what make of trumpet

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob

hi all, does any one what make of trumpet herb alpert played on in the mood, becasue it had a brassier sound to it than puttin on the ritz.
bob

Hi Bob-
I believe that Herb played his usual Benge on both Ritz and the new album. But,,,, On Ritz Herb played with a mute which has a darker less brassy sound. Good ears mate.. Hope you have a good holiday season!

Thanks randy I knew it was the benge because as a kid growing up listening to the tjb it was that tone in the benge trumpet and the style of music that I knew when listing to the radio when the tjb had a new release,and like on Magic man herb played a different trumpet.and tell your uncle, it was him that started me playing the trumpet,and I met your uncle back in 1968 while the brass did a 2 nighter at a place in cuyahoga falls, Ohio called the Blosson music center got his autograph and he took a slide picture with me and tonni kalash I was 13 at the time I had a orange tee shirt on . I am trying to find that picture, no luck.when I first heard the tjb on the Ed sullivan show playing a taste of honey and the 3rd man theme which I am trying to find on dvd, a taste of honey I saw that on you tube but not with 3rd man theme,from the going places back in 1965 that was the instrument I wanted to play. so I started taking lessons back in 1968 and I still play the trumpet to this day, thanks to your uncle. here is an idea,I am sure all of the other people here on the corner would agree, I like to say maybe you can talk to your uncle and have a offical release of all of tjb and herb's solo music videos like on mtv style and up to herb's latest one which is great by the way,and release them all on dvd. and you and your family have a nice holiday as well. take care Randy bob

Thanks randy I knew it was the benge because as a kid growing up listening to the tjb it was that tone in the benge trumpet and the style of music that I knew when listing to the radio when the tjb had a new release,and like on Magic man herb played a different trumpet.and tell your uncle, it was him that started me playing the trumpet,and I met your uncle back in 1968 while the brass did a 2 nighter at a place in cuyahoga falls, Ohio called the Blosson music center got his autograph and he took a slide picture with me and tonni kalash I was 13 at the time I had a orange tee shirt on . I am trying to find that picture, no luck.when I first heard the tjb on the Ed sullivan show playing a taste of honey and the 3rd man theme which I am trying to find on dvd, a taste of honey I saw that on you tube but not with 3rd man theme,from the going places back in 1965 that was the instrument I wanted to play. so I started taking lessons back in 1968 and I still play the trumpet to this day, thanks to your uncle. here is an idea,I am sure all of the other people here on the corner would agree, I like to say maybe you can talk to your uncle and have a offical release of all of tjb and herb's solo music videos like on mtv style and up to herb's latest one which is great by the way,and release them all on dvd. and you and your family have a nice holiday as well. take care Randy bob

What a wonderful story about meeting Herb and seeing the TJB on Ed Sullivan. Fantastic! I certainly remember being at The Blossum Music Center on Herb's Coney Island tour in the summer of 74. A huge thunder storm came out of nowhere mid show.. Your idea about the music videos is an excellent idea and something we have been looking into. Many problems exist as many of the master videos were lost during the sale of A&M to Polygram 25 years ago. For instance, we only have poor second or third generation copies of the videos for Rise, Rotation, Diamonds and several others. Many parts of the old TJB Specials are fading and falling a part much like the analog audio tapes. We are looking into preserving what we have but again many of the master song videos are gone. It is always nice to hear from you Bob. Hope you have a good holiday next week..

Your idea about the music videos is an excellent idea and something we have been looking into. Many problems exist as many of the master videos were lost during the sale of A&M to Polygram 25 years ago. For instance, we only have poor second or third generation copies of the videos for Rise, Rotation, Diamonds and several others. Many parts of the old TJB Specials are fading and falling a part much like the analog audio tapes. We are looking into preserving what we have but again many of the master song videos are gone.

Thanks for the info, Randy. I've wondered about this for years as well.

Hi Bob-
I believe that Herb played his usual Benge on both Ritz and the new album. But,,,, On Ritz Herb played with a mute which has a darker less brassy sound.

This is why I laughed when I saw that episode of Pawn Stars where the guy brought in [what looked like] a low budget trumpet 'autographed' by Herb Alpert. Who knows? Maybe Herb did autograph it... but that doesn't mean that he played it. Not even sure if the autograph was real. As I remember, Rick Harrison didn't even make an offer on it. I don't blame him. I wouldn't either.

to randy thanks for the reply, you mention the old TJB masters. here is another idea, the original 45 single releases like Tijuana taxi/ Zorba the Greek,with was for radio play and has the audience and extra honks on tijuana taxi, I have all of the singles releases as some are different mixes, mexican corn with has the piano part. I take it those masters are fading to as well. that would be if those would be released but I can understand about the tapes fading and drop out. just and idea.
bob

What a wonderful story about meeting Herb and seeing the TJB on Ed Sullivan. Fantastic! I certainly remember being at The Blossum Music Center on Herb's Coney Island tour in the summer of 74. A huge thunder storm came out of nowhere mid show.. Your idea about the music videos is an excellent idea and something we have been looking into. Many problems exist as many of the master videos were lost during the sale of A&M to Polygram 25 years ago. For instance, we only have poor second or third generation copies of the videos for Rise, Rotation, Diamonds and several others. Many parts of the old TJB Specials are fading and falling a part much like the analog audio tapes. We are looking into preserving what we have but again many of the master song videos are gone. It is always nice to hear from you Bob. Hope you have a good holiday next week..

Thanks for the info Randy. But yet its so sad that you guys lost a lot of material. Through circumstances beyond your control. Especially the TJB TV specials i hope you will be able to preserve what you can. And " strengthen what remains". And like Bob i played trumpet as a 5 th grader because of your uncle. I been a lifelong fan and i always hoped to find a trumpet exactly like His but i cant find Benge trumpets anywhere im sure they must be expensive.

bbrmn how you doing? you can check on ebay and type in benge trumpets and you will shocked as how much those benge trumpets are, 5 months ago I was trying trumpets at our local music store here where I live. i took lessons from the sons

dad back in 1968, so I tried a Yamaha zeno and his son now runs the store, he told me the yamaha zeno plays just like a Benge, so I played it and he was right, so I hoped I helped you out some.it is a easy blowing horn you do not have to blow hard into it. as I did research herb's benge trumpet as I believe, it is a 1940 model. as I read that somewhere.

take care
bob

bbrmn how you doing? you can check on ebay and type in benge trumpets and you will shocked as how much those benge trumpets are, 5 months ago I was trying trumpets at our local music store here where I live. i took lessons from the sons

dad back in 1968, so I tried a Yamaha zeno and his son now runs the store, he told me the yamaha zeno plays just like a Benge, so I played it and he was right, so I hoped I helped you out some.it is a easy blowing horn you do not have to blow hard into it. as I did research herb's benge trumpet as I believe, it is a 1940 model. as I read that somewhere.

take care
bob

Thanks Bob i will sure check that out. i havent had a horn since i sold my last one in 86 ( big mistake as i was 19 at the time) but nevertheless. My daughter suggested i get back into it and i told her " when i can find a horn like Herb Alpert's at a reasonable price then i will."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom