1. Thank you for visiting the A&M Corner Forum. To enjoy all of the features of our forum (and remove this message), please register for complete access. In order to register, please use the following VIP code in our registration form, and enter only the digits requested: A84X 52CC 6DJ8 RR44 . To prevent spam, our staff manually activates all new accounts; you will receive an email notice when your account is activated. Thanks again!
  2. Just launched: The Complete Carpenters Recording Resource! Click here to read about A&M Corner's newest web site!

Ye-Me-Le lyrics

Discussion in 'Look Around: Sergio Mendes/Brazilian Music Forum' started by guitarista, May 13, 2007.

1. guitarista

guitarista New Member

Does anyone know the lyrics to Ye-me-le, in Portuguese? Thanks....also guitar tabs? I can't find 'em!

2. Steven J. Gross

Steven J. Gross Active Member

A great song- underrated!

3. Mike Blakesley

Mike Blakesley Administrator Staff Member

The lyrics are in the SERIE GRANDES NOMES box set, I think...I'll try to get time to transcribe them here in the next day or so. Agreed, it's a great song and one I never get tired of hearing.

4. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

Wow! Great minds think alike! I was just thinking of it, along with "Wichita Lineman" (which I do know) and if only I had the words to "Righteous Life" and "Stillness"...! :wink:

Dave

5. Harry

Harry Administrator Staff Member

The lyrics to "Ye-Me-Le" are also included in the Japanese issue of the YE-ME-LE CD.

YE-ME-LE
    (Luis Carlos Vinhas/Chico Feitosa)

Yé-Melé iá ia lá
    Yé-Melé iá lá
    Canto de Iemanjá
    Saveiro savá mele melá
    Ilé olá
    Onda do mar

A rainha mãe do mar
    Traz o seu amor
    Sua bênção vem me dar
    E eu dou uma flor
    Yé-Melé iá ia lá
    Yé-Melé iá lá
    Canto de Iemanjá
    Saveiro savá mele melá
    Ilé olá
    Onda do mar

©April Music, Inc.-(ASCAP)

Given the Japanese penchant for errors in English lyrics, I can only assume that the same would be true for Portuguese lyrics. So since this is a direct copy from the Japanese album, and I don't speak Portuguese, the accuracy can't be guaranteed.

Harry

6. Mike Blakesley

I have the Japenese edition too - maybe that's where I saw the lyrics. At any rate...I didn't get a chance to look last night; we had a major thunderstorm blow through here, with high winds and hail, and a power failure that lasted most of the evening. We had a movie theatre full of people when it happened. So I spent most of last evening in "damage control" mode, followed by a lenghthy tour of looking around town at all the downed trees and etc. The freeway past town was even partially closed for awhile due to water on the road.

Thanks for the lyrics Harry...I have often wondered the same thing about the accuracy of the Portuguese myself.

7. Trevor

Trevor Member

Brasil6699 copied the original sheet music with the following lyrics. Apparently. some of the lyrics are based on the Yoruba language.

Yê-Melê ariará
    Yê-Melê ará
    Yê-Melê ariará
    Canto de Iemanjá

Zauê Zauá
    Melê Melá
    Indê-olá
    Onda do mar

Ah, Rainha mãe do mar
    Traz o seu amor
    Sua benção vem me dar
    E eu dou uma flor

8. Harry

Harry Administrator Staff Member

Based on what little I know of these languages, the ones Trevor posted looks more authentic to the way the record sounds.

Harry

9. Mike Blakesley

Agreed here. I always wondered if those Japanese transcriptions of the Portuguese lyrics were any more trustworthy than the English ones. Looks like not.

It's surprising they can't find the REAL lyrics from the publishing company or whoever when making a CD release. What with this being the information age and all.