TJB classics volume 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob

I forgot if this topic was posted, I have 3 copies of the TJB classics and I remember I might of have had the

first pressing with the mis track number being around track 14 & 15 with Jerusalem time being at 1:19

the copy I have with the timing as 2:33 with the total time being 62:37 but on the label it self it gives no

timing. the second is 62:37. I have. so my question which one is the track with the mis track.

then the 3rd one I have has the timing as 63:34.

thanks bob

Yes, it was posted earlier under a Classics Series thread. I provided the info requested there:
----------------------------------------------
Early pressings of this disc have an error in the track programming. "So What's New" and "Spanish Flea" are combined onto one longer track. Then they split up "Zorba The Greek" into two parts to get back on track.

After the error was discovered, A&M repressed it with the corrected track indexing.
----------------------------------------------

Harry

Thanks Harry for the answer, so the insert would have the same track listing as on the back ok thanks
bob

Bob,

To tell you the truth, I never noticed the change on the insert/track listing, but there IS a difference - and can be noted in three places.

While both outer packages (spine) list CD 2501, and both have the same UPC # of 0 7502-12501-2, the differences are as follows:
- If you have the original with the track-indexing error, your fold-over insert, and back panel will list the total time as 63:34. It will also have "So What's New" at the top of the second column. This original issue has a disc with CD 2501 as its catalog number at the bottom of the disc. It may or may not say "Made In Japan". Both of mine say that.
- If you have the "fixed" version, the fold-over insert and back panel will list the total time of 62:37. It will have placed "So What's New" at the bottom of the first column, and the disc will have its catalog number as 75021 2501 2. It will likely say "Made In U.S.A." My fixed copy says that.

So with this empirical evidence, it looks as if A&M started having its discs manufactured in the US and corrected the flaws at that time. Fascinatnng... Thanks Bob for pointing that out.

Harry

harry thanks again for the answer the one I bought yesterday at a used CD store. as the same catalog number cd- 2501 and the UPC code. on mine on the label it lists Jeruslam as 1:19 and zorba the greek aa 3:05.
and so what's new on the label is is on the right side. and the back panel with so what's new at the right top total time is 63:34. but the insert track 14 is spanish flea is on the right top.and lists it as 62:37 but the actual cd
plays every track separate from 1 to 25.. and the cd was mfd for BMG.

bob

So then it would seem that the BMG discs also contain the "error" in track indexing.

harry on the bng disc I got they had the corrected track. but as I said on the disc it self had jeruslam as 1:19 and Zorba the greek as 3:05 strange and on the back it has the tracking for Jeruslam as 1:19 and Zorba as 3:05 but the booklet as is as the ccrrected times
bpb

Ah, so the disc is corrected, but the artwork isn't. OK. Got it.

Sound-wise, this was a terrible sounding series...just CD "product" thrown out as a 25th anniversary commemorative. Many of the discs also had errors, as noted here. The Supertramp disc had some really bad editing.

The whole series was sloppy, rushed. It's no surprise there are so many errors...

Rudy you are right the sound to me being a sound tech, on some I heard a lot of hiss,maybe if Herb allows it maybe they will get remastered on the shout label. but I doubt that very much.what they should bave done inclused the baja marimba band in those series.

bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom