"Santa Claus Is..." Lead Vocal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that its well documented that Karen's lead for this song was put to tape in 1972 and was finished in 1974, but does anyone else think her voice sounds like its from that even richer/creamier 1974-75 era? It sounds more like her Horizon voice than the one on ASFY. I know that it's that *that* big a difference, but it always struck me. Maybe it was a conscious effort to sound more sexy or sensual?

You are not alone in this observation.
For years I mistakenly thought that the lead vocal was late 1974.
I've listened to this song hundreds of times, and to this day I would claim 1974,
but, as per documented sources, I am apparently wrong.
Call me crazy!

I've always thought that Karen's clarity, resonance and control was at its peak consistency in the early 70s, certainly no later. So when I first came across this song, I was surprised that Karen's voice still had these exact same qualities in 1974. I'd tend to think the claim that her lead was recorded in 1972 is bona fide.

He's making a list, he's checking it twice,
Gonna find out who's naughty or nice....

Hearing and watching her sing this, I think I'm going to end up on Santa's naughty list.....anyone care to join me?!

Last edited:
I was always under the impression that backing tracks were done in 1972, but the lead was completed in 1974. But I could be wrong.

Thanks A&M Retro! This at least proves that the structure of the song was pretty well set before 1972 /74. Some of the significant changes subsequently made (even if they appear minor) were the addition of harmonies at the intro, slightly changed phrasing on some of Karen's repeated lines, and of course Bob Messenger's solo break. The crowd loved it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom