Summertime Don't Cry Bar Rhumba

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
Herb Alpert fans will instantly recognize that the 2014 track, "Don't Cry" from the IN THE MOOD album lifted its groove from the old 1971 recording of "Summertime" on the album of the same name.

Back in 1999, a group named Mo' Horizons also lifted that same groove for use on their COME TOUCH THE SUN album, calling it "Bar Rhumba", a six-minute track.

Something I threw together immediately upon hearing "Don't Cry" last year was a combination of the three tracks, but I was working from a copy of "Don't Cry" from the Internet. I'd always meant to re-do it with the real CD, but just never got around to it until today.

So here it is, "Summertime Don't Cry Bar Rhumba". Sit back and enjoy the old groove for a nice, long 11 minutes.

Harry

"Summertime" has one of my all-time favorite Herb Alpert intros. That first couple of bass notes grabs me every time.

When I first heard the song, I was fairly new into my TJB-fan-dom, having heard maybe three or four of the albums beginning with Going Places and What Now My Love, but when Summertime came out I hadn't heard Sounds Like, SRO, Ninth, or the first 3 TJB albums. So when I heard the song, my first reaction was "???? THIS is Herb Alpert?" and I didn't like it. But after about two or three listens I got to where I loved it and now it's one of my favorites. There's probably at least a dozen tunes in his catalog I could say that about.

"Summertime" is one track on that album which is very well recorded. One of those demo tracks I use when setting up a system.

We had the LP in the house, probably since around the time it was released, but when I received a cassette recorder for Xmas a few years later, I had this on cassette along with Wechter's "As Time Goes By," and shortly thereafter received the Brasil 66 tapes Greatest Hits and Crystal Illusions as gifts. Good times!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom