⭐ Official Review [Compilation] "LOVE SONGS" (A&M 31454 0838 2)

HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ALBUM?

• ***** (BEST)

Votes: 6 18.8%

Votes: 12 37.5%

Votes: 12 37.5%

Votes: 2 6.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
“LOVE SONGS”

Love Songs.jpg

Catalogue Number: A&M 31454 0838 2
Year of Release: 1997
Medium: CD

Track Listing:

1.) I Need To Be In Love
2.) Solitaire
3.) We've Only Just Begun
4.) This Masquerade
5.) You're The One
6.) Superstar
7.) Rainy Days And Mondays
8.) Top Of The World
9.) Make Believe It's Your First Time
10.) I Just Fall In Love Again
11.) (They Long To Be) Close To You
12.) For All We Know
13.) Where Do I Go From Here?
14.) Only Yesterday
15.) All You Get From Love Is A Love Song
16.) When I Fall In Love
17.) Hurting Each Other
18.) I Won't Last A Day Without You
19.) A Song For You
20.) Goodbye To Love

Credits:

Digital Re-mastering: Roger Wake at Bourbery-Wake.
Compiled by Mike Gill & Peter Thorne at C-Dreams
Special thanks to Ian Ashbridge, Jayne Homer and Allen Cawte, A&M Records, London
Design Ryan Art
Liner Notes: Paul Lester

This compilation (P) & (C) 1997 A&M Records, Inc., a PolyGram Company, P.O. Box 118 Hollywood, CA 90078.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It occured to me that in our "Official Review" series, we never got around to doing LOVE SONGS. This is a fairly important compilation on the Carpenters' canon, being a best seller since its inception.

This LOVE SONGS compilation was compiled, conceived, and released for the British market back in 1997. Its success prompted A&M/PolyGram in the States to issue the CD a year later.

Last edited by a moderator:
If nothing else, LOVE SONGS is a classy package. From its glossy-paper booklet with a silver-foil color scheme, to its stark white disc with a classy silver Carpenters logo contained in a white jewel case tray, to its foil picture of the duo on the back, this is one good-looking compilation.

Being released in 1997-8, it basically preceeded the ubiquitous years of the Internet. I recall learning of it here at an early incarnation of A&M Corner - that it had been released in England. Fans were importing it, and then I learned of its soon-to-be-released status in the States, so I waited to pick it up then.

I can't say I've ever been thrilled with the track listing. It starts with two decidedly slow, plodding songs, "I Need To Be In Love" and "Solitaire".

At the time, "I Need To Be In Love" was a welcome full-length album version. The one on the A KIND OF HUSH CD that was out at the time contained the shorter, single version. Most of the tracks are from 1991 remixes.

There are two pages of liner notes, two pages of song credits, and seven pages of lyrics in the booklet. There are a few pictures in the booklet as well, including Karen in her Lead Sister t-shirt and the duo in a smiling pose from the HORIZON photo shoot.

So, how did you find out about LOVE SONGS? Did you buy it when it was first out or later on? Did you buy it at all? How do you feel about it today?

Harry

I have yet to ever buy it (or even see it!) From your description of the package I might look for it just to add it to my collection, packaging fan that I am, but it's definitely not a must-have for me. I suppose this collection picks up steam every February.

In all uniqueness & owed to the fact that these are "Love Songs", then this collection is first rate, if to add one more factor, that these are ALL the songs which qualify as being such in their career, at least as far as "hits", if not being well-known compositions are concerned...

Otherwise, compared to other sets where more up-beat material such as "Touch Me When We're Dancing", "Please Mr. Postman" and "BE (Beechwood) 4-5789" would be included, then this collection would rank a bit sub-par...

However the plus, besides it being an "alternative" Singles..., set, is that it is truly an album worth coming home, winding down & relaxing to, after a tiring day...

Hence, an interesting "underdog" set, but basically one to own if you have something such as the bigger Classics, Vol. 2 set, or at least even Singles 1969-1973 in your collection...

File w/ The Isley Brothers Sheet Music (--a collection of their "love songs"...)

Dave

This is an album which seems entirely pointless to me. If you're wanting an album of "love" songs, you'd expect, well, love songs. Not songs about loneliness, isolation, depression. I guess I just don't categorize songs like "Solitaire" and "Rainy Days and Mondays" as "love" songs.

Not a great album to give to your sweetheart for Valentine's Day, for sure. "Goodbye to Love"? Not romantic.

As Harry noted, it is also extremely ballad-heavy. Where's "Happy"? That's one of the best "love" songs in the Carpenters catalog.

To me, this album felt like a way to sell the same songs in yet one more compilation.

David

As Harry noted, it is also extremely ballad-heavy. Where's "Happy"? That's one of the best "love" songs in the Carpenters catalog.
They could have also included "Saturday." I mean, it does include the lyric "Love is in the world since Saturday" and "Saturday, Saturday, ever-lovin' Saturday!" Also "I Kept On Lovin' You" would be good.

I gave it 3 stars. I agree it's an odd title for the choice of songs included. It appears though that alot of thought went into creating the CD, the liner booklet inside is huge and it does have a nice collection of photos. My favorite is the back foil looking photo in the car reminds me of my poster of the sleeping Karen photo session of ATGB. I enjoy it more because of the lesser known tracks included like You're the One, Where Do I Go From Here and When I Fall in Love.

Japan had released a similar CD of Olivia back in 2004 with the same title with an unusual cover photo of Olivia that reminds me of Princess Di. However the choice of tracks on Olivia's Love Songs CD fits with the title. It also includes love song duets of Face to Face with Barry Gibb and 2 Andy Gibb tracks, Suddenly with Cliff and some of Olivia's greatest love song, Pony Ride a song about her love of horses, I honestly love you and other love songs. The Japanese did a great job with Olivia's including a huge inner book with lyrics in English and Japanese and a nice collection of photos including a rare one under the CD of Olivia playing the piano looking like 78 (1st part Sandy look Grease era).

As Compilations go, this is one of the more interesting. And it got a lot of TV promo as i recall, and newspaper print ads. I'd see the Love Songs promotions late at night, and I think it sold quite well at the time it was released. So whether you like the track listing or not, it is up there on promotion and sales.

aaflyer98 said:
As Compilations go, this is one of the more interesting. And it got a lot of TV promo as i recall, and newspaper print ads. I'd see the Love Songs promotions late at night, and I think it sold quite well at the time it was released. So whether you like the track listing or not, it is up there on promotion and sales.

YouTube has a LOVE SONGS commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLm16RwyWKU

Harry

I think it did farily well on the Billboard charts as well.... I always liked it. I agree that Solitaire was not your typical "love song" but all in all I liked the track list.... and loved the packaging.

I, too, really liked this compilation. I thought it one of best of the bunch. I believe it was one of the best-selling of the various compilation discs, too.

This is a very important compilation in Carpenters history. At least for me. I remember seeing the commercial on TV for the album and I recognized the songs as songs my parents used to listen to in the car when I was young. So I dug through their collection and found their "The Singles 1969-1973" cassette and from then on, I was hooked. "Love Songs" was my first Carpenters CD. Those were good times.

I agree with a lot that has been commented on already. When I purchased it, I was pleasantly surprised to see it prominently displayed - at Tower Records, with a kiosk of sorts. I wholeheartedly agree that this was not a true Love Songs set, but was happy they included Where Do I Go From Here? and You're the One - two of my favorites.

CARPENTERS Still Flying!!!!
Love Songs debuts and hits the Billboard top 200 chart at #195 issue April 18, 1998
see short article on right side Now And Then:

Billboard%20Carpenters%20Love%20Songs%20Debut%20April%2018%201998.png~original

Love Songs remains the most comprehensive single-disc compilation-and it was released 17 years ago today(US).

Initial copies of the disc pressed in 1998 included an advertising insert for Karen's solo album-and Richard's PACC album,which was released two months prior to Love Songs.
In all uniqueness & owed to the fact that these are "Love Songs", then this collection is first rate, if to add one more factor, that these are ALL the songs which qualify as being such in their career, at least as far as "hits", if not being well-known compositions are concerned...

Otherwise, compared to other sets where more up-beat material such as "Touch Me When We're Dancing", "Please Mr. Postman" and "BE (Beechwood) 4-5789" would be included, then this collection would rank a bit sub-par...

However the plus, besides it being an "alternative" Singles..., set, is that it is truly an album worth coming home, winding down & relaxing to, after a tiring day...

Hence, an interesting "underdog" set, but basically one to own if you have something such as the bigger Classics, Vol. 2 set, or at least even Singles 1969-1973 in your collection...

File w/ The Isley Brothers Sheet Music (--a collection of their "love songs"...)

Dave
Far from being the "Underdog" set,Love Songs is the best-selling single-disc compilation in the CD era-and has long-outlived both The Singles 1969-1973 and Classics Vol. 2.

Love Songs is a superior replacement,rather than companion set,to those previous compilations.

It must be doing very well still in Japan as they have just recently re-issued Love Songs on SHM format. I think they knocked it out of the park with the packaging, simple front cover art that looks elegant and nicely embossed with a terrific photo on the back that looks mirrored/foiled.

It appears that Love Songs peaked on Billboard Top 200 at #106
It's circled in green because that denotes albums with the biggest sales gains
the first column (green circle) is for this week May 16 1998
2nd column is what it charted the week before
3rd column is what it charted 3 weeks ago
4th column is how many weeks it's been on the charts

Billboard%20Love%20Songs%20Hits%20106%20on%20May%2016%201998.png~original

They still have this on sale at HMV sometimes. I think the only reason I bought it was because it had the single version of Won't Last a Day Without You (slower speed and added guitar bits) which I didn't have on the Only Yesterday greatest hits album or the Song For You album back then. The Gold hits album came out a few years later with the same re-vamped version. I don't listen to Love Songs (I agree with others regarding the track order and choices) but it does look good and the booklet and photos are a bonus.

Has anyone ever considered that the track listing was an attempt at telling a love story? It starts with "I Need To Be In Love" and "Solitaire" and ends with lovers hurting each other and saying "Goodbye To Love."

That just hit me today - but then again I don't pay to much attention to lyrics.

Harry

If it is an attempt at a love story then it's one heck of a tumultuous one. Given the on-again off-again nature of the relationship a follow up cd is long overdue to continue the saga as I can't help thinking they will have lost those bitter memories, believed in one another again, and found something to live for... at least for a bit.

It appears that Love Songs peaked on Billboard Top 200 at #106
It's circled in green because that denotes albums with the biggest sales gains
the first column (green circle) is for this week May 16 1998
2nd column is what it charted the week before
3rd column is what it charted 3 weeks ago
4th column is how many weeks it's been on the charts

Billboard%20Love%20Songs%20Hits%20106%20on%20May%2016%201998.png~original
How did it ever go gold?

Love Songs remains the most comprehensive single-disc compilation-and it was released 17 years ago today(US).

Initial copies of the disc pressed in 1998 included an advertising insert for Karen's solo album-and Richard's PACC album,which was released two months prior to Love Songs.

Far from being the "Underdog" set,Love Songs is the best-selling single-disc compilation in the CD era-and has long-outlived both The Singles 1969-1973 and Classics Vol. 2.

Love Songs is a superior replacement,rather than companion set,to those previous compilations.
The Singles is superior. Love Songs is just another compilation in a long line of compilations. It does not have that continuous soundtrack quality of The Singles that so effectively captured one moment in time.

Has anyone ever considered that the track listing was an attempt at telling a love story? It starts with "I Need To Be In Love" and "Solitaire" and ends with lovers hurting each other and saying "Goodbye To Love."

That just hit me today - but then again I don't pay to much attention to lyrics.

Harry
I never noticed that! I wonder if Richard, or whomever decided the order of the songs, consciously planned it that way. Or was it a Freudian slip??

Back
Top Bottom