• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Name of group that sampled TJB 'Summertime'

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazzdre

I always try to keep my promises, no matter how small they are. Remember when I left a message in the discussion board about Herb's 'Summertime' album, and I told you all that there was a group that I heard on a 'chill' radio program that sampled the first few bars of Summertime, with John Pisano's guitar, and that I would eventually get their name?

Well, I got it!(their name that is). The name of the group is called MO HORIZONS, and the name of the tune that they sampled 'Summertime' for is called "Ba-rhumba". Not only do they sample John's guitar strumming, but they have also sampled Herb and Lani's scatting as well! It sounds OK, but there's definitely nothing as good as the original.

I actually know of that group and album and posted about it back in 2001, but that was on our other forum software so it's currently lost in the wilds of Rudy's old forum backup!

In late 2001, we were on vacation and walking around in a little open-air marketplace near Cairns, Australia, and as I passed by a stand selling jewelry or some such, I heard the familiar strains of Lani Hall and Herb harmonizing on "Love Song". But the song went into some kind of funky direction and wasn't Lani's song at all. Fascinated, i asked the owner of that stand if she knew what the music was, hoping it was a tape or CD rather than radio. Sure enough, she said it was her favorite album by a group called Mo Horizons.

Jotting down the details and saving it for future reference, we continued on our vacation down-under. Somewhere else in Australia, I found the disc in a little record shop and bought it. And I was surprised to find not just one sampling of Lani, but two or three of both she and Herb. The album is called COME TOUCH THE SUN. There's a 1999 version at Amazon that's out-of-print but they also have the mp3's for sale and available to sample:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00001WRKY

The same title is also listed as a 2007 unavailable import. I can only assume that it was a re-release, but you never know with some of these techno-dance kind of albums.

You can hear Herb/Lani on both "Bar Rumba" and "Prince Charles Latest Affair". It seems to me there's at lest one other, but I'm away from the collection at the moment.

Harry

Hey Harry,

Man, do you know your music! Thanks a lot for the information about this group, and it seems that they are big Herb and Lani fans, having sampled them for different songs. I am going to go to Amazon, just as you suggested to check out the song sample.

Again, thanks for the info, and a Happy New Year!

Yep, Harry (and many others here) is an amzingly music resource. Part of why I enjoy these boards so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom