Tidbits from Variety

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMK

Contributor
I have access to the archives of Variety for my film writing gig, and I decided on a lark today to search Sergio during the heyday years of B66. Lots of really interesting articles/ads, including full page "congratulations" in 1968 from A&M for a weeklong gig at the Greek Theater (with one of those evocative mid-sixties charcoal illustrations), as well as an ad touting their Oscar performance with a pic of Karen (for those who wondered if Janis was still singing with them at that point). Most interesting from a kind of funny historical perspective was one from August 1974 headlined "Sergio Mendes Needed a Barrel at Niagara," detailing two mini-disasters--his engineer and equipment manager were both arrested for possession (acid, pot) and that night's performance took place on the day Nixon resigned, something the article attributes to a paltry audience showing up (fewer than 1500 seats sold in an 8K auditorium).

Were there any tid-bits about albums, songs or other projects that never materialized?
I've always wonder what unreleased Sergio & Co. material there is.

One thing I forgot to mention is that there's an announcement that Sergio had a second agent in 1969 solely devoted to pitching a television variety series which would be filmed in Brasil and Los Angeles. Those of you as obsessive about Sergio as (ahem) I am may recall Sergio talks about "my television show" in his banter with Tom Jones when Brasil '66 was on Jones' show (in either 1969 or 1970, can't recall). I've always wondered if there was a regular variety show Sergio hosted in Brasil, but I haven't ever been able to track down definitive information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom