Rio 2 Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
About as expected. Most sequels have the same problem: They take the same kind of story as the first movie had, and just overload it with more of everything -- more characters, more special effects, more songs, more action, more blah blah blah, rather than just making a good movie. Result: Watching it just tires you out. They should take a lesson from TV shows -- it's possible to have the same characters in a different story from one episode to the next without having to "top" the previous episodes all the time.

The original Rio movie didn't impress me, nor did the music. Can't say I care to see it retreaded...

GREAT news about Sergio's forthcoming album!

Q: With "Rio 2" finished, are you strictly focusing on the new album?

A: Yes, it's all original music, all about new songs -- Brazilian music with guests. I wrote with John Legend, who's one of the guests. Carlinhos Brown, Seu Jorge, Milton Nascimento, Maria Cantu. It has the Brazilian magic - percussion, great singers, very contemporary. There's no rapping on it.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/c...269/sergio-mendes-talks-rio-2-world-cup-music

I like that it's all new, fresh material and no re-jigging of earlier, superior B'66 songs.
And no rapping. :pineapple::goodie::taz::laugh::b-peat::rotf::b-elvis::righton:

If you read the article it's kind of confusing -- it never explicitly says anything about a new Sergio Mendes album but rather a various artists album. Here is the paragraph above the Q&A you quoted:

Beyond "Rio 2," Mendes and Brown have contributed a song to Sony Music's official 2014 FIFA World Cup album "One Love, One Rhythm" that will be released May 12. The Mendes-Brown track, "One Nation," appears along with new music from Pitbull, Shakira and Arlindo Cruz and pairings that include Bebel Gilberto and Lang Lang and Carlos Santana, Wyclef, Avicii and Alexandre Pires. Mendes discussed his projects after a performance in Seattle prior to the "Rio 2" premiere in Miami.

But then later in the article, it says:

Q. This should be a very busy year for you with "Rio 2," the new album and a tour. When will we see you in the U.S.?
A. Probably in the fall or late summer, I hope. We're going to Japan at end of May, Europe in July for the music festivals.

So....maybe there IS a new all-Sergio album. But maybe not. I hope there is. Meanwhile, what he says about the Rio 2 soundtrack makes me want to check it out. We'll be playing the movie here in a couple of weeks so I'll be keeping an ear on the soundtrack for sure.

'Rio 2'...--A kiddie film & nothing I would take too much to heart especially being in the ranks of movies whose titles end in Roman Numerals (that are not ROCKY or JAWS) and when there aren't too many unanswered questions to have to continue tired sagas (AMITYVILLE II, anyone? YOUNG GUNS 2?), that we can't deny our young the opportunity to take them to--long as they behave! (I'm waiting for my daughter to grow into an 'attentive stage' so we can see LEGO MOVIE--and hope I don't have to sneak out to see it again on my own for what I miss or can't take in the 1st time...!)

Only offering a few things in the score for the grown-ups to appreciate & enjoy, otherwise, the "grown-up material" in the way of everything from "our music or artists, actor/actress voices & character voicing", to bathroom jokes, give this stuff a little, gentle, extra needed pacing...!

-- Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom