new question for randy badazz

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob

hi randy how you been doing? question back in the 70's there were two old tjb albums released in quadraphonic on 8 track only whipped cream & other delights and greatest hits. I never heard any tjb material in quad, I would like to see the other tjb releases with the new 5.1 surround dts digital surround which I have passion dance. are the titles listed about Whipped cream and greatest hits the first one with the orange cover ever be remixed and released in 5.1 audio and maybe the rest of the old catalog?. becasue I for one would buy them.or if any of the other members here on the corner would add there imput as well.or would a 5.1 surround receiver decode that and set it at pro logic 2 music.
take care
bob

WhippedQuad8.jpg

GreatestHitsQuad8.jpg

Bob, you need to sleep more and dream less! :wink: Two major reasons that this will not happen: insufficient demand for such a product and technology. If only Pro-Tools existed in the days of the TJB, it would be great! Each instrument having its own track would allow unlimited re-mixes, however reality is that they didn't have very many tracks to work with back then. Any type of surround sound now from the oldies probably would not give you the sonic immersion that you want.

thanks steve for the answer I thought since they did the remastering of whipped cream back in 2005,I though they might of did a 5.1 mix but I guess not, thanks for the anseer
bob

Randy addressed this a few years ago. As Steve mentioned there simply isn't a market for that to happen. Outside of we die-hard TJB fans who else would really pay for SACD's?

Capt. Bacardi

thanks captain yeah your right, thanks for answering I hear rumors those SACDs have the 5.1 mix? I remember seeing them at Best buy a number of years ago.
thanks again captian
bob

There can't be true quad (4-channel) mixes of early TJB albums since Gold Star only had three-track recorders back then. "A Taste of Honey" was in fact bounced from one 3-track to another to get more tracks for overdubbing--a common practice back then, as multitrack recorders (4, 8 or more tracks) did not yet exist. 3-tracks were usually mixed to mono, or in stereo, the tracks were left/center/right.

RCA also did this. Their early Living Stereo albums were recorded with two mics, but it was soon found they could get a more stable image by using three mics--left, center and right. When BMG reissued some of these classical albums on SACD, they used the left, center and right as a multichannel program on the SACD, with the stereo mix as the stereo section. The only correct way to listen to these in multichannel is with three exactly identical front speakers; a compromise would be a voice-matched center channel in the same series.

Surround sound in music is pretty much dead anyway--quad flopped, and there was little mass market interest in it during the 2000s. DVD-Audio died. SACD lives on, but surround titles are now few and far between. SACD is the superior digital format (I won't go into technical specs, other than to say DSD digital was created as an archival storage system).

A lot of us would be happier to see some new TJB vinyl reissues, even if for the most popular titles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom