🎵 AotW Payloa$ - HAMMER ON A DRUM (SP-4958)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
Payola$
HAMMER ON A DRUM

A&M SP-4958

sp4958.jpg

A1I'll Find Another Way (Who Can Do It Right) 3:37
A2Where Is This Love 5:54
A3Wild West 3:11
A4Perhaps Some Day 3:30
A5Never Said I Loved YouFeaturing [With] – Carole Pope 3:18
B1No Prisoners 5:16
B2Christmas Is Coming 3:40
B3I Am A City 5:09
B4Hungry 4:10
B5People Who Have Great Lives 2:26

JB

Another band which moved from I.R.S. Records over to A&M. Interesting to note also is that this is where Bob Rock's roots are at. He is known today as a producer. (Probably one of the better selling albums he has worked on is Metallica's "black" album, with "Enter Sandman" and "Wherever I May Roam".)

Got the "20th Century Masters: The Millennium Collection" (Canadian import). Matt Clark Sanford, MI

This was a band that really rocked and was among the small handful of IRS artists that really got me hooked on New Wave and rock in general. Though I prefer the previous album (No Stranger To Danger) over this one, I have to say there are no songs on this that I feel inclined to skip except "I Am A City."

My favorite tunes are "Never Said I Loved You" featuring Carole Pope. A real catchy number that could easily have been a hit with its breezy guitar rhythm. Instead A&M pushed "Where Is This Love," a depressing statement on child abuse, as the lead single. I'm also partial to "People Who Had Great Lives" with its stunning horn arrangement and swaggering vocals by the whole band... And of course, "Christmas is Coming" remains one of the few Christmas songs of the new wave era to linger on two decades later (along with The Waitresses' "Christmas Wrapping"). The 12" single of that one was pressed on green vinyl.

I really wish their material was available on CD -- for now one has to settle for the Millenium best of (only available in their native Canada) or a slightly skimpier US compilation that misses some of their better tunes.

They got one more shot with A&M who was hoping to break them out in the US or worldwide -- they were already successful in Canada -- so they brought in producer David Foster. Why? Hello? they HAD Bob Rock right there! The resulting a lackluster album with the slightly altered name "Paul Hyde and Payolas" (dropping the "$" in case that was what was keeping DJs form playing them) performed dismally even in Canada. Released by A&M after that, Rock & Hyde moved to Capitol as, well, "Rock & Hyde" releasing one album (with a minor hit, "Dirty Water") with not much more success than they had at A&M. Rock went on to stardom as a producer and Hyde still performs in Vancouver, usually as an acoustic solo act but sometimes joined by former Payola$. Hyde's son is a composer/songwriter in his own right (and a rapper!) who has sampled some of his dad's tunes.

--Mr Bill

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom