Richard Carpenter in "WRECKING CREW FILM"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Sidoruk

Founder, A&M Fan Net
Staff member
Richard is in the "WRECKING CREW FILM," as well in out takes which are included in the DVD. Denny Tedesco has done just an unbelievable job pulling this project together after many years of hard work.

Here is the link: www.wreckingcrewfilm.com

Notice the "Top Of The World" 45 Carpenters rainbow logo in the jukebox art on the DVD/Blu-ray cover:

81inHa9HyFL._SL1500_.jpg

Release date on hard media is June 16th.

Harry

My WRECKING CREW film arrived today. I'm planning on watching it for the first time tonight. It'll be an interesting "sequel" of sorts to the movie we went to see yesterday, LOVE AND MERCY, the Brian Wilson bio-pic. One thing I've noticed about the Blu-ray, is that the cover is just a little different than above:

WreckingCrewCover.jpg

First, it's got some critics quotes near the top. Second, several artists are different - or have different typography of their names. You can see that Shelley Fabares has replaced The Partridge Family, Ike & Tina Turner, Henry Mancini, The Ronettes and Carpenters have different typography. Interesting...

Harry

I missed this thread, don't remember seeing it, I like the Top of the World Carpenters logo better on the blu ray, why did they change that? No copyright clearance? How much time does Richard appear on this DVD/Blu Ray?

My WRECKING CREW film arrived today. I'm planning on watching it for the first time tonight. It'll be an interesting "sequel" of sorts to the movie we went to see yesterday, LOVE AND MERCY, the Brian Wilson bio-pic. One thing I've noticed about the Blu-ray, is that the cover is just a little different than above:

WreckingCrewCover.jpg

First, it's got some critics quotes near the top. Second, several artists are different - or have different typography of their names. You can see that Shelley Fabares has replaced The Partridge Family, Ike & Tina Turner, Henry Mancini, The Ronettes and Carpenters have different typography. Interesting...

Harry

I saw the Richard outtakes last year, although never saw them on the film (I did a rental download thru iTunes and those weren't included). I talked to Denny Tedesco the film's creator last week and he said they were on the long version. Have you had a chance to see them Harry?

I got my copy today too, but I'm going to convert it to the proper format so I can watch it in the theater. (By myself, of course ... my wife isn't really interested in it and it would be illegal to show it to an audience without paying a hefty fee.)

The conversion process takes about 15 to 20 hours so I'm planning to watch it tomorrow night.

I got my copy today too, but I'm going to convert it to the proper format so I can watch it in the theater. (By myself, of course ... my wife isn't really interested in it and it would be illegal to show it to an audience without paying a hefty fee.)

The conversion process takes about 15 to 20 hours so I'm planning to watch it tomorrow night.

I'm on my way...

We watched the film last evening on Blu-ray and both enjoyed it. I think Marie was dazzled by the sheer number of recognizable hits that these guys performed on. I was fascinated by seeing and hearing the story in their own voices.

The main film runs 1:42 and there are many many extras. Each extra is lumped into a section that it best fits in: Songs, Musician Jokes, Artists, etc. and some of these sections have a Play All or individual option. So for instance, the Richard Carpenter section is in with "Songs" then "Close To You".

The movie is largely composed of archival footage of these guys and as a result, the aspect ratio is changeable from segment to segment. Modern stuff is widescreen (1.78:1), older stuff is 4:3, but none of that distracts from the enjoyment of the film. The soundtrack is outstanding with many tracks in true stereo which sounded rather exciting on my setup, which is basically a 3.0 speaker setup. The dialog was directed toward the center channel with the right and left grabbing the great stereo sound.

The picture quality varies depending on the clips featured. Some are very rough looking, some are quite good. Lots of stuff on Hal Blaine, Carol Kaye, Tommy Tedesco, Joe Osborn, etc., just lots of fun and information. I loved seeing the archival footage and stills of the actual session dates.

You owe it to yourself to see this film if you've ever listened to a pop record from the '60s.

Harry

We watched the film last evening on Blu-ray and both enjoyed it. I think Marie was dazzled by the sheer number of recognizable hits that these guys performed on. I was fascinated by seeing and hearing the story in their own voices.

The main film runs 1:42 and there are many many extras. Each extra is lumped into a section that it best fits in: Songs, Musician Jokes, Artists, etc. and some of these sections have a Play All or individual option. So for instance, the Richard Carpenter section is in with "Songs" then "Close To You".

The movie is largely composed of archival footage of these guys and as a result, the aspect ratio is changeable from segment to segment. Modern stuff is widescreen (1.78:1), older stuff is 4:3, but none of that distracts from the enjoyment of the film. The soundtrack is outstanding with many tracks in true stereo which sounded rather exciting on my setup, which is basically a 3.0 speaker setup. The dialog was directed toward the center channel with the right and left grabbing the great stereo sound.

The picture quality varies depending on the clips featured. Some are very rough looking, some are quite good. Lots of stuff on Hal Blaine, Carol Kaye, Tommy Tedesco, Joe Osborn, etc., just lots of fun and information. I loved seeing the archival footage and stills of the actual session dates.

You owe it to yourself to see this film if you've ever listened to a pop record from the '60s.

Harry
Thanks SO much!! I'll plan on obtaining my personal copy...

At first I was surprised they didn't use the "real" Carpenters logo on that DVD cover, but then I got to thinking since the logo is fairly tall, it would have to be quite small to fit in the wide/flat space available.

I wonder if there are different "editions" of the cover for collectors.

At first I was surprised they didn't use the "real" Carpenters logo on that DVD cover, but then I got to thinking since the logo is fairly tall, it would have to be quite small to fit in the wide/flat space available.

I wonder if there are different "editions" of the cover for collectors.

Well there's also the licensing consideration. Doubtful that Denny cleared it - at least not without a hefty fee :shake:

If you purchase (not rent) from iTunes so you can get the extras, you will see the interviews not included in the main version. I took a shot in the dark to check it out since I could not find a blueray copy around town. I wanted to pass it along, for it is great not to have to wait on special orders and get instant downloads.

If you purchase (not rent) from iTunes so you can get the extras, you will see the interviews not included in the main version. I took a shot in the dark to check it out since I could not find a blueray copy around town. I wanted to pass it along, for it is great not to have to wait on special orders and get instant downloads.

There's quite a bit of outtake with Richard - FYI for the fans. He talks about the Close To You sessions a bit, then under the "jokes" tab (I believe on disc 2) he's in there telling a dirty joke. Quite the character LOL

I finally saw the Wrecking Crew documentary (now streaming on Netflix!), and I thought I’d share a few thoughts:
  • First things first, it needs an editor, as it’s overly long (for my short attention span, anyway), and took me several nights to get through in small bites. Relatedly, we hear the same commentary over and over from the same people (i.e., Herb Alpert, Cher, etc.) too many times, while other commentators (cough-cough, ah-hem, RC!) landed on the cutting room floor.
  • While, perhaps, understandable, as the film is the project of his son, it overly focused on one of the crew: the delightful Tommy Tedesco – he deserves his own documentary, but this one should have been more about the crew.
  • As noted earlier, the sluggish documentary needed a bit of organization. Something like:
  1. Intro/set-up to the story, which would set the stage for how a group of musicians could take such prominence,
  2. More on how the group was gathered (they mentioned this a bit) and more stories from the trenches,
  3. A consistent overview of each of the crew members and what happened to them immediately after the WC heydays in the early 1970’s (again, a bit of this story was told: Glen Campbell, Leon Russell, Hal Blaine) and then
  4. Where are they now? From the documentary, last I know about Hal Blaine, for example, is that he’s excited about his induction into the R&R HOF, but he’s still scraping by on odd security jobs and alimony payments. I’m guessing things have turned around for him, but…?
That said, I’m glad it exists and appreciative of the love that went into the documentation of this legendary group of musicians.

I viewed this last night on Netflix; very good overall and I was blown away by all the songs I recognized. Unfortunately, Richard was NOT in this 'version' - unless I fell asleep, but his name was in the credits. Very strange.

I viewed this last night on Netflix; very good overall and I was blown away by all the songs I recognized. Unfortunately, Richard was NOT in this 'version' - unless I fell asleep, but his name was in the credits. Very strange.

I'll go through and extract all of the outtakes, jokes, etc featuring Richard and upload here for access.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom