Vinyl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Song4uman

Seeing more and more vinyl is stores.... Specifically Barnes and Noble. I wish carpenters albums would be reissued on vinyl.

I have a feeling this stuff will make a comeback! I just purchased another mint copy of Offering yesterday and ended up with a few extras that were "thrown in", including The Singles, 1969-1973 quadraphonic as well as a couple of Japanese import double-LP sets. It definitely got me excited about vinyl again as I was going back through my collection. I really think this stuff is going to see a resurgence - just a matter of time :wink:

2/10/2015 Forbes
Vinyl Sales Grew More Than 50% In 2014
"It should come as no surprise to almost anybody that sales in the music industry have been declining for over a decade,
and with the advent of streaming services, it looks like the trend that was started by piracy sites like Napster isn’t going to end anytime soon.
One small bit of good news for the industry is that while digital and physical albums and singles tumble, vinyl is making a comeback, and it’s doing so in a very big way.
The number of wax records sold in 2014 was up over50% from the previous year. That kind of growth could be appreciated by any industry, let alone one that has been flailing for years.
It is especially impressive that these gains were seen in records, as many had essentially counted them out decades ago. Since they were the primary way of accessing music,
plenty of other mediums have come (and gone), including cassettes, CDs, and now digital albums and singes.
While the growth looks impressive when expressed as a percentage, the actual number of records sold doesn’t paint the same picture.
There were fewer than 10 million (9.2 million to be exact) albums sold in the US last year. That’s the biggest figure the industry has ever seen,
at least since Billboard began using the SoundScan system back in 1991 for more accurate charting numbers. 10 million is a great number for vinyl,
but it actually only represents about six percent of all albums sold throughout 2014, so it’s not time to claim total victory for the format just yet.
Jack White helped move his fair share of 12” records this year, as his latest collection Lazaretto was the best-selling title of the year.
It opened with an amazing 40,000 sold in one week (that’s just vinyl, mind you), and ended up moving just under 87,000 by year’s end.
Vinyl has been on the rise for years now, and the trend looks like it’ll continue for the time being. 2014 was the fourth year in a row where a new all-time high was established in the medium.
Between 2004 and 2007, less than one millionalbums were sold in the US (per year), so to reach a number like 9.2 million—
in an environment where purchasing music has become less necessary than ever—is astounding.
Now that major retailers like Target, Whole Foods, and even Urban Outfitters (which, despite their claims,
is not the biggest purveyor of albums in the country) carry vinyl, we may see an even greater spike in the coming years, helping soften the blow everyone in the industry is already feeling."

I have 2 copies of Offering on LP, one is the standard tan label and the other is a promo white label both I paid a pretty penny. It's getting harder and harder to find the LP cover in excellent condition, most have scuffs or acid wash spots or ring wear. I have ring wear and acid spots on my original cover but the WLP promo cover is close to excellent. The funny thing is the WLP Lp has more surface noise (just clicks and pops) the original LP actually sounds a lot better very quiet. I'm still happy because I have 1 LP that sounds great and 1 cover that looks great. :)
It only cost me $160.00 to get it. :laugh:

I shrink wrapped offeringback in the day I paid $200 for mine and its just very good condition

I paid about $200 for my "Offering" and it was very well taken care of before it became mine.

Vinyl is absolutely coming back in a very big way. I'm seeing it in places I never did before. Guitar Center has a rack full of it, Best Buy - heck, even Target has some. Not all of it is analog-sourced so be careful but much of it is and I'm loving it.

Ed

All I can say is "wow." The most expensive copy of Offering I ever bought was $25. That was for a white-label promo. Of course, that was more than 30 years ago, so I guess inflation should be taken into account. I just remember being a little horrified that I was spending so much on a record that I already owned multiple copies of (both as Offering and Ticket to Ride).

I'm now the proud owner of a mint copy of Offering, still in its original shrink wrap. The vinyl has no ring wear and looks like it's never been played and the cover has no scuffs, no blemishes or acid spots. BIG tick off my bucket list! You can't believe the excitement I had opening up the package which has travelled all the way from Redondo Beach, California :love:

Last edited:
I am a huge vinyl fan, so I started collecting Carpenters LPs. So far I have :
The Singles 1969-1973
Horizon
A Kind of Hush
Yesterday Once More (although only disc one is on the sleeve)

I prefer the old vinyls to new ones. :)

Cordell, I like your avatar! That's my favourite ABBA album :). Here's a recent purchase of mine...not an original obviously but hell it looks great on my wall!

91JTI8lwefL._SL1500__zpstfhapnnc.jpg

Cordell, I can see why your being an ABBA fan brought you to Carpenters music eventually. I like ABBA's harmonies, i.e. Take a Chance on Me. I'm sure you're very familiar with the musical Mamma Mia. It's a favorite of mine.

Welcome to Carpenter land.

Nothing I have is really mint; everything plays good, but cover wear, "fell off the shelf dents", and "previous owners' names", or other "junk written here 'n' there", kind'a marred my treasures...

I cleaned out whatever sections of whatever groups/artists were left from whatever record stores at least have stayed open for the-nearly-thirty-years, since "going big-time" in my record collecting has begun...

I know there's stuff I missed that it's hard to go back through time to have started collecting sooner...

So best wishes for completing our vinyl, CD--whatever hard-copy media we are so accustomed to committing ourselves to & under God's grace, may we continue unlimited playing & listening to in good health, in the remainder of 2015, and the coming years, beginning in a very happy & prosperous 2016...!

-- Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom