Superstar/Rainy Days promo music video

Status
Not open for further replies.

RainyDays

Where exactly where these videos shown at that time? TV? I think they were meant as a "music video", like one made today, but made more for a visual promotion maybe(?).

Also, does anyone know where they shot? Any background on them would be great, because I love watching them.

Nope HURTING EACH OTHER and ALL YOU GET FROM LOVE IS A LOVE SONG were filmed at A&M Studios...RAINY DAYS and SUPERSTAR were filmed at a theatre...from what the Newsletters said...

Okay, I just briefly read that both videos were part of an actual concert there, I think....The reason I think otherwise is that it looks too well-done if a concert was there. Or it was filmed at a seperate time to get shoot the video.

Jeff, should I open and play it, after all these years?
I am getting quite a thrill going through all of the memorabilia, just to see what I am missing!
And, of course, sharing with the good folks here is nice,too.
Obviously this is one of the few outlets to express my admiration for all things Carpenters !

Jeff, should I open and play it, after all these years?
I am getting quite a thrill going through all of the memorabilia, just to see what I am missing!
And, of course, sharing with the good folks here is nice,too.
Obviously this is one of the few outlets to express my admiration for all things Carpenters !

I know it would de-value your CD, but there is something about an CD that has never been played that feels a bit sad :sad:

I'd play it at maximum volume :) :)

Tough call Gary. Keeping in mind that the music itself ready to spin in this remix on most compilations from '91 and beyond. Some keepsakes I open where others I bury like a chipmonk. Did I open my copy? Yep u betcha. Never before had a CarpenterS cd single til that point. Since further acquisitions I've unopened simply cuz the remixes are available to me w/o the hassle of unwrap. So taxing ya know? Again, your call dude.

Jeff

I really should open it, after all I'm not getting any younger, and cd's are becoming,
if they aren't already, obsolete.
There is something special about a physical object, like a cd or an LP, which transcends
the mere digital downloads of today.

Another cd I have, that has not been played/opened.
It says Rainy Days And Mondays Radio Remix and it's a UK promo disc.Scan0022.jpgScan0023.jpg

I have this, opened, and played. Firts time, I think, I heard "Let Me Be The One" with the extended opening and ending of Karen saying "Figure out where the melody is, and I'll sing it..." Made it worth the investement!

My general rule is: If the item is sealed and is a rare/valuable collectible and you otherwise own the music, then don't open it. If the item is fairly common and likely only of value to YOU, then by all means open it and enjoy it.

Harry

^ That looks like it was used to promote, 'From The Top' box set??

Chris, it was part of a 2-CD set that was released in the UK to promote From The Top. I've got both - the other featured:

1. Rainy Days And Mondays (Radio Remix)
2. Maybe It's You
3. Ordinary Fool

I treasure them and still remember the excitement at the release - suddenly to have all those previously unheard tracks from their entire career seemed a dream come true! :)

The Rainy Days and Mondays CD single was released to mark the 10th anniversary of Karen's passing in 1993. The back cover mentioned the 'Only Yesterday' and the 'From the Top' compilations as they were the ones available in stores at that time, although both had been available for more than a year by then, so strictly speaking the single wasn't released to promote either specifically. I think there is a US promo CD of Let Me Be the One that was issued to promote 'From the Top' in 1991 though.

Another question for the connoisseur, Isn't the 1972 Grammy performance a lip-sync?
This Rolling Stone blurb seems to suggest otherwise:
2. The Carpenters (1972): Superfast "Superstar"
The Carpenters won Best New Artist in 1970 (over Elton John, Anne Murray, Melba Moore and, hilariously, the Partridge Family), and two years later they were invited back to perform "Superstar." The song — about a groupie desperately in love with a rock star after a one-night stand — was written by Leon Russell and initially recorded by Delaney and Bonnie, but the Carpenters made it a huge hit. Even in 1972, Grammy producers were careful about time and made them perform a condensed version of the song.
Source:
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/p...e-carpenters-1972-superfast-superstar-0910095

There's no question that the 1972 Grammy performance of "Superstar" was lip-synced -- it's the album version of the song, complete with Karen & Richard doing their own backing vocals. It is also a "condensed" version of the song, as it starts in the middle of the song at the beginning of the second verse.

This is an example of where some of my confusion arises:
From Fan Club Newsletter #61,September 1978:
Q- "Did Karen ever sing at a Grammy Award Event?
Answer: Yes, We've Only Just Begun and Superstar.

Well, she sang along to a record, as many did at that time. It was less expensive and the sound was better for TV to just use the record. And Richard and Karen's perfectionism would have steered towards using the record for big moments like that.

I recently purchased the Rainy Days And Mondays UK CD Single, primarily because this "Radio Remix" intrigued me. This CD Single was released in the UK in 2 ways...one like above that Gary posted and one with the photos I have provided below, each containing different tracks but with the same Radio Remix of Rainy Days. I'm pretty impressed with the quality of the digipak version.

I can confirm a few things about this UK CD Single I have posted photos of below which is the digipak version:

1. Rainy Days And Mondays (Radio Remix) - is the 91 remix (the track starts slightly right)
This had me confused at first (before I purchased) because I couldn't figure out if this was the 85 remix (since the back cover says #1 original version appears on Only Yesterday-Richard & Karen Carpenter's Greatest Hits) which I think is the 85 remix but can't confirm since I don't actually own that CD but I do own the red cover version that says Their Greatest Hits and that one contains the 85 remix) I also thought it was really the 85 remix because it would match to the same version on From The Top. Then I thought well maybe it might be the 91 remix or could it be a whole new remix since it's called Radio Remix. So it got the best of me and I purchased it from the UK and finally arrived and can confirm it's the 91 remix which starts slightly to the right.

2. Maybe It's You - is the 90 remix, however it's the exact 90 remix that is found on "From The Top" which has a clean open (it starts with the piano hitting one note for about 5 or 6 seconds then starts into the track. This version is not the same one that appears on The Essential Collection. This 90 remix with the clean open has not appeared on that many other comps.

3. Ordinary Fool - no big surprise here as it's the album version.

Rainy%20Days%20UK%20CD%20Single%20Front.jpg~original

Rainy%20Days%20UK%20CD%20Single%20Inside.jpg~original

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom