LOVE SONGS is out-of-print

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr J.

It appears that Universal has deleted LOVE SONGS. This was a bestselling disc for more than a decade-hard to believe that it stopped selling.

Probably,LOVE SONGS slowed down after 40/40 came out.(40/40 is so definitive, it's going to be the compilation of choice for most people).

This is sad news indeed. I remember being so excited about this particular compilation for two reasons: (1) it starts off with "I Need to Be in Love," then "Solitaire" (two absolute favorites of mine, "unsung" heroes, if you will); and (2) it charted on Billboard's album charts (in the US) for several months.

The good news is their stuff is all still available on I-Tunes, but that's too bad it was deleted. Great compilation. I remember it got to #106 and was on the charts for a good six months during that time. The deletion might have less to do with overall sales of the album, and more to do with CDs going by the wayside at the retail level.

I can't see much of a future for that set, or it being in-print forever more... Like the 20th Century Universal Master-series, it's only a brief, "come-and-go" comp of what a lot of us have...

Even if it were a best-seller, it probably got to the point of everyone to have been interested in it, having already bought it, and then afterwards, it could no longer sell...

Just as I got on the 20th Century Universal Master-series bandwagon just for Pat Boone, I even had to settle for what only consisted of 12-songs [read: Re-Runs] Used... As well as 2nd-hand copies of a few other titles, such as one consisting of eighteen songs, touted as "Original Dot Recordings", etc.

I was just too late to get to get whatever "also-rans" simply didn't sell, whereas the bigger, better two-disc stuff, or more lasting one-disc sets continue to be manufactured over-seas...

So, to me, no surprise, and look out for something else "new", then us CarpenterphileS (there THAT a good icon?) will immediately need!

-- Dave

Last edited:
I loved that set. I thought it made it in the top 100 - but either way, it charted, it looked good, and I remember seeing it in plenty of record departments back when there were record departments... Probably the last time that logo was ever prevalent on a shelf at retail.... and it also featured Where Do I Go From Here, and You're the One, two of my favorite "post February 1983" releases...

Carpenters ICON anyone?

Harry

Yes, that's pretty much inevitable. There are already close to 200 different titles in this series and Universal keeps cranking them out. I'm kind of surprised there hasn't been one already given the scope of artists the series has covered so far. Hopefully it will have a better track listing than the 20th Century Masters Collection did. The most logical thing would be to just include their 12 Billboard Top 10s.

There is also a handful of Christmas Icon titles in the series. Given that Christmas is probably the time when Carpenters' music gets the most mainstream attention, that could be an interesting way to go. Pick the best 10 or so songs from Christmas Portrait and An Old Fashioned Christmas and include the single version of "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town" we have all been wanting on CD forever.

The recent version of the Love Songs CD that I've been seeing in stores is missing the Carpenters logo altogether now. What a shame. I guess they didn't want the expense of doing the silver foil logo anymore, but they could have at least printed the logo on there in regular ink. Now there's just a blank spot where it used to be. Here's a photo I took of it:

lovesongscdmissing.jpg

That is really weird.
Chris, was this at Barnes and Noble? It sorta looks like there tags. Did you take a pic of the back? I wonder if they altered the back cover? I bet Richard would be upset to see this, almost remind me of a bootleg. I mean with a cover like that might as well file it under various artists.

Have you seen more than one CD like this, Chris? It may have just been a printing error on that copy. The silver foil logo may be applied by a different printer and this one (or maybe a small batch) may have missed that step and nobody noticed before it went out the door. Normally, if they were going to stop the foil as a cost savings, they would replace it with a printed version. I honestly don't think removing the logo was an intentional change. That would go against the most basic of marketing principles.

See Chris....missed opportunity....this could be a collectors item (a one of a kind) :laugh: think ebay, never before seen....:laugh: could be a bidding war item. :D I bet if you go back to get it...it will be gone.

Yes, I saw this at Barnes & Noble and have since seen other copies like this at different stores as well. Probably just an error as Actorman said. I hope so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom