Unusual variant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffM

I just bought a bunch of 45's which includes a copy of "Close To You" that differs from others I've seen. The title on the label is THEY WANT TO BE CLOSE TO YOU; all caps, no parentheses, and has master number 1962-S; the other side is I Kept On Loving You with master number 1961-S, which would seem to imply that this was the "A" side and "Close" was the B-side; both sides are stereo.

Tried to look this up at your site and your search engine rejected all the words except "close" as "too short" and "too common." So forgive me if you've answered this question a dozen times; but is this copy anything out of the ordinary?

Does it really say "WANT" instead of "LONG"?

All of the variants of the label have the b-side with the lower number. That was either a mistake, or at one time, someone thought "I Kept On Loving You" was going to be the a-side.

Does yours match any of these? http://www.45cat.com/record/1193us

Harry

Oops, I should have posted "long," not "want." (That's what you get for posting about 1 AM...kids, don't post when tired!) And yes, it does match one of the labels shown. Thanks! I never realized there were so many variations on the "same" label. At least my "Close To You" blooper wasn't as bad as the singer who went on a live TV broadcast years ago and sang "Why do birds fall down from the sky, every time you walk by?" Sounds like a serious hygiene problem to me...

Exciting news!! A new Carpenters release!
Really looking forward to it..... Apart from seeing what the track list will be, its interesting to see the new artwork and any liner notes etc.
It takes me back to when I worked in a record store in 1984/85 and i played the UK yesterday once more vinyl double album on the public system at least once a day. I took great pride when a customer brought it up to the counter buy it!
However, the manager of the store in the end insisted that we have a break for a while. He detested the full 'Argentina' prelude, I said i can skip that track if you like... but to no avail, he was the manager after all....... what did he know?????? hehe.
I was trying to think of a track that hasn't been in a compilation before......... Took me a while but how about for the first time - PRIME TIME LOVE? Or THE UNINVITED GUEST? Even YOU'RE ENOUGH?
What never or very rarely anthologised track would you like to be included as the 'wild card' inclusion?
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom