Lani's vocals, but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jww

I realize that the majority of the lead vocals are handled by Lani, but could any or all of you provide me with a listing of which songs up through the Stillness lp have lead vocals by Karen/Janis etc.? Some are duel leads, or trading verses and any insight into those would be helpful as well. JWW :tongue:

Off the top of my head, as I recall, all female vocals on HERB ALPERT PRESENTS were Lani. We learned that here from someone who asked Sergio that very question. I believe that we also decided pretty definitively that Janis sang the lead on "The Look Of Love." Gracinha sings lead on "Lapinha" and "Lost In Paradise" for sure. Karen took the lead on "For What It's Worth."

I'll let others fill in the rest.

Harry

Isn't there some conflicting info on Janis in regard to the first B'66 album? One person reported that Sergio said Lani double-tracked all vocals on the album; but I could've sworn someone else asked Sergio prior to that, and he said that Janis is the one who sings the first verse of "Agua De Beber."

:?:

- William

NP: "Herb Alpert Presents" Sergio & Brasil '66.

Listening and paying special attention to the female voices, I'm thinking it's very possible there are two different chanteuses at least on a few songs. (Maybe Janis is present for some songs and Lani overdubbed two parts on some others?)

Anyway, Lani is very obviously the singer who does the first bridge of "One Note Samba"--"there are so many people who can talk and talk and talk and say nothing," etc. Her voice has a very strong, solid, musical sound, with a very "opaque" center (as it were). Contrast this with the opening verse of "Agua De Beber." To me these two examples sound markedly different... the "Agua" voice is more nasal, more breathy, more "transparent," with a much less meaty central tone. In many respects this voice bears more similarities to the "Look Of Love" lead than to Lani, IMO. Although it could simply be Lani affecting a more cool-toned style, I wouldn't be surprised if it was Janis on "Agua."

The other thing that really stands out to me is "O Pato." On this one, I don't think it sounds like a double-tracked Lani at all. Listen closely to the second time they sing, "A voz do pato era mesmo um desacato / Trocou de sena, e a confusao era mato." (This occurs at about 1:33-1:38 on my Japanese CD.) The voice singing the first line is notably smaller, breathier, nasal-er, etc., than the voice singing the second line. It sounds like two people to me.

I can't make any "for sure" conclusions from the evidence presented, and I could simply be hearing what I want to hear... but I would appreciate it if I could get second or third opinions on "O Pato"--am I the only one who hears two different singers there?

- William

Although 35 years ago this month(!), I seem to remember that all the numbers from HAP were very much faithful to the LP's vocalization; O Pato ("The Duck!", as Sergio exclaimed, getting laughs from the audience, including me), Going Out Of My Head, Daytripper, Ma(i)s Que Nada, With A Little Help From My Friends and One Note Samba/Spanish Flea were the songs I vividly remember performed. Don't recall Agua De Beber though. That's not to say that Janis did or didn't perform on HAP, but as far as I'm concerned, she did. Has anyone ever asked her or can contact her on this?

And as for Look of Love, I believe I mentioned that She definitely was the lead singer for the 1967 (or '68?) Oscar Awards show. BTW, LOL lost to 'If I Could Talk to the Animals' from Dr. Doolittle if I remember correctly!!

Man, seeing Brasil '66 live is an experience I wish I could've had... :cry:

(Aside: Leslie Bricusse getting the Oscar for "Talk To The Animals" is one of the most ridiculously bad decisions the Academy ever made, IMO. Movies from 1967 gave us songs like "Look Of Love" (Bacharach), "Two For The Road" and "Wait Until Dark" (Mancini), "Who Needs Forever" and "The Eyes Of Love" (Quincy Jones), "Theme From Valley Of The Dolls" (Previn), "Down Here On The Ground" (Schifrin) and more. And they honestly thought that "Talk To The Animals" was better than any of those? :shock:

But we digress... :oops: )

As for contacting Janis about this, she's supposedly a talent agent in LA nowadays (according to the IMDb). This is her business card, though I think it goes without saying that she wouldn't appreciate being called by strangers about her long-past singing career.

businesscard.gif

- William

Man, seeing Brasil '66 live is an experience I wish I could've had...

If you had seen B66 live, it would mean you'd be an old geezer like me! Actually, I saw B66 three times: Aug. '67 Michigan State Fair, Oct/Nov '67 Oakland University (if I could just remember where I put that ticket stub,,,), and sometime in late '68 or '69 with Gen II B66 at the Fisher Theatre in Detroit. As I mentioned long ago, the State Fair gig was primarily HAP while Oakland University was Equinox. For some reason, can't remember the Fisher show very well (but I do have the program to prove I'm not imagining it).

Thanks for the tip on Janis: I wish I'd have known this last March when I was there for my brother's wedding and even walked up and down Hollywood Blvd!! It's really pretty seedy down , but I DID walk by the original Frederick's of Hollywood! May be there again in October, and will definitely try to look her up...and give her the picture I took of her and Lani maybe?? Probably have me arrested for stalking her for 35 years, though....

Leslie Bricusse getting the Oscar for "Talk To The Animals" is one of the most ridiculously bad decisions the Academy ever made

Oh, forgot to comment on this - you're absolutely right! I recall being stunned and outraged when this was announced. I will admit though, that the Newley/Bricusse duo have composed some memorable songs, although I can't seem to remember their titles right now...

Although I was 10 years old, I saw Brasil '66 at a jazz festival in Monterey, California back in '71. Needless to say, it made a definite impression on me. Interesting to note that Gracinha was there along with Lani and Karen. They opened the show with "Roda" (the hand claps...how I remember those hand claps!) From there, they went into "Stillness" and even sang a song or two from "Pais" (Lani sang lead on "Gone Forever"). The other "Pais" song, I believe, was "So Many People".

Brasil '66 was magical on stage. Lani sang with confidence, a cute smile playing across her lips. Karen, who was positioned between Lani and Gracinha, was all over the place, giggling and swinging her hips--same with Gracinha--a cute little thing, she really moved! She also performed "Lost In paradise."

Mother tells me that I wouldn't take my eyes off Karen...I was transfixed. "Any time they were on television," she says, "you'd stare and stare...same at the concert!" Must have made an impression...I still find it easy to look at Karen Philipp!!! :)

Jon...the "Brasil Nut"

William said:
NP: "Herb Alpert Presents" Sergio & Brasil '66.

Listening and paying special attention to the female voices, I'm thinking it's very possible there are two different chanteuses at least on a few songs. (Maybe Janis is present for some songs and Lani overdubbed two parts on some others?)

Anyway, Lani is very obviously the singer who does the first bridge of "One Note Samba"--"there are so many people who can talk and talk and talk and say nothing," etc. Her voice has a very strong, solid, musical sound, with a very "opaque" center (as it were). Contrast this with the opening verse of "Agua De Beber." To me these two examples sound markedly different... the "Agua" voice is more nasal, more breathy, more "transparent," with a much less meaty central tone. In many respects this voice bears more similarities to the "Look Of Love" lead than to Lani, IMO. Although it could simply be Lani affecting a more cool-toned style, I wouldn't be surprised if it was Janis on "Agua."

I can't make any "for sure" conclusions from the evidence presented, and I could simply be hearing what I want to hear... but I would appreciate it if I could get second or third opinions on "O Pato"--am I the only one who hears two different singers there?

- William

I remember hearing Conway Twitty talking about a recording he made probably 30 years or so ago...it featured his daughter singing a solo on the chorus, and for each verse, she had to sound older-first she was a little girl, then a teenager, and finally an adult. The method was simple...just slow down the tape...not enough to alter the tempo, but just enough to change the character of the voice. It worked beautifully!

Sergio has confirmed that Lani sang alone on HAP, and that even the other girl on the cover was a stand-in. The differences in the vocals that youhear are the results ofa very talented performer and an equally talented sound engineer. Tape speed and sound effects processing can work wonders...but there has to be a good voice there, as well. Lani worked very hard on HAP and doesn't always get the credit she deserves. The more I learn about her career, the more impressed I am with her!

Dan, who really does listen to [an learn from] Conway Twitty....

Brasil_66_Fan said:
I will admit though, that the Newley/Bricusse duo have composed some memorable songs, although I can't seem to remember their titles right now...
Well... "The Joker" springs immediately to mind for some reason. :wink: Another of my favorites is "Who Can I Turn To." Both were from a Broadway show I think.

Brasil_Nut said:
Mother tells me that I wouldn't take my eyes off Karen...I was transfixed. "Any time they were on television," she says, "you'd stare and stare...same at the concert!" Must have made an impression...I still find it easy to look at Karen Philipp!!! :)

Heck, all of Sergio's female singers have been easy on the eyes. Have you ever tried to find a copy of the September 1972 issue of Playboy? I have to admit I'm a little curious about Karen's appearance in that... :D

DAN BOLTON said:
Sergio has confirmed that Lani sang alone on HAP, and that even the other girl on the cover was a stand-in.

Bibi Vogel, as I recall. But... like I said, Sergio also "confirmed" that Janis is singing on "Agua De Beber"--we don't know which account is accurate at this time.

DAN BOLTON said:
The differences in the vocals that you hear are the results of a very talented performer and an equally talented sound engineer. Tape speed and sound effects processing can work wonders...

But why would they use tape speed effects or special processing for one line of that song? I don't think there was a conscious effort going on to make it sound like Janis was present on the album. I mean, it sounds like an awfully big hassle to go through just so some college kid could pick up on this difference 36 years after the record came out. :wink:

DAN BOLTON said:
but there has to be a good voice there, as well. Lani worked very hard on HAP and doesn't always get the credit she deserves. The more I learn about her career, the more impressed I am with her!

As am I! My theories about who sings what has never been intended to be a knock against Lani's talent in any way--she was and is a phenomenal singer! I'm just trying to figure out if Janis is on HAP too, or if my ears are deceiving me. :)

- William

Didn't Herb and the TJB record the dreaded "Talk to the Animals"? I seem to remember them doing it on some long-ago TV special from my childhood.

William said:
Brasil_66_Fan said:
I will admit though, that the Newley/Bricusse duo have composed some memorable songs, although I can't seem to remember their titles right now...
Well... "The Joker" springs immediately to mind for some reason. :wink: Another of my favorites is "Who Can I Turn To." Both were from a Broadway show I think.

Brasil_Nut said:

Heck, all of Sergio's female singers have been easy on the eyes. Have you ever tried to find a copy of the September 1972 issue of Playboy? I have to admit I'm a little curious about Karen's appearance in that... :D

DAN BOLTON said:
Sergio has confirmed that Lani sang alone on HAP, and that even the other girl on the cover was a stand-in.

Bibi Vogel, as I recall. But... like I said, Sergio also "confirmed" that Janis is singing on "Agua De Beber"--we don't know which account is accurate at this time.

DAN BOLTON said:
The differences in the vocals that you hear are the results of a very talented performer and an equally talented sound engineer. Tape speed and sound effects processing can work wonders...

But why would they use tape speed effects or special processing for one line of that song? I don't think there was a conscious effort going on to make it sound like Janis was present on the album. I mean, it sounds like an awfully big hassle to go through just so some college kid could pick up on this difference 36 years after the record came out. :wink:

DAN BOLTON said:
but there has to be a good voice there, as well. Lani worked very hard on HAP and doesn't always get the credit she deserves. The more I learn about her career, the more impressed I am with her!

As am I! My theories about who sings what has never been intended to be a knock against Lani's talent in any way--she was and is a phenomenal singer! I'm just trying to figure out if Janis is on HAP too, or if my ears are deceiving me. :)

- William

I wasn't aware that Sergio had made such a statement about Janis appearing on "Agua De Beber"...and I wasn't trying to "defend" Lani...I was just trying to list some of the things a sound engineer can do to add a little color and spice to a recording. I remember Bobby Darin singing on an album with a girl singer whoi was actually HIM! There was no time to replace the girl who was hired to sing, so they sped up the tape...I don't remember the song, but I'd love to see that album and read the credits.....:cool:

Dan

I was the one who asked Sergio about the vocals on HAP when he appeared at Flint Center (a couple of days after September 11th) with the San Jose Symphony. He confirmed that Lani was double tracked on HAP. "It's Lani-Lani all the way..." he said. When I asked if Janis was the same actress who appeared in The Odd Couple, he replied, "No! Karen was the actress." I said something along the lines of, "Karen was great..." to which he replied, "She had a great voice, was a great singer." In regard to the cover of HAP, he said that Miss Vogel appears on the cover; Janis is the woman on the back of the cover. "BiBi was supposed to be a part of Brasil '66," he told us, "but didn't join the group after all. Janis is on the back cover--she came along after we recorded the album." As for Equinox, he said that it is a mix of Janis and Lani, as is Look Around. He didn't say whether Janis was the lead vocalist on "Look Of Love." I don't think it came up in the conversation.

In regard to Karen's Playboy photo shoot...it's a tasteful outdoor/woodsy shoot. She looks sensational! :)

Jon...the "Brasil Nut"

Well Sergio is certainly shaking things up. So Janis ISN'T the actress on "The Odd Couple"?! That would mean she also isn't the person whose contact info is on the business card I posted above. Sheesh.

Funny about the "O Pato" line. I guess Lani just enunciated the lyric differently. She's as tricky as Sergio is. :wink:

- William

For what it's worth (no pun intended), I listened rather carefully this morning to "O Pato." I even used the rare MFSL copy since (as our fearless leader likes to point out) it's closer to the original source than anything else. To my ears, it sounds like Lani all the way.

Interesting factoid about there being two Janis Hansens though, one who sang with Sergio and one who was the actress-turned-talent agent. I think we need one of our West coast contingents to figure this one out.

The only 1st-gen Brasil '66 video I have hails from the old ABC-TV "Where The Action Is", a daytime black & white show that Dick Clark hosted, which put current-day pop stars out in the California sunshine, performing (miming) their hits. The Brasil '66 clip has them doing "Mas Que Nada". The setting is a boat, with Janis and Lani up on a higher deck, and the other bandmembers and Sergio "downstairs." It's interesting to see the two ladies appearing to sing in unison all the way through the song, when clearly there's only one voice on the track in many places. Whoever determined the placement of Janis and Lani for this appearance goofed, IMHO. Janis, the taller of the two (see Tim's picture in the "CNN" thread or at http://www.amcorner.com/gallery/collection1/collection1-2.php3 ) is placed at the more forward position of the two. Lani is behind her and to her left (our right). This camera angle makes Janis look MUCH larger than little Lani, since it's shot from slightly below. I realize that this all means nothing in terms of who sang what on the record, but points out that in public, the effort was put forth to create the illusion that there were two co-lead singers.

Harry
...getting ready for work, online...

OceanKing said:
Didn't Herb and the TJB record the dreaded "Talk to the Animals"? I seem to remember them doing it on some long-ago TV special from my childhood.

Yep. They sure did, on their THE BEAT OF THE BRASS TV special. It also made it to the album of the same name (much to the chagrin of many TJB fans!).

Harry
...who often skips that entire CD just because of that tune, online...

Harry said:
Yep. They sure did, on their THE BEAT OF THE BRASS TV special. It also made it to the album of the same name (much to the chagrin of many TJB fans!).

It works as a diversion on the TV show and wasn't nearly as annoying, but even in the LP days, I'd rush to the record player to flip it over and play "Slick" instead. It may have been better to put "California Girls" on the LP, with Herb doing his respectable Beach Boys imitation. :wink: (Although the visuals for that song were way more embarassing--all the TJB members doin' "kissy face" with a bunch of knockout California-ish girls. Oooh, how to explain to their significant others where all that lipstick came from. "But we were acting, honey!" :confused:

-= N =-

Brasil Nut:
"I was the one who asked Sergio about the vocals on HAP when he appeared at Flint Center (a couple of days after September 11th) with the San Jose Symphony. "

That's interesting, John, but you are wrong.

In all actuallity, I was the one who asked about the singers for the HAP album, and asked him who was on the cover of that album. Remember, I showed him the cover of the Japanese import of the HAP album, and he pulled out those fold-able half glasses, and looked at the cover. He looked at the front, then the back, then the front again and said: "That is Bibi Vogel" and turned it around and said: "That is Janis Hansen". I pulled out the "Equinox" and "Look Around" CD covers and "He verified that they were Lani and Janis on those 3 covers. (Some people weren't sure if Janis or Karen was on the cover of "Look Around") I asked him who sang on the first album and he said "Lani". And then I asked him "Who sang on that album with Lani" and he said "It was Lani and Lani... Lani was the only singer on the first album" And he totally wanted to make that perfectly clear. And he also signed the inside of my Japanese import CD Liner of "Herb Alpert Presents" while he was explaining all of this to us. And you had him sign your 1971 Tour Book with Karen and Gracinha... And the other thing was about the Janis Hansen being the actress or not. And Sergio said: "Karen was the actress". I remember that we had been discussing whether or not there were 2 Janis's all day before the concert. That was a great concert, wasn't it?

On another note, I think that business card for Janis Hansen for the Talent Agency is for the actress Janis and not singer Janis. (bummer)

Less than 2 weeks until the CD releases of País, Stillness, Expo, and Primal Roots... Woo-hoo.

Brandon

Hey You!!!

You are absolutely correct! I should have said "we" in relation to the conversation with Sergio. And, I do remember Sergio commenting on Karen being a great singer. I also recall him saying, "It's Lani-Lani all the way..." Regardless, it was Brandon and I who fired off the questions mentioned above...I stand corrected. Agreed that it's a bummer about there being two Janis Hansens! Wonder what ever became of the vocalist? Hope you're doing well Brandon...great to hear from you! :)

Jon...the "Brasil Nut"

Brasil_Nut said:
When I asked if Janis was the same actress who appeared in The Odd Couple, he replied, "No! Karen was the actress

Back from a "vacation" of 2300+ miles of driving to the 'Land of Lakes' (Minnesota) and the 'Mistake on the Lake' (Cleveland), if you call apartment hunting and moving stuff for your daughter that...

Sergio was right about Karen as an actress, but wrong about the show. She appeared in several episodes of "MASH" while a (The?) Janis Hansen appeared in episodes of "The Odd Couple" as Felix's ex-wife, Gloria. Never watched either show first run (or even 2nd or 3rd for that matter), but this info's based on previous 'Rudy's Corner' posts and various other reading material.
BTW, I made a mistake in my previous posting regarding the songs performed at the '67 Michigan State Fair, which must have been my Alzheimer's(?) acting up again; 'A Little Help From My Friends' (from 'Look Around') wasn't one of the songs performed - sorry.

Brasil_66_Fan said:
Back from a "vacation" of 2300+ miles of driving to the 'Land of Lakes' (Minnesota) and the 'Mistake on the Lake' (Cleveland), if you call apartment hunting and moving stuff for your daughter that...

Sounds like it was an "all-driving" trip. We did Minneapolis in about 11 hours each way. A bit tiring (especially through the land of the cheeseheads :wink: ), but worth it.

Sergio was right about Karen as an actress, but wrong about the show. She appeared in several episodes of "MASH" while a (The?) Janis Hansen appeared in episodes of "The Odd Couple" as Felix's ex-wife, Gloria.

Could be that neither show ran in syndication down in Brazil. :wink: Plus, if M*A*S*H were dubbed in Portugese, it would probably be quite funny to listen to. Almost as funny as listening to some of the Disney movies with the Spanish soundtrack playing. :D )

-= N =-

This is a factual report and in no way intended as a criticism:

Some years ago I played some S.M. music to a Brazillian ( From Minas Gerais Province - Belo Horizonte)

His comment:

" Nice music! What language is that?"

Me: :shock: "Portugese"

Him: "Oh Yes! So it is!. The American accent was so thick I couldn't make it out :!: "

Any native Brazillian or Portugese speaker know different?
Maybe he was "Regional", or something :)

(my stereo system worked fine! - no 100% THD or anything)

On the original question, the only info I have which might be relevent (I'm not familiar with the chronology here) is:

Cinnamon & Clove; Lani & Janis Hansen

Chelsea Morning and So Many People: Karen Philipp & Gracinha Leporace.

These from the cover note by Stan Britt of AMLC4002: "Portrait of Sergio Mendes" (2LPs) dated 1973.

regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom