What year was "Your Navy Presents"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RainyDays

Was it in 1970 right before they became huge? I think the video says March 1970 but I'm not sure if that's right. Why hasn't Richard released more of these, there great!

Yes. 1970.

Richard is probably not all that motivated to release these tracks, and may in fact not be the sole owner. It was after all a radio show recorded for the US Navy, so it's possible there are other rights-holders. But that may not even be the big reason. Richard and Karen were described as both perfectionists and "studio animals", and they spent a great deal of time and energy to get recordings of these songs perfect - and it's the perfect ones that were released.

These live-in-studio tracks are probably considered by Richard as no better than any other live recordings that they did - and from some of the samplings, these don't sound like they were recorded all that well. I hear distortions in spots - even in the released "Get Together" track on the box sets. They were OK recordings for a radio show, but not a permanent release.

Harry

Finally, I may have snagged a Vinyl copy of this Album, from a vendor in Britain.
Awaiting a response to my order, but I am keeping my fingers crossed.
Nothing says Merry Christmas like a Carpenters' rarity on vinyl.

Oooh, nice find! I've always thought Karen sounded especially lovely on these recordings. I always find it very amusing that they played "Get Together" while they were on a Navy promo. Mr. Guder, this, Richard was a rebel in his own way. :D

Bummer! My order has been cancelled, as the Album is already sold !
Oh, well...I'll keep searching for a copy!

The Essential Collection Liner Notes state:
" March 1970, Karen ,our road group and I, recorded twelve songs 'live' in the studio.
The twelve (plus two then-unsweetened master recordings)...edited into four shows..."

My question:
What were the two (then)- unsweetened songs offered, and were those songs aired on the Navy Program at that time?

I believe it was "Love Is Surrender" and "Help!" that were the two unsweetened studio recordings. "Help!" has a lot of stacked vocals, so they may have been performing the instruments in the "Navy" studios while the vocal track was playing.

Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom