Post about Karen Carpenter's drumming goes viral on Drum Talk TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony

In case you guys haven't seen it, a post on Drum Talk TV's Facebook page that was put up on the anniversary of Karen's death featuring her drum solo from the 1976 TV special has gone viral, logging more than 750,000 views in two days. The comment section is filled with compliments, and more than 10,000 people have shared the post on their own page. It's really wonderful to see so many people sharing such admiration for her.

This solo drum clip gave me goose bumps and a renewed appreciation for Karen's extraordinary talents. Catch a view it's magnificent to see the viral chaos. ! How proud our girl should be. I know I am. Think I'll tune in again. This is like calling in requests relentlessly to the Portland dj's waaaay back in the day. Too fun!

Jeff

This video just crossed the 899,000 mark since yesterday! Closing in on 900,000. Three days and amazing...here comes the new SACD!!!

Yes Jeff, that post continues to be viewed by lots of people. It's really quite astonishing. The comment section is remarkable because there are so many people expressing surprise that Karen was such a good drummer. Some of these comments are from professional drummers too. And, of course, there are lots of people mentioning what a wonderful voice she had. And the comments accompanying the many 'shares' that people are posting are fun to read as well.

Favorite comment so far: "Karen just went from unfortunate 70's.80's voice talent that happened to be easy on the eyes to SMOKIN' wish you [were] still alive hot!!"

What's even more amazing about this video is that Karen recorded this drum sequence live for the BBC in 1976, and for me, the BBC video recording is far superior.

This lead sister video is great but I've been even more amazed at how well Karen played drums and sang at the same time, she was really so multi talented. The Mr. Guder video (live at belgium 74 and Budakon are a great example of this, she wails on those drums and has such a great time and also sings the lead keeping it all under control, she was actually playing 2 roles, drummer and singer. It's amazing when you think back to that time period, she had 2 incredible talents. It's a shame her first love could not have been incorporated more in her later career including her solo album.

Love the love she's getting for her first love. It's great to see so many others reacting to this the way I did the first time I saw it, lo all those years ago.

Yes, people K & R are great musicians!

This is why she used to be named best drummer against the likes of Bonham who said "I'd like to have it publicized that I came in after Karen Carpenter in the Playboy drummer poll! She couldn't last ten minutes with a Zeppelin number." I think Karen could have sat and beat the hell out of drums just as well Bonham. Why did everyone feel the need to diminish her talent?
Source: Mick Bonham Book
ir
- 1975 interview.

This is why she used to be named best drummer against the likes of Bonham who said "I'd like to have it publicized that I came in after Karen Carpenter in the Playboy drummer poll! She couldn't last ten minutes with a Zeppelin number." I think Karen could have sat and beat the hell out of drums just as well Bonham. Why did everyone feel the need to diminish her talent?
Source: Mick Bonham Book
ir
- 1975 interview.

It's meat heads like him who think the definition of a good drummer is how hard you can hit the kit or how loud you can make it sound. I'd like to see him try and replicate Karen's drumming on This Masquerade :)

It's meat heads like him who think the definition of a good drummer is how hard you can hit the kit or how loud you can make it sound. I'd like to see him try and replicate Karen's drumming on This Masquerade :)
Oh! This Masquerade! Kills Me! Everytime! I do actually actively listen just to her drums on this as they sing as beautifully as her voice. It's a beautiful duet of voice and drums, to me. But then it's a part of a Karen drumming comp I made for myself!

Oh! This Masquerade! Kills Me! Everytime! I do actually actively listen just to her drums on this as they sing as beautifully as her voice. It's a beautiful duet of voice and drums, to me. But then it's a part of a Karen drumming comp I made for myself!

I'd be interested in seeing your Karen drumming comp track listing. Can you post it?

Was Winner of the Playboy Drummer's Poll Karen Carpenter at least part of the reason leading to John Bonham's death??

I say, without a shadow of doubt, "Indirectly, Yes".

Consider JB's : "I'd like to have it publicised that I came in after Karen Carpenter....she couldn't last 10 minutes with a Zeppelin number."

and, according to witnesses on the very last day of his life (even though he was beset with personal problems) an unhappy John Bonham on his way to rehearsal saying, tellingly:

"I've had it with drums. Everybody plays better than me." This rehearsal was then followed by his 12 hour binge drinking session (40 shots of Vodka) from which he never woke up.*

Being beaten 5 years earlier by a wisp of a girl - a Carpenter no less - in the #1 man's magazine, must have been a huge blow not only to JB's ego, but ultimately, to his sense of self-actualisation. Did he ever recover? Could he ever recover? No - because his extremely competitive psychological profile (literally, a dead giveaway) and insecurity could never allow that to happen.

*Source: Welch and Nicholls "John Bonham - A Thunder of Drums" pp120 &121

Last edited:
I'd be interested in seeing your Karen drumming comp track listing. Can you post it?
Sorry it took me so long to reply, life is busy, and, well...

This is mostly rare, unreleased, live, plus the odd demo...

Caravan
The Parting of our Ways
Looking for Love
I'll be yours
The Girl From Ipanema
Iced Tea (battle of bands 1966)
Strangers in the Night(1966 Demo)
Every Little Thing(1966 Demo)
You'll Love Me (Summerchimes)
All I Can Do (Spectrum)
Dancing in the Streets(live tv)
Don't be Afraid(demo)
Your Wonderful Parade(demo)
Can't Buy Me Love(your Navy Presents)
Flat Baroque(Your Navy presents)
Cinderella Rockafella(YnP)
Nowadays Clancy Can't Even Sing/All I Can Do(Your Navy)
And when He Smiles(BBC, 1971)
I Fell in Love with You(BBC, 1971)
Bacharach Medley(Australia, 1972)
This Masquerade
Mr. Guder(Budokon, 1974)
Help(Budokon, 1974)
Johnny B. Goode(Budokon, 1974)
Piano Picker(Palladium, 1976)
Karen Drums Medley(Palladium, 1976)
I Got Rhythm(MMM, 1980)
Closing Medley(MMM, 1980)
Bonus: