Sealed copy of The Singles 1969 - 1973

Status
Not open for further replies.

brycem

Hi everyone

I just had delivered a sealed original (1973) copy of the above record that's from the Capitol Record Club. Initially I bought it because I want to hear the original mixes which I doubt I would of heard before but it got me thinking that it might have a much higher value still sealed? Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks
Bryce

Two schools of thought.

(1). You can open the record and play it. Records were meant to be played.

(2). Keep it sealed for whatever value it might have, and seek out a CD copy of the album to listen to.

Harry

I'd say keep it sealed if you want to preserve the best possible value, although there is something a bit sad about a record that's never been played.

Record club version? They usually sound nasty in my experience. Made from source tapes of questionable origin, since the record company did not exactly want a high quality version of their own product out in the marketplace. I refuse to buy them personally. I don't know if that affects collectability, as they were not big sellers. Capitol usually created their own catalog numbers for these. In other words it might be a good collector piece, but it will sound poor in comparison to an A&M original.

That's kind'a how I'd found my one-and-only Still-Sealed Carps LP to date, and that was my Tan LP; it was a Record Club copy (and I don't remember which one), which got out-played by a used, but Mint original...

(Then again, I wonder what was wrong w/ the "new" one? :hmmm: It did play, clean, although "Compressed", which would probably be the case if it'd been A Song For You...) :laugh:

-- Dave

I agree with Harry!! open it and play it,unless you want to sell it in the future,in that case don't open it!

It's only worth would be to crazies like us. Even then, not much. Enjoy the record. The collector value on a Carpenters record is very low.

Ed

The resale value of some CarpenterS records may be low but the collector value to me is quite high. Here I am decades after the fact and I still experience that novelty of a "NEW" CarpenterS album. Tightly sealed, shiny cherry condition. My sealed and/or mint cond stuff manages to stay just that way. As suggested the SACD reissue of SINGLES 69-73 is a fantastic spin and well worth the effort. In the vinyl portion of my collection these untouched gems are the cornerstone of my gluttony. It used to be all of the new records were in the store and the used on my shelf. Now I find the new records on my shelf and the used at the store. These also give me the chance at memory lane. I revel in the sheer indulgence.

Jeff

I remember my parents reached a certain age when they started getting out the china and crystal for family dinners instead of just the big holiday events....and treasured pocket knives and watches that had been in cases started being used/worn as well. I'm hitting that age now, and find myself developing the same philosophy. Things meaningful to you should be enjoyed, particularly if they might not matter to someone else years down the road. I'd pour myself a glass of something enjoyable, open that album, put on some headphones, and savor every minute of it. This, too, just another .02 worth.

There's nothing like going to an estate sale to convince you to take this attitude.

The last one I saw had collections of china and silver, and a lifetime's collection of treasured heirlooms and knick-knacks, all of which were once truly treasured by their owner… on sale for less than $1 each.

When we go, our treasured albums, artwork and souvenirs will likely also be thrown into a rummage sale 50 cent bin - "Ugh, just all these recordings of some 70's artist and it's not even retro-cool like Saturday Night Fever." The "good china" will go for sale piecemeal for $1 each, 6/$5. All of our books will end up at Goodwill or ARC.

Not to be depressing, but it only takes visiting a few of those to have it hammered into your head that all our most treasured possessions are just junk after we're gone.

Not to be depressing, but it only takes visiting a few of those to have it hammered into your head that all our most treasured possessions are just junk after we're gone.

Not if you leave them or pass them on to someone who you know will really treasure them as well. That's why I'm so glad Jeff is doing what he is with his goldmine on the other thread :wink:

Here is a (very) nice japanese vinyl pressing to have:
CARPENTERS Superdisc- GXF9001/2
"Japanese-only double vinyl LP, superb heavy wraparound picture sleeve with Japanese/English insert,
plus lyric insert and sought after shaped A&M green 'top obi-strip' ." (Vendor description)

The double set replicates The Single 1969-1973 LP, then includes later hits on separate vinyl.
The outer photo (Kind of Hush sessions) is, in reality, removable, and then you uncover an entire
replicated Singles (Brown) Cover Art Work and the inner 1973 photo. (Personal description)
I played vinyl this as recently as today!

Mstaft, here are more photos from the above-mentioned japanese pressing (although this seller
still omits the outer-artwork of the Singles LP (you have to 'unwrap' the outer Hush photos to see it!):

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom