The Carpenters in a '70s Saturday Morning Cartoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

moog

We discuss many serious things here. This will NOT be one of them. :wink:

The Jackson Five did a Saturday morning cartoon. The Osmonds did one. Cass Elliott and a whole bunch of other '70s acts made guest appearances on "Scooby Doo" and the like. Whether it was animated by Hanna-Barbera, Rankin-Bass, or whatever cheap animation studio it would be, what if... horror upon horrors... you turned on the TV one Saturday morning in the 1970s to see the Carpenters starring in their very own cartoon? :afro:

(I'm sure Karen would've gotten a kick out of it, and Richard would've LOATHED it, and I just think it's hysterical to think about their manager putting them up to doing one). I can just imagine:

KAREN: "Aw, c'mon Rich, it'll be a gas!"
RICHARD: "NO. This has got to be the cheesiest thing we've ever done. This will NOT help our image problem."
KAREN: "Aw, it could be worse. We could be doing disco... IN SPAAAAACE!"

:D

So: Would our dynamic duo...

Solve mysteries?
Have an animal sidekick that talks unintelligibly?
Encounter wacky hijinks on tour?
Interact with a character that inexplicably has magic powers?
What would their "cartoon personas" be like? Would Richard constantly be into cars? Would Karen be swooned over by men with little cartoon hearts around them?

For possible plot ideas, here's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Jackson_5ive_(TV_series) .

Have fun! (And perhaps nightmares). :twisted:

I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't brought up to them at some point in the careers. Especially around 1970-1971.

Hey, those Hanna-Barbera shows look like works of art compared to the butt-ugly Seth MacFarland-type shows we get now; all those have to offer is snark for audiences who think they're simply too hip to live.

The Brady Kids and the animated Star Trek both reverted back to Paramount Television after their network run, which was a fortunate thing as Hallmark Cards, who bought the Filmation Associates library after L'Oreal Cosmetics took over and closed down that cartoon studio; considered the films to be of little or no value and destroyed all the master negatives and soundtracks. Video masters made at 25 fps for European TV are all that exist now of most of Filmation's shows. Hallmark also came close to destroying all the original negs of the Laurel and Hardy movies simply because they were tired of paying the warehouse bills to store them. (A third party intervention prevented that, and the L & H films are now being restored at UCLA Film Archives.) When you care enough, right? :evil:

Reminds me of some cartoon-like versions of The Corrs I once saw on the web somewhere.

animatedcorrs_sm_143Records.jpg

Harry

I was reviewing the Carpenters newsletters and came across this comic posted in the Sept 1991 newsletter. Since today is Sunday, how about some Sunday funnies...

DoonesburyCarpentersComic.jpg~original

Well, shoot! It looks like ALL those Soup To Nutz strips somehow relates to our topic--or at least MUSIC, if not poking some fun at our A&M Corner...! :winkgrin:

-- Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom