR NAME AGAIN. Of course I'll counter with my resounding ' hanging around.... to my fave big finish...always getttttt..me down. Single for single, song for song. Love that guy. If my diverse workplace is any indication of universal appeal at the P islands I just may be visiting.

Jeff

Hearing Miss dela Fuente do "Something In Your Eyes" reinforces for me that it's Dusty Springfield's song. I don't think Claire sounds anything like Karen, except for her the fact that she has a deeper voice.

Harry
I don't think so either. But she has a lovely lower register and I enjoy listening to her facility with a song. I wouldn't expect two people from different parts of the world to have the same phrasing.

Oh her voice is fine, it's just that I keep reading things like "Richard needs to team up with Claire dela Fuente for this, that and the other thing." I agree with Stephen that the last thing he needs is to team up with yet another non-English speaker, and I don't think she has the spooky quality that Akiko has, but then again there's the language barrier - and no-one can truly replicate Karen.

Harry

Oh her voice is fine, it's just that I keep reading things like "Richard needs to team up with Claire dela Fuente for this, that and the other thing." I agree with Stephen that the last thing he needs is to team up with yet another non-English speaker, and I don't think she has the spooky quality that Akiko has, but then again there's the language barrier - and no-one can truly replicate Karen.

Harry
I agree - if you are looking for a true Karen sound alike you won't find one. Even if Karen had had a daughter who inherited that voice, she probably wouldn't want to constantly be compared to her mother.

Some singers have a similar style and maybe some have a similar way of phrasing, but no one has it all in one like Karen did.

Yeah, I'm well aware of Karen's voice being unique. We'll never hear another like her. That's why I don't understand why Richard has seemed to gravitate towards these Karen wannabees.

Harry

THEY LONG TO BE ClOSE TO YOU

US no 1
Canada no 1
Australia no 1
UK no 6
Japan no 71
Mexico no 4
Brazil no 3

Worldwide sales Over 3 million .
Suprisingly this song was not a big hit in Europe apart from UK.

TOP OF THE WORLD

US no 1 . over million copies sold
Japan no 21 . 250,000 copies sold
UK no 5. 250,000 copies sold
Canada no 1
Australia no 1
Germany no 38
Netherlands no 14

SUPERSTAR

USA no 2 . million copies sold
Japan no 7. 230,000 copies sold
UK no 18
Canada no 3
Netherlands no 21

ONLY YESTERDAY

USA no 4. 600,000 copies sold
Japan no 12. 200,000 copies sold
Uk no 7
Canada no 2
Australia no 16

8/21/2013 Additional Information:
Certified by the Recording Industry Association of Japan
Carpenters, The - Top Of The World (July, 2010) full-length songs downloaded on cellphones
2x Platinum (Platinum - 250,000)
International singles physical copies
186,000 Jambalaya - Carpenters ( 1973/11/21 ) # 28
236,000 Only Yesterday - Carpenters ( 1975/04/25 ) # 12
592,000 Yesterday Once More - Carpenters ( 1973/07/01 ) # 5
569,050 I Need To Be In Love/Top Of The World - Carpenters ( 1976/07/21 ) # 5

Source:
http://atrl.net/forums/archive/index.php/t-411126.html

Hi
Thanks for additional information GaryAlan. Yesterday Once More sold eventually 750,000 copies in Japan according to Ray coleman biography published in 1994.

SplashingRocks presents a beautiful commentary on Yesterday Once More and I Need to Be In Love , which ends:
"Who would think that two songs that originated in the 1970's with three earnest American suburban kids in Downey, California
-- Richard and Karen Carpenter and John Bettis – would endure as beloved classics in the musical cultures of Japan and China
some 40 years later, and likely for decades yet to come?
Somewhere up there, Karen must be smiling like she did in 1970."

Full Article Here:
http://splashingrocks.blogspot.com/2014/01/a-tale-of-two-songs-yesterday-once-more.html

As indicated in my SplashingRocks blog piece cited above by Gary, Yesterday Once More enjoyed more widespread worldwide popularity than even indicated by the stats posted above. Records I found indicate that YOM reached No. 1 in Belgium, Canada, France, Hong Kong, Israel, Malaysia, Singapore, and Venezuela. It was also No. 1 on Japan's Oricon International chart (of non-Japanese recordings in Japan), as well as No. 1 on the Global United World Chart, and was No. 1 in the U.S. on Cash Box and Record World, although only No. 2 on the Billboard Hot 100. It peaked at No. 2 in UK and Japan's overall pop/rock chart (i.e., including Japanese recordings). But most significant of all has been its huge and enduring popularity in China, where extensive Internet evidence shows that it was the most popular and widely heard Western recording in the PRC since Teng Hsiao Ping's loosening of cultural restraints around 1980 until around 2010, when the availability of more contemporary western music on the internet/digitally finally supplanted it. There is more on this phenomenom in an earlier SplashingRocks blogpost, see http://splashingrocks.blogspot.com/2013/01/opening-splash-east-asia-and-carpenters.html.

Hi

Yesterday Once More really bolted The Carpenters to International fame in 1973 and gave their British career a kick start that it needed.But as big as YOM was i think Please Mr Postman was a bigger hit.

GOODBYE TO LOVE

Canada no 4
USA no 7
UK no 9. 100,000 copies sold
Australia no 25
Japan no 55. 50,000 copies sold.

Does anyone know how many copies Goodbye to love sold in the USA ?. Any info appreciated.

Good Question, Adam!
Karen and Richard were disappointed that Only Yesterday, USA#4 only sold 600,000 Copies.
Goodbye To Love peaked at #7 for two weeks.
So, pure speculation on my part, it sold perhaps 400,000 copies USA.
As of late 1973, "...Karen's favorite..." (Booklet from Singles 1969-1973).
One of the more informed members certainly can pinpoint the true sales.

Thanks garyalan
Just really intrested in Carpenters chart positions and sales around the world. Regarding Only Yesterday With USA sales of 600,000 copies and Japan sales of 230,000 copies it must have sold a Global million with other sales from Canada,Uk and other countries.

And i think i read somewhere that Richard carpenter mentioned that Goodbye To Love didnt sell a million but dont know if he ment just ment in USA or globally.

THEY LONG TO BE ClOSE TO YOU

US no 1
Canada no 1
Australia no 1
UK no 6
Japan no 71
Mexico no 4
Brazil no 3

Worldwide sales Over 3 million .
Suprisingly this song was not a big hit in Europe apart from UK.

TOP OF THE WORLD

US no 1 . over million copies sold
Japan no 21 . 250,000 copies sold
UK no 5. 250,000 copies sold
Canada no 1
Australia no 1
Germany no 38
Netherlands no 14

SUPERSTAR

USA no 2 . million copies sold Gold disc award
Japan no 7. 230,000 copies sold. Gold disc award .Their first gold disc in Japan
UK no 18
Canada no 3
Netherlands no 21

ONLY YESTERDAY

USA no 4. 600,000 copies sold
Japan no 12. 200,000 copies sold
Uk no 7
Canada no 2
Australia no 16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back