Peter Nero's TJB Album

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMK

Contributor
I've been having a lot of fun digging through Peter Nero's discography. There's a great album from 1967 (part of a two-fer on CD) where he does all TJB material (with one original). His version of Zorba the Greek is absolutely incredible. Unfortunately there don't seem to be any tracks available on YouTube.

nero.jpg

I wasn't all that impressed with this album to be honest. But it was the thing to do back then, I guess.

Capt. Bacardi

The photos are neat especially Herb Alpert's endorsement...

But, likewise, I had found this LP to be uninspired, as well...

-- Dave

All I can say is as a pianist myself, Nero's technical mastery on Zorba, not to mention that incredible solo starting at around 00:59, are simply incredible to my ears. YMMV.

Honestly, I never was wild about ANY jazz artist covering popular music en masse. (I may be using that term incorrectly, but I hope you get my meaning here...)

When I hear these types of cover sets, all it does is make me yearn for the real deal. I mean, why bother? Don't get me wrong. I'm not against doing a song or two here or there, as Herb has done on his albums... but an entire album of someone else's songs re-done as a "tribute" to a particular artist/group? No thanks. I'll just play the originals and be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom