Ranking Christmas Performances...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarryT60

SO - - we've ranked albums, singles, non singles, even songs we wish Karen and Richard would have recorded.... But I can't recall a challenge to rank our top Christmas songs...
So - what will it be?

Name your top 3 Christmas favorites! (It would be so wonderful to say top 5 - but I wanted to make it difficult.)

Mine:
  • Merry Christmas Darling
  • Do You Hear What I Hear
and why of why did I say 3???
  • I suppose Christmas Waltz -
  • but Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas, It's Christmas Time and The Christmas Song are so tempting!
Okay - It's Christmas!!

top 6! :)

This is indeed a tough one. There's best performance, then there's best overall song, then there's best arrangement... and all are different for me.

My favorite Karen vocal performance of all time (Christmas or non-Christmas) is "Little Altar Boy." Not a great song, really, but Karen's performance is stunning in its perfection.

Best overall Christmas song by Karen & Richard? "Merry Christmas, Darling," obviously. I'm more a fan of the 1978 version, simply because I think Karen's vocal is better, even though the 1970 version has a strong appeal, too.

Best arrangement? "Santa Claus Is Comin' to Town." It takes a familiar, classic tune, and goes full-on "Carpenters" with it.

That said, the Christmas season doesn't begin for me until "Christmas Waltz" has been played. It has been the first Christmas song I've played each year for decades now. Actually, that's not even true, because I usually just start at the beginning of Christmas Portrait and play the whole thing from start to finish to open Christmas music season.

"The Christmas Song" is another classic. Easily my favorite version of a song that has been recorded by a million different people. I'll even take the Carpenters' version over Nat King Cole's.

For my sixth choice, it's kind of a toss-up. I think I'll go with "Sleigh Ride," simply because it is pure magic. "I'll Be Home for Christmas" is a close runner-up, though.

An Old Fashioned Christmas - I love Richard's vocals on this track and this song brings so many memories to me of my past Christmas's. I'm often humming this song from the middle of no where, I could be shopping for groceries and this song will appear in my head and I'm singing Richard's part. This happens every year when Christmas returns.

Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town - the single version for me, love love love Karen on this, brings out the child in me.

Little Altar Boy - it's a perfect and intimate reading full of emotion.

Merry Christmas Darling - it's obvious....I'll take the live Bruce Forsyth version please....much more expressive reading....can I plug in my name instead of Bruce at the end? How can I do this? :wink:

Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas - It's not Christmas without hearing Karen bring in the season with this song. Love it!! It's like she is still with us.....

Great topic, Barry! And a fun exercise! I will stick with the initial premise of three choices.
  1. "Merry Christmas Darling" --- This is where it all began. It's the C's in their wheelhouse: Karen's warm and intimate delivery of a love song that exudes longing.
  2. "Ave Maria" --- It's all Latin to me! :) But, my gosh, has anyone ever sung this song any better? I think not! The final crescendo note is chill-inducing and arguably one of Karen's finest moments. (Self-edit: I was confusing the final note in "Ave Maria" with the final note in "Christ Is Born," mentioned by others, but "Ave Maria" still gets my nod for overall performance---and it, too, is chill-inducing...)
  3. "Santa Claus Is Coming to Town" --- Bruce who? Yeah, Springsteen gets all the airplay on this one, but treatment by the C's (including the vocal overdubs) elevates it through Karen's inimitable and, dare I say, sexy style and Richard's unmistakable lavish arrangement.

Last edited:
Mine have changed over the years!

1. Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas (gets more airplay than ANY other Carpenters song and deservedly so!)

and the runners up...
2. Merry Christmas Darling (1978 version)
3. Home For The Holidays
4. Sleigh Ride

ood Lord....just too hard, but here goes....

'Merry Christmas Darling' (1970 version):
It's my favorite for so many reasons....notably because it reminds me of the first time I heard it on AM radio as a kid. It was snowing outside, and I caught most of it with my tape recorder. :) Karen's vocal performance, Richard's arrangement, the song itself....can't be beat!

'Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas':

As I mentioned this week in a previous thread, Karen SOARS on this song like no other. It's just unreal.

'Do You Hear What I Hear':
The orchestra, arrangement and Karen's amazing vocal seals it for me. The first time I heard it, I was blown away. And I still am.

Looks like Barry and I have very similar taste. :)

ood Lord....just too hard, but here goes....

'Merry Christmas Darling' (1970 version):
It's my favorite for so many reasons....notably because it reminds me of the first time I heard it on AM radio as a kid. It was snowing outside, and I caught most of it with my tape recorder. :) Karen's vocal performance, Richard's arrangement, the song itself....can't be beat!

'Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas':

As I mentioned this week in a previous thread, Karen SOARS on this song like no other. It's just unreal.

'Do You Hear What I Hear':
The orchestra, arrangement and Karen's amazing vocal seals it for me. The first time I heard it, I was blown away. And I still am.

Looks like Barry and I have very similar taste. :)
I am loving the commentary here! Thanks everyone!

I'll elaborate here on mine...

For me , on MCD, the 1970 version is my favorite - possibly because the nuances of that recording, like A&M Retro, reminds me precisely of hearing that song played in the early 70's on the radio... When you think about it - it was the ONLY Christmas song that was played in those early 70's on the radio, sans I Saw Mommy / J 5 and the Lennon Happy Xmas song... And - I agree with Chris - that an honorable mention goes out to that Bruce Forsythe solo... I play the YouTube every year on Christmas Eve...

For Do You Hear? - it may be that it was first heard - after poor Karen had left us..so I appreciated it all the more....
Or it just may be that she hits those notes and that melody with a soft and precise sophistication that captures eloquence, pristine style, and an easy intimacy that is total Karen Carpenter. Plus the arrangement is spectacular. I thank Richard for releasing this gem - which if I recall correctly had a flaw in the first verse, thus his additional recording. I love this one from beginning to end.

For Christmas Waltz, I like Davidgra's assessment above.... Those are always such great notes to kick off the season.... "Frosted Window Panes"...

If I were to choose between The Christmas Song, Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas, and I'll Be Home For Christmas, the "classic trifecta", although I adore The Christmas Song, there's just that little bit of extra magic on Have Yourself - that trumps it just a little for me.... Then again - it's almost like trying to pick a favorite among your children.... Impossible to do.... (ALMOST!!!)

This holiday season I've been listening to CHRISTMAS COLLECTION much more than I have in the last few years. It's not Christmas without the Carpenters, is it?

My top favorite is "Have yourself a merry little Christmas". Her voice soars. I'll never forget being at Disney World when I was an older teenager and hearing this song play over their loud speakers. I was so touched. It may be Judy's song... and I love Judy singing it, but Karen really nails it.

This holiday season I've been listening to CHRISTMAS COLLECTION much more than I have in the last few years. It's not Christmas without the Carpenters, is it?

My top favorite is "Have yourself a merry little Christmas". Her voice soars. I'll never forget being at Disney World when I was an older teenager and hearing this song play over their loud speakers. I was so touched. It may be Judy's song... and I love Judy singing it, but Karen really nails it.
I T-Totally agree! :)

Another tough one:
I'll go for-
1.)The Single version of Santa Claus is Coming to Town,
2.)Little Altar Boy,

3.)1970 version of Merry Christmas, Darling

But, everyone has great picks, and there are so many great songs to choose from!
Songs One and Three, on my list, exemplify--to me-- everything the Carpenters bring to music, in general.
The second song, well, that's just Karen Carpenter's vocals ---unearthly.

My top 3...oh my gosh!

1) Ave Maria....her version is out of this world. She commands this song! Just a beautiful interpretation...

2) Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas....beautiful....Judy who?

3) Do You Hear What I hear?....I adore this version....I love how her voice soars at the end....

If I had to choose a 4th....it would be...

4) The Christmas Song....I never grew up listening to Nat King Cole's version....but I loved Karen's able and beautiful reading...she makes it her own.

5)...just adding a FUN song....SLEIGH RIDE. Love it!

1. Merry Christmas Darling (1978 version) - This is the definitive Carpenters Christmas song - an original that became a classic. I prefer the more mature, polished 1978 vocal, but the original is great too!

2. Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas - As others have already mentioned, Karen soars on this one. I really appreciate that they recorded the (rarely heard) verse at the beginning (ditto for "I'll Be Home For Christmas" and "The Christmas Song")

3. Christ Is Born - Karen's last "alleluia" is the MOST chill-inducing moment in any Carpenters song, EVER! (It is for me, anyway)

I know we were supposed to stick to our "Top 3", but what the heck... :laugh:

4. Santa Claus Is Coming To Town (original single version) - I love Richard's jazzy arrangement, Bob Messenger's sax solo, and Karen's sensual vocals.

5. Sleigh Ride - This song is so much fun to listen to, and Karen hits some wonderful low notes. Chills!

1. Merry Christmas Darling (1978 version) - This is the definitive Carpenters Christmas song - an original that became a classic. I prefer the more mature, polished 1978 vocal, but the original is great too!

2. Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas - As others have already mentioned, Karen soars on this one. I really appreciate that they recorded the (rarely heard) verse at the beginning (ditto for "I'll Be Home For Christmas" and "The Christmas Song")

3. Christ Is Born - Karen's last "alleluia" is the MOST chill-inducing moment in any Carpenters song, EVER! (It is for me, anyway)

I know we were supposed to stick to our "Top 3", but what the heck... :laugh:

4. Santa Claus Is Coming To Town (original single version) - I love Richard's jazzy arrangement, Bob Messenger's sax solo, and Karen's sensual vocals.

5. Sleigh Ride - This song is so much fun to listen to, and Karen hits some wonderful low notes. Chills!

I got chills - reading about your chills..... - really! This is some great stuff - and I am so glad we have not one - but two albums worth or material to embrace and enjoy!!

I like all that everyone has mentioned, but I usually include I Heard The Bells on Christmas Day, in my playlist of Christmas favorites. And, if for some reason dig out one I don't often include in rotation, it becomes my new favorite. So, as long as Karen sings them, I like them all.
It's Christmas Time/Sleep Well Little Children, Merry Christmas Darling (1970 cut), First Snowfall, Do You Hear What I Hear, Little Altar Boy, and Santa Clause is Coming to Town, are my top six. I agree with Chris, Little Altar Boy is perfect from top to bottom. If I include I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas, Home For The Holidays and He Came Here For Me, it would round out the top ten for me, this week!

I like all that everyone has mentioned, but I usually include I Heard The Bells on Christmas Day, in my playlist of Christmas favorites. And, if for some reason dig out one I don't often include in rotation, it becomes my new favorite. So, as long as Karen sings them, I like them all.
It's Christmas Time/Sleep Well Little Children, Merry Christmas Darling (1970 cut), First Snowfall, Do You Hear What I Hear, Little Altar Boy, and Santa Clause is Coming to Town, are my top six. I agree with Chris, Little Altar Boy is perfect from top to bottom. If I include I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas, Home For The Holidays and He Came Here For Me, it would round out the top ten for me, this week!

Oh man.... I forgot about I heard the bells on Christmas Day!!!!

I LOVE that one too! That's a goosebumper one for me....

A special mention for I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day. It is essentially an 'outtake', and Karen mis-pronounces the word 'Christendom' ... but the effortless breath control! Just try copying it ... I bet you can't.

On the topic of Christmas performances, I watched the 1977 Carpenters at Christmas,
which is quite a good show. (Why they could not get A-list guest stars is beyond me.)
Overall, I enjoy this Christmas Special, and the O'Holy Night Instrumental by Richard Carpenter (from 29m to 32m)
is fantastic. (More of that, I would like from him.)
The song choice is excellent,
and especially the captivating beginning (Karen sings, in white fur)
and the ending (Karen sings Christ is Born)
conspire for a very nice Christmas Special.
Karen and Richard gave the public a good variety special, with this one.
This Christmas Show is DVD- worthy.
(Of course, I need to watch the 1978 Christmas show, now)

I think of performance different than I think of favorite songs. But I'll throw in a couple of thoughts.
"Silent Night" - Karen sings this with the conviction the song requires to be really impactful.
"I'll Be Home for Christmas" - Always gets me.
"What are You Doing New Year's Eve?" - Every bit the romantic Christmas tune, just as sweet and wistful as MCD.

(Of course, I need to watch the 1978 Christmas show, now)

Might just be me but I think the second Christmas special is worse than the first. Why on earth they went after B-list celebrities like Kristy and Jimmy McNichol and Georgia Engel is beyond me. The dialogue and acting are (for want of a better word) crap all round. The only thing that saves most of their specials is the music.

Well said, Stephen !
As you rightly ascertained..I found the 1978 Christmas Special rather wanting.
A distant ghost of the previous Christmas special.
Director/Producer Bob Henry referred to the specials as "theatrically sound", in one of the documentaries.
The Como Christmas Special, from 1974, was enjoyable. (Nick Vanoff , Director).
The 1977 (and 197:cool: special has Werner Wolfen as Production Associate and Jerry Weintraub credited as Executive Producer.
In the 1977 Special Billy May is credited, whereas in 1978 it is Peter Knight.
Whatever changes transpired from 1977 to 1978, where not necessarily good ones, as the first Christmas special surpasses the second.
I'll go out on a limb: As has been stated in Coleman..."the blame rests with the producer."
(Who 'sat in' on the 'playbacks'--before the specials aired?)
Carpenters deserved Better.

Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town from the 1974 Perry Como Christmas Special gets my #1 vote. Does it really matter what comes in 2nd and 3rd place?

Everyone's heard of the basic tune, so this would be the ideal song to introduce to those who've never heard of the Carpenters before. Both Karen with her singing and Richard with his arranging are at their very best here, playing to their strengths.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom