Scott Grimes

Status
Not open for further replies.

AM Matt

Forum Undertaker
I heard someone mentioning singer turned actor Scott Grimes. Might want to check out "Party Of Five: The Complete First Season" (1994-95) on DVD. I'm not sure if Scott is either on the first or second season but not sure. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Scott has also been doing semi-regular work on E.R. as one of the interns in the past season or so. His character has been one of occasionally screwing things up.

Harry
...noting that Scott Grimes also appeared in a Star Trek: Next Generation episode and had his part cut, online...

In the liner notes from TIME
Richard mentiones his musical
talents and possible future in
recording.
Was there a complete Scott Grimes
album produced by Richard?

coolvox said:
In the liner notes from TIME
Richard mentiones his musical talents and possible future in
recording. Was there a complete Scott Grimes album produced by Richard?

Yes, there was a Scott Grimes album. It's called "Scott Grimes" and the whole thing was produced by Richard. When Napster was around, he and I actually chatted on their IM system. He was signed in as, what else?, "Scottgrimes". While we were chatting, he was downloading "That's What I Believe" from me - the song he sang on from Richard Carpenter's "Time". LOL! He didn't have the album and just decided that he wanted to hear it. It's been a while so I don't really remember much about what we talked about but he did tell me that he recorded an album with Richard and it "went cardboard" as he put it. At least he had a sense of humor about it...:)

Small world...

Ed

mstaft said:
I thought Scott's album was great- the best of Richard producing other people.

Personally I found it to be the least of the three that Richard produced. My order would be:

Veronique
Akiko
Scott Grimes

A while ago the topic of Richard's produced albums came up and I was urged to give Scott's album another listen. I did, and though it didn't change my preference order at all, I did come away with a more favorable impression of the Scott Grimes album overall.

Harry
NP: VERONIQUE

Grimes was actually the kid star of Critters and Critters 2, both good B-Movies and worth a rent if you've got a free night.

Sorry, nothing to do with Carpenters, but trivia, non-the-less.

Neil

I have not had the opportunity
of hearing Scotts album or Veronique. In my opinion Akiko's
Only The Angels Know, is the best
of Richards efforts in production
without Karen.
JIM

coolvox said:
I have not had the opportunity
of hearing Scotts album or Veronique. In my opinion Akiko's
Only The Angels Know, is the best
of Richards efforts in production
without Karen.
JIM

There are some RealMedia sound samples from the VÉRONIQUE album on this page:

http://stef007.tripod.com/Veronique/index.html

Scroll down to 1989 to find them.

Harry
NP: VÉRONIQUE

Scott Grimes came home on new release day. Enjoyable kid with RC's impeccable wizardry intact. To my ears this would've been a fine CarpenterS album. I hear Karen thru-out and with Rich in the background it only illuminates the idea. ONE IN A MILLION is my fave track.

RC's solo album TIME reeks of tunes that could've been wrapped around K's vocals.

If nothing else these productions are an indicator of where the duo may have gone. I'm somewhat able to give these a listen and employ some Karen on lead. If only in fantasy. On the other hand, listening to these projects will stir meloncholia.

The other day I was wondering whether or not Karen had lived to recognize her stellar record sales. It has been reported that K was disheartened by the absence of hit material in the late 70's. Understanding that she was in fact the top American hit machine of the previous decade may have...???

In my experience wallowing in the WHAT IF's doesn't make for a rousing afternoon.

I've yet to hear AKIKO and VERONIQUE'. I haven't pursued these productions vigorously. I understand that AKIKO is hauntingly reminiscent. I feel that I don't necessarily need to give these a listen. I've already got the general idea and why invoke a rain cloud.

Jeff

djn said:
I've yet to hear AKIKO and VERONIQUE'. I haven't pursued these productions vigorously. I understand that AKIKO is hauntingly reminiscent. I feel that I don't necessarily need to give these a listen. I've already got the general idea and why invoke a rain cloud.

Jeff, it's your 'rain cloud' scenario that keeps me from enjoying the AKIKO album. Her voice is at times just too darn close, almost cruelly so.

VÉRONIQUE is much more upbeat and happy-sounding in comparison. Her vocals aren't remeniscent of Karen at all - more like Sheena Easton. It's Rich's production work in combination with Veronique's vocal talent that really makes that album shine for me.

Harry
NP: VÉRONIQUE

Hey All
Call me blonde but after
reading FunkyFakeTations post
he quotes Scott as saying the album
went card board. Did the album ever
make it to the store shelf and are
there any sites where you can buy
tracks from the album?

Jeff I totally understand how you
feel about Akiko's City Of Angels.
To this day, as much as I admire
Richard, I don't know what he was
thinking when he produced this album. Its just bizzare but I love
jazz and Only The Angels Know is
so smooth. Of course know matter
how good the song, you can't escape
the saddnes of Richards music without Karen.
JIM

Yes, the SCOTT GRIMES album was available at retail. That's where I bought mine - a local Sam Goody store. I recall sitting in the parking lot listening to it, intrigued by the names Richard Carpenter and Herb Alpert, and of course remembering the track that Scott did on TIME.

Harry
...not fully comprehending the term, "went cardboard", online...

I think there are great tracks worth a listen on all three albums.
Akiko's "China River" is really nice- even though "Only the Angles Know" is most mentioned.
Veronique's "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me" is terrific pop!
I also favor Scott Grimes "Walling on the Water"- excellent vocal backing and overdubs by Richard.
I think all three albums are worth the time...

While I don't wander into the Carpenters Forum very often, the "Scott Grimes" subject caught my eye. Yes, the album was released. Personally I enjoy listening to it, mainly to see where Richard goes with out his sister's voice

sp5244.jpg

As for roles others have mentioned his semi-regular bit in later seasons of Party Of Five and the kid parts in both Critters films.

His most recent part of note, though was on HBO's critically accliamed Band Of Brothers...

--Mr Bill
www.irscorner.com

OK, I'm taking notice of Scott Grimes' album cover! Is that an Art Direction by Kosh?? :o

Dave

...who figures that is another "collectible" angle, right there :idea: ...Kosh has designed album art for Linda Ronstadt, James Taylor, Michael Johnson, etc. :shock: :)

^^ Re the art direction on SCOTT GRIMES:

Art Direction: Chuck Beeson and Richard Frankel
Design: Mary Maurer
Photography: Peggy Sirota

Harry
...art for art's sake, online...

Sorry for all the typos in my previous post! :)
Too many long hours and days in a row without any time off!
Mark

O.K. Call me platinum blonde.
I checked Ebay, no album at this
time. Are there any other sources
for this album? I would really
love to hear Richards backround
vocals. Richards makes the most
interesting use of chord inversions
when it comes to backing vocals.
I wish I had obtained a copy way
back in the pre internet era.
I hope Scott did not turn into
card board along with his album.
Just kidding FunkFakeTation.

Hey All just before the last of
the air was leaking from my head.
I realized I had not checked GEMM.
There where several reasonably
priced new and used CD's Cass.
and LP's of Scott Grimes.
JIM

After Jim's reminder to check GEMM as well as ebay for things, I did some investingating of my own, while remembering this titbit of info from an old thread on Veronique:

Murray said:
mstaft said:
PS- Does anyone have the Veronique single of "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me" with the English vocal interlude? Is so, please pass it on...

I found the single at a thrift store a couple of years ago. In addition to the album version, it also contains the English "vocal interlude" version, as well as one called "percussapella". This one is really cool, as it is just vocals and percussion. If I remember correctly, I think you can even hear Richard laugh in the background.

Though I recall once seeing the CD single of "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me" end without my bidding on it on eBay, I've not seen it since.

But I DID find a 12" vinyl version of it on GEMM - a promo disc from Canada. It's likely got the same four tracks on it as the CD-single, including the English 'vocal interlude' version. I hope it's in good shape.

Harry
...happy to have found this one, online...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom