Question abt Anne Murray and Karen Carpenter....

Status
Not open for further replies.

cam89

Hi All,
I've been listening a lot to singer Anne Murray who is a famous Canadian singer on our side of the border...anyways. I was listening to her album DUETS which was a hit...but I always wondered abt the fact that she did a duet with Dusty Springfield on I JUST FALL IN LOVE AGAIN....well she heard Dusty layed down a track and the album folded....and so she got the track and sang with it...hence the album called DUETS.

I always wondered if Anne would have ever considered doing a duet with Karen, if she had not found out that Dusty did it. Anne was a fan and friend and admirer of Dusty.

I know Anne sang on MAKE YOUR OWN KIND OF MUSIC but always wondered if Anne and Karen/Richard had ever met. And what they thought of each other.

Jann Arden, Olivia Newton John, Amy Grant, Martina McBride, kd Lang, Shania Twain, Celine Dion sang on this album, with Dusty Springfield and most of these women were huge fans of Karen or have said Karen was an influence/inspiration.

I always wonder though what Anne thought of Karen...and Karen's voice....

Well they both had beautiful alto voices! I love Anne's song YOU NEEDED ME and DANNY'S SONG. She was called Canada's Karen Carpenter! Not sure if she enjoyed that sentiment or not. Or maybe it's two suns don't shine at the same time!

Anne covered Let Me Be The One, I Just Fall In Love Again....and of course many Christmas songs Karen had sung. I love Anne's Christmas tunes almost as much as Karen's....almost!

I saw Anne Murray in concert once back in the 1970s and enjoyed the show very much. Still have an album of hers ripped to my computer. She has a beautiful voice. Andy Kim was the lead in act.

Did you know that Anne Murray's daughter once suffered from an eating disorder? A long time ago I saw a bit of an interview with the two of them when she was recovering.

Yes, Dawn Langstroth, Anne's daughter and her did a big tour on all the talk shows, talking about her battling anorexia. It was interesting to listen to. Anne's mother was a bit of a tough lady, from what I've read of what Anne wrote in her books. Dawn is a beautiful singer in her own right. If you type in Dawn Langstroth and Anne Murray and I JUST FALL IN LOVE AGAIN there is a video clip of them singing from Anne's tv special....

Hi All,
I've been listening a lot to singer Anne Murray who is a famous Canadian singer on our side of the border...anyways. I was listening to her album DUETS which was a hit...but I always wondered abt the fact that she did a duet with Dusty Springfield on I JUST FALL IN LOVE AGAIN....well she heard Dusty layed down a track and the album folded....and so she got the track and sang with it...hence the album called DUETS.

I always wondered if Anne would have ever considered doing a duet with Karen, if she had not found out that Dusty did it. Anne was a fan and friend and admirer of Dusty.

I know Anne sang on MAKE YOUR OWN KIND OF MUSIC but always wondered if Anne and Karen/Richard had ever met. And what they thought of each other.

Jann Arden, Olivia Newton John, Amy Grant, Martina McBride, kd Lang, Shania Twain, Celine Dion sang on this album, with Dusty Springfield and most of these women were huge fans of Karen or have said Karen was an influence/inspiration.

I always wonder though what Anne thought of Karen...and Karen's voice....
Anne Murray probably never met Karen.

Dusty Springfield recorded "I Just Fall In Love Again" in 1979.Anne heard Dusty's version and decided to record her own version.On Anne's Duets album-she was able to license Dusty's original recording from 1979-and added her newly recorded vocals to the track.

I doubt Anne & Karen would've ever considered a duet.Anne is basically a Country singer with her own unique style.And Karen was basically a Torch singer with her own unique style.Definitely not a good combination.

Making a comparison between Anne & Karen's versions of "I Just Fall In Love Again" is a case in point.Anne's version is a radio-ready Country-Pop formula ballad,whereas Karen's version is a lush piece of orchestral lounge music.

Last edited:
Anne happens to be my very favorite alto second to Karen. Not that Anne isn't a top-notch act, I'm just not as big a fan of the twangy side vs. the more pop-contemporary. Of course Karen will always be my first and foremost favorite female vocalists of all time :wink:

Anne happens to be my very favorite alto second to Karen. Not that Anne isn't a top-notch act, I'm just not as big a fan of the twangy side vs. the more pop-contemporary. Of course Karen will always be my first and foremost favorite female vocalists of all time :wink:

Actually, there really isn't much "twangy" about Anne Murray except for some of her arrangements. The Nashville country "establishment" has often been resentful of her for encroaching on what they consider their turf. Some of the producers she's worked with have been country-oriented, like Brian Ahern or Jim Ed Norman; others more toward pop, like Tom Catalano (who worked with Neil Diamond and Helen Reddy.) The "countrypolitan" production style, while disdained by hardcore country fans, has always been successful with the easy-listening audience.

Got the first 10 albums of Anne Murray on 6 CD's (including the 1968 debut "What About Me" thru "Highly Prized Possession") & all her Christmas CD's including a duet with Michael Buble!! The song "This Season Will Never Grow Old" had Karen lived should have also sung that song. The only 2 albums that I do not have by Anne from the 70's decade are "Together" & "Keeping In Touch" (2 albums on 1 CD). Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Also, I saw a concert announcement where Anne Murray was listed on the same bill as Carpenters -so maybe she opened for them once or twice.

Wow! I did not know about this duet album. Is it available for purchase somewhere?

The CD is available as a two-fer on one CD with the other Campbell duet album with Bobbie Gentry, and the Anne Murray/Glen Campbell standalone album is available as downloads on iTunes and Amazon. My source is still my ancient LP.

Harry

I still have that Anne & Glen along with Danny's Song album (2 albums on 1 CD) which is still available in Canada!! Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Love them both - although my music collection is definitely weighted in the Carpenters direction (like every album, loads of compilations, remixes and remasters etc). The one thing in my memories that Anne Murray has over the Karen is that I actually got to see her perform (Sydney, Australia in 1997) and had a chat with her after the show when she signed a CD for me - a very warm lady she was, too).

Hi I'm new to the Carpenters forum, I have been a fan since 1973 (god I'm old!). Thought I would reply first to this topic as I am also a huge fan of Anne Murray, infact she is still my favorite singer of all time. Sorry guys! But Anne does have a broader range than Karen who was basically a ballad singer, or rather she should have stuck to singing ballads like Helen Forrest did. I thought I would throw in my throughts to past comments.

1) I don't think Karen and Anne would have got on at all! But Olivia Newton John could probably answer that question best.
2) Anne's version of I just fall in love again is far superior, I think the Carpenters version is way overproduced and Karen was not putting her all into the song. infact I think its one of her weakest vocals.
3) Anne wasn't really country, she sort of fell into it, she has stated herself that she listened to all music growing up except country. And I do strongly believe that if the Carpentgers had gone on into the 80's and 90's that they would have gone more country/pop.
4) Anne's daughter Dawn did suffer with Anorexia too, but beat it and she does have a really beautiful voice, there is also a melancholy to it similar to Karen's
5) Anne's duets album is dreadful !!! the worst album she ever made. The only tracks that work are with women who can sing in her alto range, so that would have made Karen a perfect contendent if she wanted to do something similar to the duet with Dusty. The constant key changes are annoying to move into the other singers keys. And also of note is that fact that Phil Ramone produced that album too, could he not produce women? and PS, really! Anne would have been jealous of Karen's voice, not in a million years!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom