TJB's Last Gig

Status
Not open for further replies.

alpertfan

When and where was the last concert by the original TJB? Was there an official announcement from A&M Records or anywhere else that the touring group was breaking up and would no longer be going out on the road?

There was an article in Billboard in December '69 that Herb disbanded the Brass and he would focus on A&M operations for a while.

Capt. Bacardi

It would be interesting to work back in time and figure out the last live appearance of the band......obviously they wouldn't have known it was the last gig at the time.

My database for TJB concerts shows December 5, 1969 (unconfirmed) at the Forum in Inglewood. I'm looking back to find the article that I researched.

Last edited:
My "archives" have this undated article (the ads on the back have coupons that expire Apr 24th, but I don't have the year).

scan0004.jpg

The column is from the now-defunct Philadelphia Evening Bulletin.

Now, obviously the writer has a few facts askew, like naming the new Herb Alpert album "WINGS". We all know that was Michel Colombier's album on which Herb collaborated. Did WINGS and SUMMERTIME come out around the same time?

Harry

There was a short Billboard article either very late '69 or early '70, indicating that the TJB and BMB were stopping their concerts and just doing recordings - darned if I can find it now!

Did WINGS and SUMMERTIME come out around the same time?
According to Michel Colombier's website, WINGS came out in '70. I think SUMMERTIME was a '71 release, was it not? Still, pretty close together.

What's strange about that article is, there was never a TJB album with "elaborate orchestrations, woodwinds and strings." I wonder if the writer was really writing about the Colombier album, but saw that Herb was producing and performing on that album, and got some facts mixed up?

I don't have an original WINGS album, just the reissue versions on both LP and CD. The liner notes on those pin it to 1977, and refer to Colombier looking back SIX years. And the whole project is listed as Alpert's idea.

Colombier said:
"Herb said he wanted to try the idea of combining pop and symphonic music, so we gave it a go."

Harry

Wings was nominated for three Grammys in 1972, meaning it was released sometime in the eligibility period of late 70-late 71....so they could all be right and it rolled out somewhere in the Dec 70-Jan 71 ballpark.....

There's a full page ad in the April 24, 1971 issue of Billboard announcing the release of Wings with the pic of Michel that was on the original album.

Herb and the TJB performed in Europe by the end of 1969. According to Herb Alpert Presents the concert at the Royal Festival Hall took place on Dec 24th 1969. However, I believe it must have happened earlier. I know it was aired on British TV on New Year's Eve, though.

- greetings from the cold north -
Martin

As for the TJB "concept," that didn't really go away until the JUST YOU AND ME album. The Brass may have broken up as a performing act at the end of 1969, but the name was used in 1970 for the "Jerusalem" single, then the SUMMERTIME album in 1971. Following that, the name appeared (and rightly so) on the SOLID BRASS compilation in 1972. The TJB-TNG got started the next year with the "Last Tango In Paris" single and ran all the way to the "Whistle Song" singe in mid-1975.

Um, yeah. Late 1969 would be right, unless they had something planned for when they got back to the US in early 1970.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom