Raphael Ravenscroft R.I.P.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AM Matt

Forum Undertaker
Saxophonist Raphael Ravenscroft, who played on the late Gerry Rafferty's "Baker Street" (from 1978 "City To City") has died of a heart attack at the age of 60 on October 19. He also played sax on Gerry's "Get It Right Next Time" (from 1979 "Night Owl"). Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Saxophonist Raphael Ravenscroft, who played on the late Gerry Rafferty's "Baker Street" (from 1978 "City To City") has died of a heart attack at the age of 60 on October 19. He also played sax on Gerry's "Get It Right Next Time" (from 1979 "Night Owl").

And the two are reunited in that Rock 'N' Roll Heaven, re-living those good times!

-- Dave

According to legend, Raf got £27.50 for playing on 'Baker Street', but the cheque bounced. gerry, on the other hand, made £80,000 in royalties on the track. Maybe they're discussing financial matters right now?

I love that song, but not merely for the sax riff, but more for the lyrics. It's been one of my favorites since the age of 14.

I love that song for both the lyrics and the sax. I didn't know Gerry Rafferty was already gone!

--Mr Bill

Yes, he died on January 4, 2011 from liver failure, due to alcoholism. Rumor has it, though, that he left a wealth of material soon to be released. My interest is certainly peeked.

I'm a big fan of "Baker Street", too--both Gerry's and the jazz remake by Jon Faddis (on his 1978 Arista/Buddah/Versatile LP, Good And Plenty)... But, if there was one song Gerry Rafferty did that I thought had great lyrics and terrific hooks (guitar-work, though; not Raphael Ravenscroft's sax) it, to me, would have to be "Right Down The Line"...

-- Dave

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom