t.A.T.u. with Richard and Sting

Status
Not open for further replies.

350hunny

Hi, I've been away from here for so long but I'm back with a surprising piece of news.

Richard seems to have played an important part in the production of a Russian twosome singing group called t.A.T.u.

They became famous just like that and disappeared with bad reputation.
Now they invited Sting to play the guitar and Richard to arrange for their new production.

I'm not sure if it's true but some news sources read the same content
and here's the official website and why not check it out for yourself.

http://www.tatugirls.com/

I believe it's one song only that he has done a string arrangement for. I can't understand for the life of me this collaboration...Sting's put down a bass track for one song too. I thought tatu's 15 minutes of fame was over ages ago :?:

Stephen

Only 215 views on this clip with Richard Carpenter,
thus, one or two here might not have seen it--I had not:

I'm not familiar with t.A.T.u. Pretty girls with pretty voices. What's up with the cave? R.C.'s looking good. When was this video made?

Yes, what a strange collaboration. t.A.T.u. were a Russian female duo who scored a big hit in 2002 with 'All the Things She Said', aided by a pretty sleazy campaign of them dressed as schoolgirls and implied lesbianism. Their moment in the spotlight didn't last too long and their second album (on which their collaboration with Richard featured) didn't sell well. It came out in 2005 and apparently the above clip on YouTube is from when they were filming a video for one of the single from it in Hollywood and thus met Richard.

Given how little Richard has involved himself in producing/arranging for other people, it seems very random that he should have involved himself with this act of all those out there, given that they a) weren't great talents and b) were pretty low grade in terms of their image. Presumably there must have been some record label link, given that Sting, who also worked with them, was on A&M too?

That video must be a reload of that particular segment about t.A.T.u. and Richard in the "cave" set, because I know I've seen that before. The YouTube video has only been up there for a month or so at this point.

As for Richard's involvement (and perhaps Sting's as well), I'm sure it was Universal that contacted him to score the strings for "Gomenasai" as they were looking for a hit from the second album and thought he might be able to help. For what it's worth, I really like that track and bought the CD just for that one. It's obvious from the video that the track was completed, yet Richard had never met the two young ladies comprising t.A.T.u. Universal was well aware of Richard's abilities to work with just tracks in a studio and make something of it.

Harry

In the clips of Rich he looks so at ease and confident. The spot where he's asked to pose for photo he was gracious just like my experience. His talent here has clearly evolved and scoring a "movie" would gain great credence to his legendary status. His talent hasn't faded...hopefully he'll spring back into action ala Cher, Olivia, and the rest of the 60 something gang. His music is still intoxicating and ruminates from another time so instilled here in my memory.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom