SONG BY SONG: "KAREN CARPENTER" (SP-4804/CD-0588)

WHICH SONG FROM THIS ALBUM IS YOUR FAVORITE?

• 1.) Lovelines 5:06 (Temperton)

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • 2.) All Because Of You 3:31 (Javors)

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • 3.) If I Had You 3:31 (Dorff/Harju/Herbstritt)

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • 4.) Making Love In The Afternoon 3:54 (Cetera)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5.) If We Try 3:47 (Temperton)

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • 6.) Remember When Lovin' Took All Night 3:50 (Farrar/Leikin)

• 7.) Still In Love With You 3:15 (James)

• 8.) My Body Keeps Changing My Mind 3:46 (Pearl)

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • 9.) Make Believe It's Your First Time 3:12 (Morrison/Wilson)

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • 10.) Guess I Just Lost My Head 3:36 (Mounsey)

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • 11.) Still Crazy After All These Years 4:17 (Simon)

• 12.) Last One Singin' The Blues 3:24 (McCann)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris May

Resident ‘Carpenterologist’
Staff member
“KAREN CARPENTER”

karencarpenter.jpg

Catalogue Number: A&M SP-4804 (Unreleased)/CD-0588 (1996)
Date of Release: 10/8/96
Medium: CD

Easy choice to make - 'If I Had You'. The classiest track on the album and the most adventurous vocally. I'd love to see how it would have performed on the charts. Much prefer Richard's remix though, with the more dramatic vocal ending. The original fade out doesn't do it justice.

I get such a charge out of "My Body Keeps Changing My Mind", I rather suppose it falls into the (dreaded?) disco category,
even so, it has remained a favorite of mine.
Great vehicle for Karen's soaring vocals ("...we fly together across the floor..") and a catchy, upbeat production.

Chose "Make Believe" but it's really a toss-up between that and "If I Had You". "Make Believe" seems strong throughout..."If I Had You" is strongest in the chorus...but a coin toss, really.
Like "Still Crazy" a lot but I agree with Harry that it's hard to shake that song's close identification with its writer, despite Karen performing it at least as well if not better.

"If I Had You" got my vote.

I believe this would have been the first single had "Karen Carpenter" been released in 1980. I am a fan of all things Rod Temperton, so it was hard not to go with "Lovelines" or "If We Try". But didn't he help with the other songs too? The vocal acrobatics throughout are innovative, fresh, awesome, and just downright lovely and fun to listen to (especially with my Shure headphones).

The first time I listened to this song with my headphones on, those acrobatics pinging from one ear to the next actually caused a slight moment of vertigo. Wasn't actually a bad kind of vertigo though.

More of a Karen Carpenter vocally-induced moment of sheer WHOA!

:yikes::love:

'If I Had You' would normally have been the obvious choice for me and definitely would have been my choice for the lead single, but recently I've become increasingly drawn to 'If We Try'. It's got such a warm tone to it. Karen sounds so at home with this style and the sax break is excellent.

"Make Believe" for me. A tentative reading from Karen, that delicate piano figure. Simple, understated. It was new, but had that familiar air due to the VOH version. Pre-'96 I was rather fond of the Carpenters treatment. . . never a favourite, but I enjoyed it. But since hearing the solo version I think I've listened to Richard's treatment maybe a dozen times over the last 18 years (and for me that's hardly ever).

Beautiful song.

Neil

This was such a toughie for me because it's such a mixed bag on so many levels. I picked My Body Keeps Changing My Mind. To me there's something about the way it moves rhythmically, the vocal arrangement etc. I like the original mix because the BGVs are more audible, but Richard's remix is a better treatment of it. A lot like Lovelines & Still Crazy, which I enjoy for all of the vocal overdubbing as well, I think what it comes down to is I appreciate the Carpenters' sound period. I hate to be the unpopular one here, but it's still all of that 4 part overdubbing, driven close harmony sound that makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Not really the other stuff related to the "solo differences" with Karen vs. w/Richard & Carpenters.

I have the Ali Thomson album. He sounds amazingly like Paul McCartney on the title track.

Harry

When I heard the chorus of this song, I said, man this sounds so familiar so either I heard this on the radio way back then or some other artist recorded this because the chorus sounds really familiar to me. He does have some resemblance to Paul in spots.

In reference to the catalog # SP-4804/CD-0588
My CD has the 0588 on the spine, so the 4804 was the original catalog # for the LP version if it had been released? What does SP stand for?

This is way too hard for me to choose my favorite. I'm sitting here looking at the track listing and I clicked the radio button then I said, Oh but I really play this one more so I clicked that radio button, then I look down and say, Oh but I really like that one with the dubbing of her vocals, no that one because it gets me toe tapping, no that one for the intimacy....Oh Karen what your voice does to me.

The tracks I can't make up my mind are:
My Body Keeps Changing My Mind (can I get this one in 5.1 :agree:, it's like multiple Karen's all over, the more the better :love:)
All Because Of You (I really play this one a lot and spots I hear her vocal cry that sets me over the edge)
If I Had You (I really love this one)
Still In Love With You (I'm in the minority on this one but Oh I love her phrasing and sexy vocals, when she doubles "I'm Still In Love":love:)
Make Believe It's Your First Time (so intimate a reading that it's a top contender)
Making Love In The Afternoon (I really really really like this one so much!!!)

Ok, I made my choice....My Body Keeps Changing My Mind....the backing vocals and the many Karen's I hear just sets me in motion, makes me want to dance...doesn't have to be a disco dance, just get that body moving....the oohh and ahhh, man I can hear this in 5.1 already in my head. Well that's my choice this week. :wink:

In reference to the catalog # SP-4804/CD-0588
My CD has the 0588 on the spine, so the 4804 was the original catalog # for the LP version if it had been released? What does SP stand for?

SP stands for Stereo Play. Early A&M albums had LP designations, which stood simply for Long Play as in Long Playing Record, or... LP!

Harry

SP stands for Stereo Play. Early A&M albums had LP designations, which stood simply for Long Play as in Long Playing Record, or... LP!

Harry

So then it's safe to say that an LP would have been pressed....oh man...that is bittersweet...I've always longed for an LP of this album.

Not necessarily pressed, no. Just given a catalog number.

Harry

I succumbed to the poll after agonizing from its inception. Looooove the 'dancin' and we fly' thing in MY BODY KEEPS CHANGING. My heart soars across the floor and I don't even dance...well. I do a mean Karen holding the mic thing but aside from that and a shuffle to the left wiggle to the right it's prob'ly best to focus on the listening. STILL CRAZY is a stunning interpretation. Thru-out the multitude of dna card carryin' CarpetteS on backup suggest other numbers as a favorite. BUT the singular stand-out performance is the thoughtful, intimate reading that communicates MAKE BELIEVE IT'S YOUR FIRST TIME. A simple piano as a canvas for Karen to lay a tender vocal. Karen's expression here is under-produced and significantly demonstrates her gift at lyrical storytelling. Don't get me wrong...I gotta have my harmonies but Karen presented raw, stark, vulnerable is a showcase. The vocal is replete with the subtle delicacies that enamored me from Close To You. Karen projects emotion at every breath and conveys perfection in a technique seldom if ever noted. The song flows effortlessly making this unique performance seem easy...that is easy for the gifted.

O' course tomorrow might bring another fave as in SOMETHING'S MISSING but that would be another ideal chat about. The unreleased reviews....

Jeff still reeling from The Japanese import KAREN CARPENTER shm cd. Holy god the agony the ecstasy that lies therein.

This is like Sophie's Choice. If I had to choose only one, it would be Make Believe. Nothing better during those quiet times, and I think one of Karen's all-time best. How I wish we had a full album of songs like this with just Karen and minimal piano, guitar and drums. But I must also admit, My Body Keeps Changing My Mind gets equal playing time in my home, office, car and iPod. Especially now in the windows down-crank it up-blast some Carpenters tunes weather....this song just makes you feel good. I was actually playing it in the car on the way home tonight.

'If I Had You' is probably my favorite, with 'If We Try' and 'Last One Singin the Blues' tied for 2nd.

The wonderful back up work at the end on 'If I Had You' does it for me.

I think Karen could easily have sung more songs like 'Last One . . .' and I really wish she would have gone more to the jazz genre.

After a lot of thought, I voted for "Last One Singing The Blues". On first listen of the solo album back in '96 , I thought what a cool song to finish the album, and loved the fact you could hear Karen talking. It's only recently after following A&M Corner, that it suddenly dawned on me that this song is one of the demo tracks. Even after reading the linear notes where it states that there is a bonus track, it never occurred to me that "Last One Singing The Blues" was actually the bonus track! Call me stupid, but I have always asked myself which song is the bonus track! Anyhow, once I got my head around this fact, this song just soared in my estimation.:tumbleweed:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom