What do you think are their "lightest"/"darkest" albums?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In terms of overall tone of the collection of songs (arrangement, lyrics, vocals) which would you say most casts a darker shade and which do you think is their "brightest" album? I know that not all of their albums are totally consistent on one tone/theme, but I think it's interesting to think about.

For darkest, it has to be Horizon for me, followed by Close To You. Horizon feels like a full, complete set that has an almost languid, shaded mood to it. It flows beautifully (Postman aside) and has some of Karen's richest work. CTY also is a pretty somber album in a way. Despite the upbeat singles, it has an edge to it in the album cuts that creates incredible mood (Cresent Noon, Help, Another Song, etc) and has Karen's slightly raw but wholly beautiful vocals.

On the lighter side, and excluding the Christmas albums, I'd say that Passage sorta represents the other end of the spectrum (haha). Obviously there's always melancholy weaved into their music, but this set feels relatively upbeat and brighter in song choice and arrangement. It's a mixed bag but contains some fun, hopeful gems.

Nice thread BrandonBarry,

Lightest/Brightest would have to be Made in America. They were both trying for a "sunny" feel for that album and I think they achieved it. (and not necessarily for the better. . . Uninvited Guest, At the End of a Song and Rainbow Connection would make the album far better, imo)

Darkest would defo be Horizon. Sooo mournful (exc. Postman). Even "Happy" is a pretty sparse arrangement. . .it really doesn't sound that "happy".

I'd go with Neil on that one. Made In America definitely has that sunny, West Coast California sound to it, especially tracks like 'When You've Got What It Takes'. Horizon is definitely their darkest album, the tone is set from the first notes of 'Aurora' and continues right through the album, with the exception of 'Postman' which you can tell was recorded at a different time.

I'd say their lightest album would be 'Now and Then', with 'Offering' being their darkest. 'Eve' 'Ticket to Ride' and 'Nowadays Clancy Can't Even Sing' come to mind. So does the somber album cover. :)

I'd say their lightest album would be 'Now and Then', with 'Offering' being their darkest. 'Eve' 'Ticket to Ride' and 'Nowadays Clancy Can't Even Sing' come to mind. So does the somber album cover. :)

I was going to say N&T too but there's something dark about it - from the album cover to the wistfulness of the tunes - that makes a fascinating contrast to the intended, upbeat concept they set up.

I'd go with Neil on that one. Made In America definitely has that sunny, West Coast California sound to it, especially tracks like 'When You've Got What It Takes'.

I see what you're saying, but I think the whole behind the scenes situation of how the record was made casts a shadow over it. Karen in one of her worst times, this being made and her solo album spat on, and even her vocals on some sounds like she's just breaking down emotionally. Not going through the motions, but thoroughly living the emotions. The album cover is very different from what the reality was at the time which makes it more eerie. Also, Karen being mixed in back and not out front sounds like she's literally fading away or hiding beneath something (or someone) else, often an ethereal presence whose being told she's not the star this time.

Lightest - "Offering"

The thrill of discovery is palpable throughout this album. You can hear them trying things and having fun. You can also hear them not knowing how the whole thing is going to end up. The result is a fun record and one that's unique to anything else they did.

Heaviest - "Made in America"

It was a horse race between "Horizon" and this. I went with this because "Made..." feels utterly claustrophobic. This was an album that gave "safe" new definition. They relied on the tried and true and headed straight for the elevator. Karen's vocals are more part of the machine here than ever before. Even the happy stuff doesn't feel happy. There's a pall over the whole thing and that makes it far harder to listen to than any other in their catalog.

Ed

Lightest - "Offering"

The thrill of discovery is palpable throughout this album. You can hear them trying things and having fun. You can also hear them not knowing how the whole thing is going to end up. The result is a fun record and one that's unique to anything else they did.

Heaviest - "Made in America"

It was a horse race between "Horizon" and this. I went with this because "Made..." feels utterly claustrophobic. This was an album that gave "safe" new definition. They relied on the tried and true and headed straight for the elevator. Karen's vocals are more part of the machine here than ever before. Even the happy stuff doesn't feel happy. There's a pall over the whole thing and that makes it far harder to listen to than any other in their catalog.

Ed
Good summary of Offering. I am very fond of Horizon myself. But I agree with you about MIA.

Knowing what we know now of what was going on at the time, i.e. health issues, solo album shelved, concern over their stalled careers, I guess the result could have been worse.

The fact that their fans had gone so long not hearing anything from them, plus the disappointment that we would likely never hear Karen's solo album, made us so very happy to receive this album. And there are some gems, but personally I rarely listen to this album. It pales in comparison to their other work. That being said, Karen singing subpar is still better than some singers at their best.

I think Offering has a good deal of darkness to it - I totally understand what you guys are saying about how it's fresh and exciting to hear their youthful energy and I agree and love that - but the arrangements and vocals are rarely all that light in tone. The original cover is melancholy in a way, too - it suggests the sadness as an era closes with them looking rather glum and offering a sunflower out, as though it was a way of sharing the limited time left. Sunflowers are associated with that era and it's like a reminder of the times that once were. Very wistful, much like the music inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom