Other Artists' Albums Remaking "Carpenters Songs"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

carpenters.gif

A UK-issued 'Carpenters songs compilation' by the late-Ray Conniff, drawn from noted LP's, while five of these songs are actually, previously unreleased:

1.Yesterday Once More (from Harmony)

2. I Won't Last A Day Without You

3. Top Of The World (from The Way We Were)

4. Rainy Days And Mondays

5. For All We Know (from Love Story)

6. Sing (from You Are The Sunshine Of My Life)

7. Superstar / There Was A Boy (Medley)

8. We've Only Just Begun (from We've Only Just Begun)

9. Hurting Each Other (from Love Theme From 'The Godfather')

10. Bless The Beasts And The Children

11. A Song For You

12. Close To You (from We've Only Just Begun)

Dave

a0048807.jpg

Ferrante & Teicher have also given us an LP's worth of Carpenters tracks, in Ferrante & Teicher Play The Carpenters Songbook, (instrumentally, of course) although a couple, at least, I believe were not "songs done by Karen & Richard":

1. Only Yesterday

2. (They Long To Be) Close To You

3. Yesterday Once More

4. All My Life

5. Top Of The World

6. Reflections

7. Sing

8. Superstar

9. We've Only Just Begun

10. Rainy Days & Mondays

11. For All We Know

12. Hey, Babe! / This Love Will Never End (Medley)

Dave

Dave said:

This last week I had the, ahn, pleasure, so to speak, of listening to this. I don't think I ever really listened to Ray Conniff before and these recordings sound like... shall I say... nothing exactly like I've listened to before, that's for sure.

Now what's his DISCOGRAPHY?? Did albums simply POURED out of him or what??

http://www.google.com.br/#hl=pt-BR&...=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&fp=a6e7d85ff1522ad7

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Conniff#Original_albums

And his last one was an album of Roberto Carlos covers!!! It FASCINATES me to imagine WHAT this would sound like!

http://www.google.com.br/images?hl=...ra O Rei"&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi

http://www.livrariascuritiba.com.br/product.aspx?idProduct=AV037878&iddept=2855

BaseCD%5C7894770006309%5Ccapa.jpg

Lenny Dee, an organist, covered "top of the world" and "goodbye to love"...

-- Dave

Pianist Stan Whitmire put out an album that is essentially a clone of Richard's PACC album, but it does have some good selections on it:

CD_Carpenters.jpg

1. Close To You

2. We've Only Just Begun

3. Superstar

4. For All We Know

5. I Won't Last A Day Without You

6. Rainy Days And Mondays

7. I Need To Be In Love

8. Yesterday Once More

9. Solitaire

10. This Masquerade

11. Hurting Each Other

12. Goodbye To Love

Here is a link to a playlist of the album tracks from YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6xvgOj3xoIEi4sRzoOWmLpsCywC0Un1Z

One of my favorites, Jim Brickman (New Age artist/pianist), did a tribute CD to the Carpenters in 2011:
Yesterday Once More: A Tribute to the Music of The Carpenters.
  1. We've Only Just Begun
  2. Yesterday Once More
  3. (They Long to Be) Close to You
  4. A Song for You
  5. Sing
  6. For All We Know
  7. Rainy Days and Mondays
  8. Superstar
  9. I Won't Last a Day Without You
  10. Ticket to Ride
  11. I Need to Be in Love
  12. Bless the Beasts and the Children
Brickman also wrote and produced a tribute show performed throughout the United States in 2012. I saw the show in St. Petersburg, FL and wrote commentary at this site (http://amcorner.com/forum/threads/j...terday-once-more-live-show.11915/#post-110569). To sum up, I definitely enjoyed the show. Brickman is clearly a fan of the Carpenters! He and Richard seem to have much in common musically.

Although they were spread across multiple albums, Andy Williams recorded almost enough Carpenters songs to make a tribute album (7). Throw in "Solitaire" which they covered from him and two songs they both covered from other artists ("Desperado" and "Breaking Up Is Hard To Do") you have a theoretical Andy Williams Sings The Carpenters album.

1. (They Long To Be) Close To You (from The Andy Williams Show)
2. We've Only Just Begun (from Love Story)
3. Rainy Days And Mondays (from You've Got A Friend)
4. For All We Know (from You've Got A Friend)
5. A Song For You (from You've Got A Friend)
6. Hurting Each Other (from Love Theme from "The Godfather")
7. I Won't Last A Day Without You (from The Way We Were)
8. Solitaire (from Solitaire)
9. Desperado (from I Don't Remember Ever Growing Up)
10. Breaking Up Is Hard To Do (from I Don't Remember Ever Growing Up)

For Carpenters/Barry Manilow fans to hear him sing "(They Long To Be) Close to You" (The Greatest Songs of the Seventies) and "We've Only Just Begun" (The Greatest Love Songs of All Time) is wonderful. If you do not own Barry's albums, you can enjoy both of them on Spotify.

ps Let's not forget "Can't Smile Without You" and "Tryin' To Get The Feeling Again"!

I just heard Whitney Houston's version of "A Song For You" (2009). I will always love Whitney, but Natalie Cole's version is so much better. BUT, Karen's vocals outshine both. Richard's arrangement was flawless.

I just heard Whitney Houston's version of "A Song For You" (2009). I will always love Whitney, but Natalie Cole's version is so much better. BUT, Karen's vocals outshine both. Richard's arrangement was flawless.

I've heard so many versions of this song from Natalie Cole to Mick Hucknall and none of them can top the Carpenters' version. Richard did the definitive arrangement of it and Karen's lead is flawless. Should have been a single, whatever the concerns were about it being too long for radio.

OK, there were a couple Lenny Dee covers of songs, not necessarily Carpenters-written, but they are: "Superstar" and a "Sing", w/ an adult choir, as opposed to the children's choir Karen & Richard used... (You, know: "La, la, la, la-la", etc. --Oh, I can STILL imitate those kids!)

-- Dave

OK, there were a couple Lenny Dee covers of songs, not necessarily Carpenters-written, but they are: "Superstar" and a "Sing", w/ an adult choir, as opposed to the children's choir Karen & Richard used... (You, know: "La, la, la, la-la", etc. --Oh, I can STILL imitate those kids!)

-- Dave

Oh, yes, the latter is followed up with "Danny's Song" (the Lenny Dee album that those two songs are featured on tries to squeeze all 10 songs in the title)...

But, I forgot an "official" Richard Carpenter-John Bettis number that Lenny Dee DOES do: "Goodbye To Love" (gotta play this one soon, as I think organist Lenny cuts a mighty fine solo on his Hammond B in place of the late-Tony Peluso's heavy-weight guitar!)...!

-- Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom