New Rita Coolidge Bio Due In 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr J.

Rita Coolidge has just signed a deal with HarperCollins for an autobiography-which is due for release in 2015.

Inside information on one of my fetish nexus in pop music - the Leon Russell/Delaney and Bonnie/Joe Cocker network with all its tentacles. I recently read that the coda to Eric Clapton's Layla (credited to Rita's one-time boyfriend Jim Gordon), was actually written by Rita, who later gave the song to her sister Priscilla, who recorded with Booker T as "Time", on their album Booker T. & Priscilla. Should be an interesting story.

Inside information on one of my fetish nexus in pop music - the Leon Russell/Delaney and Bonnie/Joe Cocker network with all its tentacles. I recently read that the coda to Eric Clapton's Layla (credited to Rita's one-time boyfriend Jim Gordon), was actually written by Rita, who later gave the song to her sister Priscilla, who recorded with Booker T as "Time", on their album Booker T. & Priscilla. Should be an interesting story.
I always thought that instrumental section was the best part of the record.

I always thought that instrumental section was the best part of the record.

Me, too, actually! The rest of the song is still great, too, don't get me wrong, but that instrumental coda is just so beautiful, it really elevates the record to a whole new level. I wouldn't enjoy that song nearly as much without that coda on there. I've actually read that same claim in more than one book, too, that Rita was the one who actually came up with that coda, so I'd love to hear her own comments on that. It's really unfortunate she didn't actually get a writing credit on the song.

From what little I've read about her, it sounds like she's had a really fascinating life, so I'm particularly curious to read this one. She is one incredibly underrated singer, too. I think "(Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher" is technically her biggest hit, but I'm most fond of "I'd Rather Leave While I'm in Love" and "We're All Alone." They're both beautiful songs to begin with, but her vocal performances on them just wow me every single time I hear them.

A lot of points of interests, and mine would be her marriage to Kris Kristofferson, sprouting her one child, daughter Casey, and recording a few albums together, as well...

-- Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom