Open request for ANTHOLOGY LP information

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
Member CloseToYou10 has brought to our attention the fact that the Japanese 4-LP ANTHOLOGY (red cover)
th_545044432_Carpenters_Anthology_476360_122_91lo.jpg

was released in 1985. While we've confirmed that fact, we need to nail down some facts regarding the actual mixes contained on those LPs. In another thread, CloseToYou10 writes:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. A Song For You
This remix also appeared on the 1987 Japanese "Treasures" 2-CD set. Having believed that Anthology was from 1989 it was assumed that "Treasures" is where this remix first appeared and has been listed everywhere including the CRR list as a 1987 Remix. However, its first appearance was on the Anthology set in 1985, so this remix should be listed as a 1985 remix. It should also be noted that in this mix the line "I've acted out my love in stages" is a different take from the original mix. In the remix Karen uses vibrato on the word "love" where she does not in the original mix. This is not mentioned on the CRR list.

2. (They Long To Be) Close To You
This "middle length edit" which features the piano segue into Ave Maria is listed in other sources as a 1989 remix because its only appearance is on the Anthology set which was mistakenly believed to be issued in 1989. It is, however, from 1985. The CRR does not give any date on this edit, just that it appears on Anthology (89) which should be Anthology (85).

3. Goodbye To Love
This is listed on the CRR as a "1989 remix with audible count-in and long breath", appearing on both the 1991 From The Top boxed set and the Anthology (89) set. Again, this was assumed to be a 1989 remix because of the mistaken date regarding Anthology. It is, however, the same remix as the 1985 remix only it includes the audible count-in and long breath at the beginning. Richard's liner notes on From The Top also confirm that this remix was done in 1985 (see photo below):

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Given the number of times that Carpenters releases have come out in re-release form with different / updated mixes, I'm hesitant to change our Carpenters Recording Resource (CRR) database without confirmation.

My gut reaction is that while ANTHOLOGY may have been released in 1985, it's not likely to have included these later mixes, when in fact, the same year saw YESTERDAY ONCE MORE released in the US.

That release didn't have "A Song For You" on it. "Close To You" didn't need to segue to anything as it was the last track, and "Goodbye To Love" could indeed be the same basic track without the count-in and breath at the start. Richard says in the FROM THE TOP notes that "Additional recording and remix done in 1985", and I interpret the "additional" to mean the bulk of the track, not the count-in part.

Anyway, what I need is for any of our members who may have this LP to listen and confirm, or find a way to allow me to hear these for myself, dubbed straight from the vinyl.

We're striving to make the Carpenters Recording Resource as accurate as possible. Thanks for your help.

Harry

I have "Anthology" from Japan vinyl version in front of me now. It was released in 1985. "A Song For You" was remixed specifically for this album. I purchased mine directly from A&M's international dept. in 1985.
The count-in from "Goodbye to Love" made its first appearance on this album, as well as the Riviera 'live' medley from 1974. "Close to You" and "Ave Maria" are conjoined on this album, and were mixed together specifically for this release. As most of you know, "Honolulu City Lights" also made its debut on this album.

The boxed set vinyl is numbered on the back. My copy is: F 131136. I have no idea how many were pressed. There is a round promotional hole punched in the bottom left of the back cover.

Sideline info:

The lady who sold me these albums was fired by A&M a few months later for selling promotional copies of Japanese Carpenters imports out of her office at A&M. I remember she charged me $60.00 for this album, plus $50.o0 for the vinyl version of "Live In Japan" (reissue and not a promo). I had no idea she was doing anything illegal, but I remember thinking the price was awfully high. Anyway, she was fired not longer after I got my copies.

Hope this helps.

Can you confirm if it's all identical with what appeared on CD in 1989?

Unfortunately, the CD with the Bacharach medley was stolen in the mid '90's, so I can't check that one. I was DJ'ing a party, and one of my CD books disappeared. That CD was in it. I can check the other two CDs, though.

Thanks. Appreciate it. None of the three main tracks in question are on that fourth disc.

Harry

The Japanese Anthology came out around March 1985,and it's release coincided with the US release of "Yesterday Once More".The "A Song For You" remix was definitely on the Japanese set.I think Richard considered including the "A Song For You" remix on the US "Yesterday Once More" set-along with "Solitaire",but due to the LP space limitations,it would've been either those two or "Calling Occupants"-and I guess Richard ultimately chose "Occupants"(clocking in at over 7 minutes).

I remember seeing an open(unwrapped) copy of the Japanese Anthology(LP) at Tower Records around 1987,and it had a full-color 8x10(or maybe 7x9) pic on each of the four LP jackets,and one of the photos was the original pic from Karen's solo session(where she's curled-up on the couch in the white sweatsuit).This photo has never been available anywhere,in full color-and they weren't included on the CD version.If anyone happens to see a copy of the LP 4-record set,it would be worth the price just for the pic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom