Spotlight: BEYOND (SP-3717)

What Is Your Favorite Song On This Album?

• Kamali

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • The Continental

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Reach For The Stars

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Interlude (For Erica)

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Red Hot

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Beyond

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • That's The Way Of The World

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Keep It Goin'

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Factory

Votes: 3 11.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

Herb Alpert
BEYOND

A&M SP-3717

sp3717.jpg

Released 1980

Format: Vinyl/8-Track/Cassette/CD (Japan)

Produced by Herb Alpert, Randy Badazz & Andy Armer

Album Charts: #28 Pop Album, #6 Jazz Album, #26 Black Album
Singles Chart: "Beyond" - #50 Pop Singles, #44 Black Singles; "Kamali" - #64 Black Singles

Songs & Musicians:
  • 1. Kamali (Dana Barry) - 4:48[list:ee022f8aef]Herb Alpert - Trumpet, Vocal, Arp 2600 & Percussion
    Manolo Badrena - Drums
    Abraham Laboriel - Bass
    Kevin Calhoun - Drums
    Randy Badazz - Drums
    Tim May - Guitar
    Chris Pinnick - Guitar
    Dana Barry - Guitar
    Johnny "Guitar" Watson - Guitar
    Mike Lang - Acoustic Piano
    Andy Armer - Electric Piano, Clavinet & Synthesizer
    Julius Wechter - Marimba
    Ernie Watts - Tenor Sax
    Don Hahn, Don Koldon & Steve Mitchell - Engineers

2. The Continental (Andy Armer/Randy Badazz) - 3:58
  • Herb Alpert - Trumpets
    Randy Badazz - Drums, Bongos, Lamb & Artillery
    Andy Armer - Piano, Electric Piano, Clavinet & Synthesizers
    Steve Gadd - HiHats
    Steve Schaeffer - Drums
    Robert Russell - Bass
    Chris Pinnick - Guitar
    Tim May - Guitar
    Bob Findley - Trumpet on Fanfare
    Bill Reichenbach - Trombone on Fanfare
    Don Hahn, Don Koldon & Steve Katz - Engineers

3. Reach For The Stars (Ruben Rada/Andy Armer) - 5:11
  • Herb Alpert - Flugelhorn and Trumpet
    Steve Schaeffer - Drums
    Abraham Laboriel - Bass
    Tim May - Lead Guitar
    Chris Pinnick - Guitar
    Johnny "Guitar" Watson - Guitar Solo
    Mike Lang - Piano
    Andy Armer - Electric Piano
    Don Hahn & Don Koldon - Engineers

4. Interlude (For Erica) (Andy Armer) - 3:30
  • Herb Alpert - Trumpet
    Abraham Laboriel - Bass
    Andy Armer - Piano
    Tim May - Acoustic Guitar
    Randy Badazz - Bongos
    Don Hahn - Engineer

5. Red Hot (Howard Massey) - 3:37
  • Herb Alpert - Trumpet, Piano, Vocals & Percussion
    Steve Gadd - Drums
    Abraham Laboriel - Bass
    Chris Pinnick - Guitar
    Tommy Tedesco - Guitar
    Randy Badazz - Lead Vocal, Tambourine & Spirit
    Mike Lang - Electric and Tack Piano
    Andy Armer - Prophet 5
    Tom Tom "84" - String Orchestration

6. Beyond (Richard Hewson) - 6:00
  • Herb Alpert - Trumpets
    Steve Gadd - Drums
    Abraham Laboriel - Bass
    Tim May - Guitar
    Chris Pinnick - Guitar
    Andy Armer - Piano & Synthesizers
    Michael Boddicker - Vocoder & Synthesizer Programmer
    Kevin Calhoun - Congas

7. That's The Way Of The World (Maurice White/Verdine White/Charles Stepney) - 4:29
  • Herb Alpert - Trumpet
    Steve Schaeffer - Drums
    Abraham Laboriel - Bass
    Tim May - Guitar
    Chris Pinnick - Guitar
    Mike Lang - Acoustic Piano
    Andy Armer - Electric Piano, Clavinet & Synthesizers
    Johnny "Guitar" Watson - Lead Guitar
    Michael Boddicker - Vocoder
    Don Hahn - Engineer

8. Keep It Goin' (Les McCann/Andy Armer/Randy Badazz) - 4:00
  • Herb Alpert - Trumpet & Percussion
    Abraham Laboriel - Bass
    Chris Pinnick - Guitar
    Andy Armer - Electric Piano, Acoustic Piano & Percussion
    Randy Badazz - Percussion
    Don Hahn - Engineer

9. The Factory (Andy Armer/Randy Badazz) - 5:25
  • Herb Alpert - Trumpet & Mouthpiece
    Randy Badazz - Bongos, Drums, Chains, Pipes, Voices, Harmonized Artillery & African Talking Drum
    Andy Armer - Piano & Moog Bass
    Peter Frampton - Guitar Solo
    Don Hahn - Steel Girders
[/list:u:ee022f8aef]

The Clap Section: Herb Alpert, Randy Badazz, Andy Armer, Bill Morgan, Ken Dean, Steve Katz, Dore Alpert, Mike Glick, Wendy Barry, Risé Snyder, Tyrone Griffin, Effie Griffin, Paul "Hands" McKenna, Dayle Gloria, Bill Earl, Ron Ensminger, Don Koldon, Don Hahn, Ellis Sorkin and Michael Medina

Recorded at A&M Recording Studios
Additional Assistant Engineers: Dan Haverty, Paul McKenna & Jim Cassell
Remix Engineer: Don Hahn
Mastered at A&M Recording Studios by Bernie Grundman

Art Direction & Design: Chuck Beeson
Photography: Norman Seeff

Thanks to all of you who helped to open the door for me - one more time. Herb Alpert

Capt. Bacardi

This is a new feature that we're doing on Herb's solo albums. Since it would take years to get there via the AOTW we thought we would do a Spotlight feature of his albums chronologically. This won't necessarily be an Album of the Week but more of an Album of the Moment. Some albums may get discussed more than others. Once the discussion has died out on one album we'll move on to the next all the way through the Almo Sounds releases. So listen to these albums again and post your thoughts!

Since we've already discussed the first four solo albums we are starting here with Beyond. If you've missed out on the earlier discussions of his first four solo albums, you can find them below:

Just You And Me - http://www.amcorner.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9279

Herb Alpert/Hugh Masekela - http://www.amcorner.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8983

Main Event - Live! - http://www.amcorner.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9152

Rise - http://www.amcorner.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9385

The Reissue of Rise from Shout! Factory - http://www.amcorner.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8241

Capt. Bacardi

That was a tough choice. I went with Interlude (for Erica) because I think it's one of the prettiest songs Herb's ever recorded. My runner up is The Factory, because I love the sound and power of it. The percussion is really cool, and it has an amazing ambience (especially over headphones). Beyond is also an excellent track, and Red Hot is one of my all-time-favorite "guilty pleasures".

I keep hoping for this to come out on CD, but for now, at least I have my LP.

Lots of good musicians and lot'sa good times...! Nice to see an effort like Beyond trailing Rise but showcasing how Herb could close one decade and open another...

The Peter Frampton appearance in "The Factory" is stunning and the cover of Earth, Wind & Fire's "That's The Way Of The World" allows some spacious and spacey stretching out... Although "The Continental" was a title used earlier, this new version also sounds fresh and exciting as well as the celestial and galactic "Reach For The Stars" which lends itself to more out-of-this-world creativity with the appearance by Johnny "Guitar" Watson... "Kamali" sets this album to a good start along with yet another Herb Alpert lead vocal, that is just as outreaching on his good singing numbers and not as fey as the not-so-good ones... And "Beyond" does exactly what its title suggests in reaching places in song, which Herb has never gone to before... "Red Hot" is also a fun dance floor-worthy hit, with such an uplifting spirit also heard in "Keep It Goin'" and "Interlude (For Erica)" is a good portrait of the "minimalist" romantic landscape Herb conveys effectively...

Another good effort and promising yet another decade for Herb that will continue looking up...

Dave

An odd album for me, BEYOND is one I enjoy, but there's no "huge" song on that draws me to it, so I don't know what my favorite would be - probably the title track.

I didn't grab this album until after FANDANGO, as it was that album that got me re-hooked on Herb's sound. I missed the fact that a CD of the album was released in Japan.

Once I started listening to the album, it hit me that the opening strains of "The Continental" had been selected by the PD of our station to play every hour as the music bed for our "Million Dollar Weekend".

I like the 12" mix of "Beyond".

Harry

I haven't heard the album straight through for a while, but the title track is one of my favorite Alpert songs, with or without the TJB. His playing on it is particularly powerful, and the arrangement is really inventive - it keeps the dance beat but without the "standard" dance record sounds of the day. A great production and a nice followup to "Rise."

As I remember, the album as a whole didn't meet the heights that RISE did, but there are a lot of other good tracks. I like "The Factory" as well.

Harry said:

Harry

I've seen various listings of the 12" single online, but they all carry the 6:00 length. What exactly is different about it? Did he just add more reverb, or are there any additional solos? Should I buy a a copy? I don't really want to spend top dollar this late in the game if it's the same as the album version, as the 12" of "Rise" was.

This is a great LP and should be released on CD in the U.S. Let's petition it!

There's only one dud on the album, IMHO. I never saw the appeal of "The Factory". It's arranged in an interesting manner, but the 'melody' [or the lack thereof] is absolutely monotonous. Five and a half minutes of the same motif over and over again with some sound effects, and finally, an explosion, just to return to the grind, fading out. I hate to say it, but Peter Frampton's guitar solo was about the only real departure we had on this thing. I'll say one thing for it: It reminds you of a factory... But I usually clock out early on this shift. Am I missing something??? :confused:

Tony

toeknee4bz said:
Harry said:

Harry

I've seen various listings of the 12" single online, but they all carry the 6:00 length. What exactly is different about it? Did he just add more reverb, or are there any additional solos? Should I buy a a copy? I don't really want to spend top dollar this late in the game if it's the same as the album version, as the 12" of "Rise" was.

Sorry about that - I can see that I wasn't clear in that statement. I made that post near the conclusion of a playoff baseball game when my attention wasn't fully focused on the job at hand! I don't know why I used the word "mix", but there it is!

The "Beyond" 12" is a neat, clear vinyl record that I enjoy for LOOKING AT. Sonically, it's the same as the album version, though there is an edited version on the flip side.

This clear disc is housed in a clear plastic jacket with the script of "Beyond" across the jacket. When you pull the record out of the jacket, there's nothing on the "B" side silver label. The "A" side label has purple printing on it tell you what's on "This Side" and the "Other Side".

There's also a little card in the corner with a little "Thank You" note from Herb.

Harry
...paying more attention today, online...

I always thought Badazz's instrumental credit on "The Factory":

Bongos, Drums, Chains, Pipes, Voices, Harmonized Artillery & African Talking Drum

...was one of the coolest in music history. I'll bet he had a ball making that track.

I voted for "That's the Way of the World" because of Herb's knack for finding instrumental gems in tunes mostly known for lyrics and vocals.

He does a great take on Sting's "Fragile," but that's for discussion in another thread for another day,

JB

Harry said:
The "Beyond" 12" is a neat, clear vinyl record that I enjoy for LOOKING AT. Sonically, it's the same as the album version, though there is an edited version on the flip side.

There's also a little card in the corner with a little "Thank You" note from Herb.

Harry

Thanks for the info. I've seen this one online for some time now. As expected, it's quite pricey. If I find a deal on it I'll probably give in, just to have it, but I'm setting my limit at $15. And knowing my luck, I most likely won't get the "Thank You" note! :sad:

Tony

Mike Blakesley said:
I always thought Badazz's instrumental credit on "The Factory":

Bongos, Drums, Chains, Pipes, Voices, Harmonized Artillery & African Talking Drum

...was one of the coolest in music history. I'll bet he had a ball making that track.

You're not alone! :) The "Harmonized Artillery & African Talking Drum" has quite a ring to it. However, if you're talking cool credits on "The Factory" [I'm beginning to see the charm in this track], try

Don Hahn: Steel Girders

Steel Girders?

If you check out the RISE credits you'll find Badazz credited this way:

Percussion, Tavia, Moog Drums, Drums & Insanities

Insanities? :D Never saw that one before 1979! How 'bout the "Red Hot" credits from BEYOND? :

Lead Vocal, Tamborine & Spirit

Gotta hand it to 'em. It's creative.

Tony

When seeing the Beyond LP in the summer of 1980, I was really excited to get to hear the follow-up to Rise. I enjoyed the cover a lot, and I felt that Herb really was "back". When coming to London in August of 1980, I remember seeing huge posters on the red double-decker buses advertising the album. I always liked the record, I found it very inspired and fun. Favorites were "Kamali", "The Continental" and "For Erica". It was not until having picked up the CD in the late eighties that I got on to the title track and "The Factory".

- greetings from the north -
Martin

That "steel girders" credit is sort of reminiscent of Herb playing anvil on "Jerusalem" and also on Lani's "Banquet." I guess if you hammer on it, it's a percussion instrument, no?

NOW DAT'S WHUT I'M TALKIN' "BOUT!! Man, I love that we are discussing BEYOND, which in my humble opinion, is one of Herb's best solo albums ever! KAMALI opens in a sexy, jazzy way, kind of reminds me of a sunny day at the beach, or at a beachside bar.Ernie Watts' sax solo compliments Herb's trumpet very well.

THE CONTINENTAL was dated even back then(disco was on its way out in 1980), but it has a cute, 'up with people' charm that is undeniably irresistible.REACH FOR THE STARS is probably Herb at his most lowdown, bluesiest funk that I've ever heard him play.He really must have been spurred on by Johnny 'Guitar' Watson's playing here! INTERLUDE(FOR ERICA) is Herb's return to his Latin roots(I don't think that he ever left them), and probably his most jazziest tune at the time.(also probably the first time he played in a small jazz combo setting)

RED HOT goes back to what I said about THE CONTINENTAL: dated schmaltzy disco that would have worked three years earlier to when it was made, and is perhaps the weakest cut on the album. It doesn't even have the charm that CONTINENTAL does.
BEYOND, now welll, THAT'S when things get cookin'!! Next to ROTATION, this is one of Alpert's better, and most experimental jams that he did. Everything works on this cut-from the double trumpet echo to Michael Boddicker's amazing synth programming, and Andy Armer's synth playing-it all comes together on this cut! This also predates the so called 'electronica' chill/acid jazz music that was the rage in the 90s, and early 2000s.

Things slow down a bit with Herb's version of THAT'S THE WAY OF THE WORLD by Earth,Wind, and Fire, which showcases Herb's ability to take a well known tune and rearrange it in his own creative way.Things really slow down with Herb actually doing reggae on KEEP IT GOIN'! I really think that this is most fitting since it was A&M that was one the first American record labels to distribute reggae, what with Peter Tosh's first American album coming out stateside via A&M.Tune ain't so bad,either!

The last cut, THE FACTORY is well, it's just INCREDIBLE is just what it is!! Earlier posters were right: Randy's credits are just pretty much phenomenal:" bongos,drums,chains(chains?!!)pipes(pipes?!!),voices,harmonized artillery(was this a recording session or an exercise in military hardware?-smile-) and African talikng drum." This cut does sound like something straight out of Motherland, and Peter Frampton's solo is really kickin'!(I was just watching the DVD of the movie ALMOST FAMOUS, and I'd forgotten how huge Frampton was in the 70s!)

All in all, a great and criminally underrated album by an artist who is STILL highly unappreciated and misunderstood by the music buying public as well(especially) by music critics everywhere. Maybe they'll listen to this album and change thier minds...

This album always struck me as being one of Herb's wilder offerings, for lack of a better adjective. I enjoy listening to it, but I never really got just what Herb was trying to say with BEYOND...the title track strikes me as probably his strangest single offering ever. Don't get me wrong, it's good listening, but I really don't get it. It's a Techno tour-de-force, but I always thought his take on BESAME MUCHO from MAGIC MAN came off a lot better. BEYOND was kinda like the TJB meets Star Trek, or maybe BATTLESTAR GALACTICA or GALACTICA 1980.

I always dug THE FACTORY...I've worked in a few places that made me feel like that. The assembly line at the Chrysler transmission plant in Kokomo, Indiana is a prime example, especially the night I put the pump shafts in the facer backwards after supper and it sheared off the cutter heads...shut down the line for half the shift, and I got moved to another department...

KEEP IT GOIN' is nice, as is THAT'S THE WAY OF THE WORLD, but the rest of the album is kind of a blur. It was somewhat of a letdown for me after RISE...not nearly as much spark. I thought Herb was trying to embrace several styles, maybe because the music scene wasn't as focused as it was a year or so earlier with RISE. And RISE would be almost impossible to top, anyway...although FANDANGO gives it a run for its' money.

And the cover shot...Herb must've seen the proofs and got a facelift...or maybe he just had his photos retouched on later albums around those laughlines...

Dan

After the success of Rise I had wondered what Herb would do next. A lot of artists probably would've repeated and tried to duplicate another Rise, but Herb didn't go that direction, thankfully. Beyond seems to be a more pop-jazz effort. There's a lot to enjoy on this album, and it flows pretty good throughout. I really loved the funky blues of "Reach For The Stars" with Johnny "Guitar" Watson's playing. "Kamali" is another fave, although I didn't think it was a strong single release. I always thought "That's The Way Of The World" - my favorite song - was much more radio-friendly and would've been a bigger hit. I obviously love the thunderous synths in the opening of "Beyond". This used to get a lot of play on sports broadcasts at the time. "Interlude" is a tasty little treat where Herb is out there kind of naked, trumpet-wise, and is a neat little acoustic feature. I love the haunting chant of "The Factory", which is highlighted with Peter Frampton's guitar. I remember Randy "Badazz" Alpert mentioning some time back that Frampton just happened to be in another studio at A&M and they thought he would be a great fit for the song, so he went and asked Frampton if he would do some playing on the track. When you're on a roll - as Herb was at the time - these magical things happen. This is a solid album.

Capt. Bacardi

"Beyond" is my favorite track on this album, although "Kamali" is a close second, as it was a great mood setter for the entire album. I like the song "Red Hot", although I prefer the remix he had on a later album. Not really a stinker in the bunch here!

:shock: I can't believe that this thread has gone on for this long, and yet nobody has mentioned the lamb-calls on "The Continental". :cool:
That was one of the coolest (and craziest) stunts I've ever heard on anybody's record!

Though my TJB mom has maintained "That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard", I must disagree. Herb's philosophy is to 'have fun' with music. And "The Continental" from BEYOND is one of the most fun tracks of the era, by any artist! :)

"Kamali", "Reach For The Stars", "Interlude (For Erica)", "Beyond", "That's The Way..." - All great cuts which I'm certain everybody here is just BEGGING Herb to add to the Signature Series. But "The Continental", embellished with that unmistakable Moog-handclap-funky rhythm, synth harmony on the final chorus, and of course, the lamb, is simply unforgettable.

How 'bout that neckerchief(?) on the back cover photo? I still want one of those! :cool: And I'm sure that somebody out there agrees that the BEYOND logo is pretty cool for it's time!

Tony

I finally got tired of hearing all of the white noise/ticks/pops, etc. on my iPod every time I played this album. And considering the fact that I couldn't get my hands on a CD copy, I figured I'd look for a cassette tape copy online. Sure enough, found it cheap @ Amazon.com. Eleven bucks total was a bargain on this!!! :D Transferred it to CDR, then to my iPod.

If I found one in decent shape, chances are that there are other copies worth a try. There's bound to be people out there who want a better sounding copy than what they have already. Never thought I'd ever buy another cassette again!

Tony

Miracles do happen! I have just managed to win a copy of the Japanese CD version of this BEYOND on Ebay, after years of trying to find one! Mind you, given its rarity, I had pay silly money for it ....... but not nearly as much as I have heard some go for. Finally, I can have a 'clean' version on my MP3 player and avoid my old vinyl album's 'noises'.

You dog! I am so envious!!! It figures that I would not be the one to enjoy rubbing salt into the wound... :o :sad: Seriously, though - enjoy. :)

Tony

Though I had someone kindly make me a digital dub of the Japanese CD of BEYOND, I actually still prefer the "needledrop" I did for myself from the LP. It sounds warmer and somehow better than the CD did.

But congrats on that eBay find. From what I can tell, you actually paid a not too unreasonable amount for this rare CD.

Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom