The Joy of Easy Listening documentary with Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.

WYBIMLA

Lately I've been watching quite a bit of documentaries out of interest.
First (before I get to the title of this thread) I stumbled upon a series of four programmes from 2006 called "How music works" presented by Howard Goodall. He talked about melody, harmony, rhythm, and bass.
Afterwards I related these elements to the work of Carpenters, and it blew my mind to think how effectively they used these in their songs. You think about the level of musicianship and intelligence throughout.
It's as if they're from another world.
If you already have some basic music knowledge then it may not mean that much to you, but it amazed me when it was put like this. It brought freshness and breathed new life into something I've listened to a thousand times. So, if you feel any of it's become dull or possibly tainted for you I'd recommend something like this. The more I've looked into it...the better the listening experience has become and you can hear a lot more of what was involved. Not to say that everything Carpenters did was the best (I'm a fan, but not so much that I lose my head) but I hope you get what I'm saying.
It is available on youtube. It's free, so if you have the time...parts of this may give you greater appreciation. It almost encourages you to become less critical, you develop a more well rounded view, you can just enjoy things more, and give the artist a break. The more I've learned about music and the history of it you realize how incredible it is and perhaps how intimidating it could be to step into that. It's also a real testament to the power of music itself and how it effects us.

Then, that lead me to look more into the "adult contemporary" genre because it is one I tend to favour. I found a documentary on that exactly. It features Richard throughout the presentation. He is seen looking visibly agitated at some of the questioning... about ideas of "coolness" and how he was treated even within A&M.
That's what I took away from this. The level of criticism. I had no idea how much heat people have had to take who were considered among the "easy listening" genre. You'll see for a number of reasons (including politically) why it's hard to be "middle of the road", but also the positive aspects to their credit.

Wow- Karen sounded great live- as expected. Richard had a right to be pissed. They were treated poorly for sure.

Very nostalgic indeed. Brought back memories of hearing the songs I listened to on Top 40 radio being "shadowed" on my mother's easy listening station. I never realized the history of easy listening music went back so far. Thank you for posting this.

GREAT post! I grew up listening to these albums my parents would play on our wood-grained stereo/furniture-thing. Mantovani, Anita Kerr/Living Voices, Percy Faith. I have transferred many of these out-of-print albums to mp3s for my iPod and was delighted to find so many of these musicians on Spotify when I drank that Kool-Aid last year. Interesting how the documentary compares Easy Listening to Rock from that era - compelling. Great to hear Richard’s spot-on commentary (RC is GENIUS). Sidebar: the other day I overheard my 2.5 year-old son singing, “...rainy days and Mondays always get me dooooownnnn.” Parenting win.

Thanks for posting that. I really enjoyed it! I like how it said there are elements of all styles and that those styles and sounds are celebrated and to this day continue as a revival. It also goes to show that just when I think I have played Karen enough for one week, I want to play another stack of her voice after listening and watching this video. I guess I am hooked on easy listening and the voice of Karen Carpenter as its best messenger.
What about poppy-cock? Is that related to the word 'garbage' that Karen used on the Bruce Forsyth Show - those picky, fussy, American words?

Also: remarkable to hear RC’s description of the differences between his and Dionne Warwick’s version of “Close To You.” He perfectly captured the subtleties that made Carpenters’ rendition an instant classic and the definitive version that it is...

This is off topic, but does someone know what thread on here is the one where Burt Bacharach's Close To You version is talked about and someone linked the end of the documentary film that included it. I can't find anything in the search bar, and what documentary was that?

It's not a documentary but the closing credits for the YESTERDAY ONCE MORE video (now called GOLD).

At 55:25 sec, Heb Alpert says :
"... it wasn't the type of music that I normally listen to,
but, I recognized there was something in her voice
."

November 23,1983, Nevada Daily Mail:
Richard Carpenter: "Karen was a ballad singer."
June 28, 1985, Mohave Daily Miner:
Richard Carpenter,
"... he is only comfortable performing in the softer style for which the Carpenters are known."
And, Coleman (1994,page 273) : "...I strongly believe she was never meant to do Disco."

Certainly, these quotes coupled with the above Easy Listening documentary
are suggestive in delineating perceptions pertaining to Carpenters' career.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom