Made in America Recording Session

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

Forgive me if this was talked about before but I heard Richard gave an interview back in 1981 that he and Karen recorded over 20 songs for Made in America. We have 10 that appeared on the album. Were there really over 10 more songs they recorded?

I can think of these noted as being recorded:

1. The Uninvited Guest
2. Kiss Me The Way You Did Last Night

Make believe it's your first time, Two lives, At the end of a song, Prime time love, Your baby doesn't love you anymore... The rainbow connection... that leaves one to make at least 20?

Are you sure he hasn't said "LIKE 20 songs" instead of "over 20 songs"?

Remember that in that list of buried treasure, there are quite a few more songs with a '1980' tag, including tracks like 'I Don't Want My Arms Around You'. I'm sure they did record at least 20 songs or at least backing tracks during those sessions.

I believe he said they recorded a total of 29 songs in the interview with Ray Moore. He also mentioned that he and Karen had recorded four songs with a full orchestra 3 days prior to Karen's wedding, including 'The Wedding Song (Because We Are in Love)" and "Somebody's Been Lyin'".

Not sure what the other two were, but I would guess "Kiss Me The Way Last Night" was one of them. I believe that's the case because he mentioned two others that 'are going to be on the next album'.

Yeah I thought it was more than 20. If it's closer to 30 then wouldn't there be alot of songs that have still not been released?

It doesn't suprise me that there were so many, it had been so long since they were back in the recording studio (at least for Richard) and having them both back together they probably had so much they wanted to record. Still it always suprised me that MIA only contained 10 tracks, why so few when they recorded so many more? The tracks that appeared on MIA...were they the best of the best?

That's a good question, Chris. Would be interesting to know. I'm sure there are others that are great. The Carpenters always recorded good tunes, but maybe Richard or Karen weren't thrilled by them. I know we would be. :wink:
Bob.

That would mean there are still 13 songs yet to be released from those sessions! Wow....not sure how many of them had lead vocals, but I would assume most of them did because they always started with bass, piano, drums and Karen's work leads.

I remember from the Carpenters Fan Club Newsletter sent out at the time of release that said something like many more songs were recorded for Made In America and some would be applied to the next album. Would love to raid the vault and hear everything, but that's me.

Actually, Made in America only had 9 songs from those sessions. I Believe You was from 1978 and appeared on an LP (in either 1978 or 79) which was released in Asia - an A&M hits compilation by various artists (the cover had a few artists featured, and K&R were one of them). And that song was also on the 1979 Asia only release of a greatest hits package known as Carpenters Classics.

Good point! I didn't think of that. So that makes 14 tunes that have yet to see the light of day from the 1980/1981 sessions.
"I Believe You" came out in the fall of 1978, and, of course, the album for which it was recorded didn't materialize. So it was actually 3 1/2 years old when it finally came out on MIA.

aaflyer98 said:
I remember from the Carpenters Fan Club Newsletter sent out at the time of release that said something like many more songs were recorded for Made In America and some would be applied to the next album. Would love to raid the vault and hear everything, but that's me.

Patrick, you are right, you have a good memory. I have all the newsletters in a word doc, wow it's 116 pages a quick find and here it is: (sorry don't feel like splitting it into paragraph's)

NEWSLETTER #70 - June, 1981

Hi Friends! It's here! The Carpenters new album "Made In America" has been released worldwide (just in time for American Independence Day!). Having spent months and months working relentlessly to achieve perfection, the end result is awesome. When you hear the pure magic of this vintage Carpenter package, you will be astound by the musical growth of these brilliant artists. The first single "Touch Me When We're Dancing" has already made it's debut on many radio stations across the country, including every Adult Contemporary outlet, with very positive reaction. It has also surfaced on the International charts. The song was written and previously recorded by a group of studio musicians known as "Bama" at Muscle Shoals studios in Alabama. The flip side features the moving song Richard and John Bettis created for Karen's wedding "Because We Are In Love". Undoubtedly this is destined to join We've Only Just Begun" in the prestigious rank of classics! Several A & M record Company's affiliates outside the United States have made various choices for their first single release. Brazil chose "Back In My Life Again". England stayed with "Touch Me When We're Dancing", Europe went with "Those Good Old Dreams" while Japan opted for "Beachwood 4-5789". A11 are gaining ground rapidly on the charts. Both Richard and Karen have very positive vibes about their latest "offering" and feel it is their best output yet. Who would have thought it possible for them to improve! The album delay was due to several factors. A - problem with monitor and tape machine during recording at A & M. B - problem with computer board and interlocking device for the dual 24 track tape machine during mix-down. C - unsatisfactory test pressings. The quality of vinyl has steadily declined since the first "energy crisis". Richard had to turn down three test pressings from various plants due to unacceptable surface noise and "pops". According to Richard the pressings he finally approved are "as good if not better than other popularly priced albums, but not as quiet as albums used to be". Richard continues "many people in the recording are aware of this, problem and are trying to do something to correct it". Being an incurable perfectionist and conscientious producer, he will not rest until he achieves the result he is completely satisfied with. Richard's arrangements overall and Karen's vocals are indescribable. Pure perfection Peter Knight orchestrated the wedding song, and the Burt Bacharach/Carole Barer Sager numb "Somebody's Been Yin'". Many more songs were recorded during these past months, some of which will be applied to the next album. Our duo had difficulty making their choice for this album, but I'm sure you will all an prove of their final decision. Richard feels the follow-up singles will probably be "Those Good Old Dream" he and John wrote, "Beechwood 4-5789", "Back In My Life Again" or "Strength Of A Woman". However this could be determined by radio and fan reaction. I'm sure all American fans are delighted with the title "Made In America", and may be interested to hear how it was conceived. Richard had the idea in the back of his mind for some time, but he confirmed same the day Karen arrived at the studio wearing a running suit with "Made In America" printed all over the designed fabric. This could prove to be a great omen for our export trade! The portrait type artwork of the album sleeve is indeed a work of art. It was designed and illustrated respectively by Lynn Robb and David Willardson, under the direction of Chuck Beeson and Jeff Ayeroff in the A & M graphics department. The photo on the inner sleeve was taken by John Engatead. The lyrics also embrace the inner sleeve. A & M Records in Hollywood are celebrating their top drawer artists eleventh USA album, and twelfth year with the label. A party of two hundred guests will be hosted by Herb Alpert to honor Richard and Karen on 29th. June. Tom and Karen have just returned from a brief vacation in Mexico with a deep tan they inherited from an exciting fishing trip. Fishing is a favorite pastime of Tom's, but as Karen had no previous experience at the art, you can imagine her excitement when she landed two enormous marlins almost twice her weight! Richard hopes to Have some time to vacation now, prior to work on next album, and the taping of an ABC Special they are committed to fulfill later thin year. Right now they are being deluged with interviews with radio personalities, journalists etc. and have several promotional films to make for overseas, as well as in-store promotional tapes for USA music outlets, which include five tracks from the new album. This is an appropriate time to advise you we now have the latest "Made in America" sets of pictures available through the fan club. The usual format - a single and double pose of Richard and Karen in color and black and white. Regretfully, since the last newsletter the USA postal rates have risen sharply, which means the black and white glossies must be increased to XX.XX each to cover cost of mailing. These are delightful poses guaranteed to please collectors of Carpenter memorabilia. The entire Carpenter outfit extends congratulations to all graduates, and wish you well in your chosen fields. Our duo have put their hearts and souls into this new album. and their reward will be the pleasure we will surely derive from it, so once again Happy Listening! Have a very happy summer, and drive safely. Until next time, God Bless, Rosina.

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
NEWSLETTER #70 - June, 1981

England stayed with "Touch Me When We're Dancing", Europe went with "Those Good Old Dreams" while Japan opted for "Beachwood 4-5789".

England was not Europe in 1981??????? Lol!!!!!!!

I would love to have a sequential list of EVERY recording and then mix and match my "own" albums accordingly. I'm sure I could fit a mini 1978 then KC solo including unreleased, then Music M Music and into MIA. Plus the HUSH outtakes and so on. I'd like to start Karen Magic Lamp or the early RCA if it exists then the first Ticket session recording and continue my lps thru NOW. What I don't need is another compilation. An ATGBy the sequel would work well no matter how unpopular. Anyway given what I have access to I think I'll do my best to compile a chronological set list just for $#!^s n giggles. I understand RC's reluctance to release more material however I believe being his own worst critic he is stifling the demand for additional output. We on the other hand relish the flawless work leads that crop up from time to time. This buried treasure on the other hand is like beating a dead horse. However I'd like to think that continued interest and requests could facilitate those offerings. I'm routinely frustrated by this whole business. Elvis, Judy, Billy Holiday all have music out there that could be considered sub-par and the buying public doesn't necessarily generate outstanding sales there so that concern or argument bugs me. It somewhat galls me to think that we may have to wait for RC's passing before the powers that be can create this request.

Oh well...kinda sounds like I'm an over-zealous C's fanatic or else I have a burr up ..... today. When actually I'm just pining for that which has given me great solace, pleasure, sanctity and wonder for what is now 40 plus years.

Jeff

Wow....well said, Jeff! And I agree wholeheartedly. :wink:

Richard could EASILY release a stripped down version of Carpenters classics, or, better yet, release a 2 CD set of alternate takes of their hits and album tracks. We all know they exist. I'd be surprised if they didn't exist for all their tunes, as the Carpenters were such perfectionists.

Yes, that's true. But we know there are two other versions of "Close to You" that never saw the light of day. And the apparently recorded 'Goodbye to Love' over 200 times before they got it right. Richard talks about that in a 1974 interview.
The Beatles would do 80 or 90 takes on certain songs.

djn said:
Anyway given what I have access to I think I'll do my best to compile a chronological set list just for ##### n giggles.

My chronological playlist for personal listening goes like this, first A thing for Karen Carpenter, then Richard's solo albums (minus reprised songs and tracks featuring other vocalists), then:

22 - Now;
23 - You're enough;
24 - Because we are in love;
25 - Beechwood 45789;
26 - When it's gone
27 - Touch me when we're dancing;
28 - Somebody's been lyin';
29 - When you've got what it takes;
30 - Back in my life;
31 - Strength of a woman;
32 - Those good old dreams;
33 - Touch me when we're dancing (SACD center channel only version);
34 - Kiss me the way you did last night;
35 - The uninvited guest;
36 - Your baby doesn't love you anymore;
37 - Prime time love;
38 - At the end of a song;
39 - Two lives;
40 - Make believe it's your first time;
41 - The rainbow connection;
42 - 1980 medley;
43 - Karen-Ella medley;
44 - You're just in love;
45 - Dizzy fingers;
46 - I got rhythm;
47 - Without a song;
48 - From this moment on;
49 - Still crazy after all these years (Richard's remix);
50 - Guess I just lost my head;
51 - Make believe it's your first time;
52 - My body keeps changing my mind (Richard's remix);
53 - Still in love with you;
54 - Remember when lovin' took all night;
55 - If we try;
56 - Making love in the afternoon;
57 - If I had you;
58 - If I had you (Richard's remix);
59 - All because of you;
60 - Lovelines;
61 - Last one singin' the blues;
62 - It's really you;
63 - Truly you;
64 - I do it for your love;
65 - Jimmy Mack;
66 - Midnight;
67 - Keep my lovelight burning;
68 - Something missing;
69 - Don't try to win me back again;
70 - Love making love to you;

Then the Christmas stuff and so on.

This issue about the "Made In America" sessions has been discussed several times .To my understanding,there were about 25 tracks recorded for MIA from May-November,1980.I believe this information came from a Billboard article in 1981.
Somebody mentioned above about four tracks being recorded with full orchestra-As far as I know,only two tracks were done with Peter knight(and orchestra)-"Because We Are In Love" and "Somebody's Been Lyin".I can say this much-If there were other tracks with full orchestra,Richard would have included them on "Voice Of The Heart".(Any tracks with full orchestra would be "prime" material-either standards or standard-style torch songs")
There were 17 of those tracks issued on four albums:
9-Made In America
5-Voice Of The Heart
2-Lovelines
1-As Time Goes By

There's probably about eight of those tracks left in the vault,and (keep dreaming!) they're never coming out.One of those is "The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress".If anyone is curious about that song,Linda Rondstadt subsequently recorded it on her 1982 "Get Closer" album.

I stand by my original statement. Richard said several tracks were done with orchestra and 'will be on the next album'. He said that on the Ray Moore interview from summer, 1981.

mr J. said:
There's probably about eight of those tracks left in the vault,and (keep dreaming!) they're never coming out.One of those is "The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress".If anyone is curious about that song,Linda Rondstadt subsequently recorded it on her 1982 "Get Closer" album.

Rumer has recorded that song too, I have it on my IPOD.

I Don't Need You was recorded during those MIA sessions but scrapped when Kenny Rogers beat them to the record store with his version.... I bet Karens version was beautiful....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom