Slow Dance - Kristy McNichol

Status
Not open for further replies.

newvillefan

I Know My First Name Is Stephen
I found this listed while watching an old TV appearance of Kristy McNichol and just had to share it!

The comments are great to read, so many people saying they remember the tune. I think had Karen and Richard released it back then, it had the potential to be a big hit with teenagers, it's got that innocent 'summer of love' feel to it, which is reflected in many of the comments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N2wPa1GDHQ&feature=related

Hey Stephen!
Thanks for sharing that. I had never heard Kristy's version and had always wanted to. Of course I like Karen's vocal better, but you know.. there's something about that backing track that I like better than the Carpenters'. The Kristy version is a bit more jazzy or something. I like the keyboards in it.

Kristy was a huge star back then. I still think she had a decent recording voice. There was a movie she did called, The Pirate Movie, you probably never heard it. Ha, but she recorded a couple songs on the soundtrack to the movie and I've always enjoyed them. I think the movie was a flop but the songs she did and dueted with Christopher were pretty cool. I guess she retired from the movie business and is a teacher now. I wonder what her brother is doing now?

In addition to her role in the TV series, FAMILY, I recall her from a different mid-80s movie called JUST THE WAY YOU ARE. She played a young flute player with a bum leg who concocts a scheme to visit a ski resort with a cast on her leg so she won't stand out so much. Of course romance ensues, truths revealed, etc., and all turns out well in the end. It was one of those movies that played endlessly on cable TV at the time.

Harry

I remember reading some where that when considering whether to record Slow Dance, Richard was concerned that it might be "too young" for them (K&R).

Harry, I have the movie on VHS tape, the container is unlike most VHS tapes of the time, the lid opens like a cover and inside is the VHS tape, unlike most that slide from the side or bottom. The cover of the VHS tape has a pic of Kristy with her finger to her lips as if to say, shhh, she is showing off her cast. The other cool thing to note is that during the movie there is a disco dance scene in which ABBA is played, it's been awhile since I played it but I want to say it was Voulez-Vous but it could be Dancing Queen not 100% but it was actually ABBA singing.

I think Slow Dance was sung by both of them as you can hear two voices singing in unison. I remember Kristy best from her guest starring stint in the first season of Bionic Woman, in a somewhat scary episode!

Wiki says: 'McNichol retired from acting when she was diagnosed with bipolar disorder in 1992' and that 'McNichol's last public statement was in June 2001, when she said:

"A lot of people have wondered what I've been up to. I retired from my career after 24 years. My feeling was that it was time to play my biggest part – MYSELF! I must say that it has been the best thing that ever happened to me. So many fans are disappointed that I'm not currently acting, however some may not realize that the process I'm in at this time is necessary and vital for my personal happiness and well-being." '​

I agree with Richard C on this. I like the song a lot- but it does play "young" to me.

Harry, I have the movie on VHS tape, the container is unlike most VHS tapes of the time, the lid opens like a cover and inside is the VHS tape, unlike most that slide from the side or bottom. The cover of the VHS tape has a pic of Kristy with her finger to her lips as if to say, shhh, she is showing off her cast. The other cool thing to note is that during the movie there is a disco dance scene in which ABBA is played, it's been awhile since I played it but I want to say it was Voulez-Vous but it could be Dancing Queen not 100% but it was actually ABBA singing.

After I posted about that movie I went exploring the Internet about it. It seems it's one of those Warner Brothers Archive Collection DVD's that they manufacture on demand. According to IMDb, the ABBA song "Voulez-Vous" is used in the movie, so you were right about that Chris.

Harry

Slightly off-topic, but providing partial answer to "Why?"
they (The McNichols--Kristy and Jimmy) appeared on the Christmas Special
and "How" it is that Richard and Karen cameto know these siblings
at that point in time,
and the song Slow Dance.
An an interesting bit from Jimmy McNichol's Biography/MediaKit:
"...co-produced his own TV Special, with his then-manager Jerry Weintraub.
" In addition to his recording deals, he also appeared on the Weintraub produced
The Carpenters Christmas Special, he was also enlisted to appear on the Weintraub
produced John Denver Celebrity Pro-Am..."

Source:
http://playgroundtelevision.com/docs/

I never saw anything with Kristy until the TV show Empty Nest which I loved. I came late to the Golden Girls era which was another show that hasn't aged badly in reruns.

An an interesting bit from Jimmy McNichol's Biography/MediaKit:
"...co-produced his own TV Special, with his then-manager Jerry Weintraub.
" In addition to his recording deals, he also appeared on the Weintraub produced
The Carpenters Christmas Special, he was also enlisted to appear on the Weintraub
produced John Denver Celebrity Pro-Am..."

Not surprising. So much of show business is about connections. Managers often find creative ways to leverage their different acts. I think that is how half of the guest stars for most of the variety shows and specials of that era were cast.

Kristy actress really talented. Singer? Ooo icky! Miss Carpenter now a whole different league.

Spot-On, Jeff!
There is no artistic reason to use as justification for pairing Carpenters with
so many 'B-C-D-Listers' .
Of course, as I have documented time and again,
anyone (at least, in concert) who elicited too much excitement, or exercised independence,
would be summarily dismissed from employ.
I believe it was Paul Grein who wrote that given Weintraub's status in the business,
as Carpenters' manager, being executive producer for those television specials,
and ---I believe with an underlying financial stake in them, also---
Karen and Richard should have secured, demanded, top-notch talent as guest stars.
In the end, The McNichols and John Davidson, and skater Dorothy Hamill,
were under Weintraub's Management Umbrella. (John Denver, also,with Weintraub, is an exception.)
It revolved around the money,and, as with the TV Movie--quality takes a backseat to budgetary constraints.
I look forward to anyone who can provide documentation to suggest otherwise.
I would love to believe that I am wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom