Was "Offering/Ticket To Ride" not originally released in the UK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Actorman

Or did Richard just "disown" it for a period of time?

I was just listening to the BBC concert from 1971 and Richard says: "We hope you enjoy the tunes that we've picked to do tonight. Most of them are featured on our two LPs, Close to You and the second one's called Carpenters..."

I remember buying the cassette "Ticket To Ride" back in 1973 at about the same time "Singles 1969-1973" was released. A&M released the album due to Carpenters success in the UK.

This version of TICKET TO RIDE was released in the UK on MFP sometime in the 70s:

carpenters_ticket_ride.jpg

It included the two big followup singles at the end, as I recall seeing in a record store once. I never bought it, but found this picture on the Internet.

Harry

Last edited:
But surely that cover isn't from 1970? The picture of Karen and Richard is from much later, around 1977/1978?

Offering wasn't released in the UK. Ticket to Ride was I think first released in 1972 (so wouldn't have been out at the time when Richard made that comment during the Live at the BBC show) and made #20. It was then reissued in 1975 (presumably to capitalise on the fact that Horizon was riding high in the UK charts at the time) and made #35.

It was then reissued again on the budget Music for Pleasure (MfP) label in 1978 with the revised cover shown in Harry's message above. On that release, 'Invocation' and 'Benediction' were dropped and replaced with '(They Long to Be) Close to You' and 'We've Only Just Begun'.

No, in fact the liner notes refer to SINGLES 69-73, so it had to be issued later. Also, being on budget label MFP would make it a later issue - sort of like the Rebound issue of TICKET in the States.

The back Cover of this pressing from MFP/EMI goes on to say:
"..Herb Alpert ,biggest selling artist of the sixties, discovered the act that was going to fill that role in the Seventies."
"..Carpenters have gone on to sell more than 25 million singles and albums, while their Singles 1969-1973 compilation
is one of the biggest-selling LP's of all time."
I have searched the sleeve and LP and there is no date of pressing/manufacture to be found.
The record plays and sounds nice, though.

That cover always turned me off. Looks cheap compared to the boat cover, which has always been my favorite Carpenters album cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom