Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

The L.A. 4
THE L.A. 4
Concord Jazz CJ-18
upload_2014-4-20_13-51-25.jpeg

Released 1976

Produced by Carl E. Jefferson, President Concord Jazz, Inc.

Songs:

1. Dindi (Ray Gilbert/Antonio Carlos Jobim) - 5:52
2. Rainbows (Bud Shank) - 6:41
3. Rondo Espressivo (Carl Philipp Emannuel Bach) - 4:40
4. Manteca (John Birks Gillespie/Walter Fuller) - 7:42
5. St. Thomas (Sonny Rollins) - 7:26
6. Concierto De Aranjuez (Joaquin Rodrigo) - 13:14
Musicians:
Laurindo Almeida - Guitar
Ray Brown - Bass
Shelly Manne - Drums et al
Bud Shank - Alto Sax and Flute

Recorded at Spectrum Studios, Venice CA
Recording Engineer: Jamie Wilson
Remixed at Wally Heider's, San Francisco, CA
Remix Engineer: Phil Edwards
Mastered at CBS Studios, San Francisco, CA

Photography: Max Hellweg
Art Direction: Karin Limmroth
Liner notes: Gordon Raddue

Capt. Bacardi

This album was reissued with the title Concierto De Aranjuez and a different cover:

MI0001782806.jpg

You can hear song samples at the All Music Guide site: http://www.allmusic.com/album/concierto-de-aranjuez-mw0000192917

Capt. Bacardi

Can't say I ever listened, but my mother liked this group and had a couple of their LPs back in the day. I should dig through storage and see if I can still find them. Heck, I saved everything else.

This is a cool little album. A completely acoustic set playing a mix of jazz, bossas and classical pieces. These guys are all top-notch musicians by themselves to begin with, and they really make these songs alive. Bud Shank is just lights out on flute on "Manteca" and "St. Thomas". He has this effortless way of playing. He also plays a gorgeous alto on his "Rainbows". Ray Brown shines on "Manteca", playing the melody as well as the rhythm. The only negative here is a rather long-winded version of "Aranjuez", which has its moments but doesn't seem to go anywhere. That small flaw aside, this is a great album.

Capt. Bacardi

I have another LP of theirs called Just Friends, which was one of the first Direct-to-Disc Lps that I can remember (this was '78). This group was perfect for that format.

Capt. Bacardi

Reminds me, my mother had an album called Braziliance with Laurindo Almeida and (I'm almost certain) Bud Shank, so they've worked together a few times. I should give it a cleaning and spin it one of these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom