New Karen Documentary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicko

A new documentary called "the Last Days of Karen Carpenter" is being filmed by ITV in London to shown on Channel 5 UK in the fall, it features Lucy Drive as Karen and the top British pathologist Dr Richard Shephard.

The documentary is primarily about Eating disorders and this one focuses on Karen.

Link to Lucy's website

www.lucydrive.co.uk

Look under the NEWS tab.

Thanks for that information.
Interest in Karen has certainly not abated!
Hopefully, it is tastefully and accurately depicted.
On a related note:
Worrying number of Danes struggle with eating disorders
http://cphpost.dk/news/worrying-number-of-danes-struggle-with-eating-disorders.9879.html
Charlotte Fischer, director of the Danish regions psychiatry and social network, told Politikken that people with eating disorders do not receive enough help.
“It is scary that so many people suffer from eating disorders, and that more and more are getting sick. We have to implement preventative measures.”

Much of the basis and timeline for this is coming from my friend Randy Schmidt's book Little Girl Blue: The Life of Karen Carpenter. Randy will be (to some extent) involved. I'm going to ask him to pop in over here and fill everyone in.

Thanks for the information, Nicko!

Channel 5 has a reputation here for being a rather tabloid and sensationalist channel, but some of their documentaries are actually very good.

The one they broadcast on the last days of Whitney Houston was really well done and very informative. I hope this it to the same standard.

I watched a bit of the BBC:Close To You Documentary(2002?), and (not having seen this documentary previously)
was astonished to hear Richard Carpenters say that-- 'Karen could have put her foot down and said " put it out"'---
in reference to the solo album. Itchie Ramone states that Karen loved the album.
Now, last night I pulled out an old VHS-tape with the (I believe) 1996 BBC Documentary:Yesterday Once More
(a blonde girl reads snippets of the Fan Club Newsletters throughout).
Herb Alpert states that he believes Karen was not happy with the album, thus, it was shelved.
My intent is not to dwell on the solo LP per se, but simply to point out that each documentary presented to the public
does contain new, or changed, perspectives regarding different facets of Carpenters, their career and personal lives.
It is apparent that everyone loved Karen;
Herb Alpert(1996):"I really loved her."
John Denver stated(1996) :"I wish I could have been a better friend."
Burt Bacharach(1996): "Karen's inner torment must have been devilish--when you think about it".
The Documentary from BBC 1996 had a few eye-openers, that I had not remembered. (i.e., Agnes recounts the 4th Feb 1983).
The doc was followed by Live in London(1976)----and, Karen delivered a reading of From This Moment On
and I Need To Be In Love which brought me to tears (honestly).
Never been much of a fan of From This Moment On--but, in this concert she does a stunning interpretation.
Live in London,
is quite a good show.
Ultimately, I was reduced to tears.

I paraphrased the quote from Burt Bacharach, above, I think he actually used the word "wicked", not "devilish".

Oops..so sorry, Wideawakeat4am. (As, I realized at once that my previous post was off-topic).
I had searched for a specific forum entry for the previous BBC Documentary and was unable to
find the exact information that I was hunting for, and thus, placed the ensuing information in my posting above.

Perhaps the only relevance would be that a new documentary is a most welcome addition to the extant
material already in circulation, and one hopes for even more clarification on so many questions.
Or, at least, questions that I have entertained as I go through my previous VHS tapes.
Thanks for the indulgence, though!

I wonder as this documentary is being made by ITV whether we shall see new footage from Bruce's big night as this show apparently resides in their archive?

How can we access the program in USA? Does it stream er sumpthin?
Sounds dark, creepy and macabre. The title alone makes my stomach turn and skin crawl. Still my interest is peaked and at some point I have to imbibe...after all, I am hopelessly devoted...

Newsflash

Www.channel5.com

Will stream with adobe flash player at some point.

Okey dokey, this is gonna be an interesting review. I hope it's dignified.

A Radio Times write-up has been published here.

"Dr Richard Shepherd investigates the death of the singer and drummer Karen Carpenter in February 1983, with the cause of death heart failure as a consequence of anorexia nervosa. Armed with the post-mortem report, Dr Shepherd goes back over the last few weeks of her life to try to unravel what happened, and uncovers stories of emetics, bulimia, heart problems, sedatives, massive weight loss, force-feeding and stays in hospital. With contributions by close friends, a psychologist and others who knew her."

I wonder which of her close friends are involved in this? Names that spring to mind include Debbie/Theresa/Carl Vaiuso, Itchy Ramone, cousin Joan Pennisi, Christina Ferrare, Dorothy Hamill...

Well, most fans know that weight loss, force feeding and hospital stays were NOT happening in the last weeks of Karen's life. I hope this thing is accurate.

Well, most fans know that weight loss, force feeding and hospital stays were NOT happening in the last weeks of Karen's life. I hope this thing is accurate.

These events weren't far that far off though. Karen was in hospital being force fed up until November 1982 and died February 1983 and it's well documented she was having heart episodes during this time. It's only a period of 12 weeks or so between her leaving hospital and passing away. From what I've read and other episodes I've seen, I'm confident they will have done their research properly and they're usually filmed professionally and sensitively, rather than in a sensational 'tabloid' way. The mention of emetics also suggests that the guy armed with her post-mortem report is also in receipt of the long-lost document which proved she'd poisoned herself with ipecac, so I'm interested to see what he's got to say.

Craaaaazy that wave of sudden grief dredged by topic. As tho I've just learned of tragedy. The title coupled with post mortem ugh. Having viewed Karen's autopsy report long ago ( online) in my quest for understanding makes it all so real again. I don't know if denial or time has helped shield but GD when it manifests it's still intense. Found out years ago drinking n druggin is an all too temporary fix. Nowadays it's all about suck it up and feel it. Put on the big boy pants I've not been promised nirvana F### knows!

Jeff

This series is currently airing in the US on the REELZ channel. I've seen 3 so far; last days of Whitney Houston, Michael Jackson and Anna Nicole Smith. They didn't seem sensationalistic to me. Each episode has been the same; the British doctor dissects the autopy report and actors set up various scenes, with interviews from individuals as well - similar to the HBO series Autopsy hosted by Dr. Michael Braden. I'm hoping the KC one airs here as well.

Here's the Whitney Houston episode if any of you want to get a flavour for what it will probably be like. I watched it a while back and found it to be very balanced and informative (if you like the subject matter of course). The pathologist featured is the same one that will be in the Karen Carpenter episode.

A lot of people forget that Karen was on hyperalimentation (IV) for a number of weeks, and then she was slowly eased off the IV as she increased her consumption of food. She was eating three meals a day with no IV by the time she was released, as reported by Steven Levenkron in 'People' magazine in November, 1983.

It will be interesting to see if they cover that information in the documentary. Of course, 'Entertainment Tonight' and other shows love to report that she died at 80 pounds, which is such crap. I hope this show did its homework, and that she is treated fairly.

Of course, 'Entertainment Tonight' and other shows love to report that she died at 80 pounds, which is such crap. I hope this show does a better job of doing its homework.

The pathologist will surely note the fact that she was 108lbs when she died, which is what her autopsy report stated. This series is to me sensible viewing, I'm sure it won't be sensationalist. I'm just curious as to what footage we might see in high quality, such as the 1983 Grammy Alumni appearance for example? In the episodes of Michael Jackson and Whitney Houston, they seem to have gone through the archives when telling the story.

I watched the Whitney Houston episode tonight, as well. It was very well done. I'm also hoping they dig into the archives from the years preceding Karen's passing. I'll bet we will see at least some '81 U.K. stuff that will be 'new' to most of us. They appeared on a number of shows during their U.K. and Rio promotional visits.

Regarding the Grammy appearance in January of '83:

I know that E.T. had the footage well after Karen's passing. I would assume they hung onto it once she passed, but it was never used again for any of their reports. So I don't know if the raw footage exists. I'd assume the episode that featured it does still exist in their archives. There's another version of it that also aired the week of the awards in late February, which showed Karen in the background getting ready for the shot. But it's very quick, and at one point her back is turned to the camera.

I bid on the 1983 Grammy poster that Carpenters and all the other artists signed that night. It sold for $400.00, and I was outbid at the last possible second on E-bay. The lady had three of them at one point, and was down to the last of them. A good friend of hers (now retired) was the official photographer who was hired that night to take still photographs. I asked her if she would check with him to see if he still had the negatives. Unbelievable as it sounds, he didn't save them!!

Last edited:
There was an interview with Karens boyfriend John Adrian on UK breakfast TV yesterday morning, I wish I new how to upload it from an IPad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom