Karen's Versatility

Status
Not open for further replies.

ringves

In one of the video documentaries on the C's, Frank Pooler appears on camera and comments on how Karen's voice could take on many different "colourings". I think that's the word he used.

That got me thinking - Most people know the C's hits. And based on those hits, the casual listener would have formed an opinion of the C's. "Oh, they do this type of song." We love to pigeonhole artists, don't we?

So I thought about Frank Pooler's comment and asked myself: What lesser-known songs would I play for the casual listener to give them a sense of Karen's versatility? Here's a short list that I think would surprise "the casual listener":

• And When I Die - Not a C's recording, I know, but an eye (or rather ear) opener if there ever was one! Karen Carpenter holds her own with Ms. Freeman in a very soulful rendition.
  • Ave Maria - How many pop singers could match Karen on this song? Not many.
  • Jambalaya & Sweet Sweet Smile - Note Karen's country inflection on some of the lines in these 2 recordings. (Granted these songs were hits in some areas, but certainly not nearly as big as their most famous recordings.)
  • Cinderella Rockefella - Yes, Ms. Carpenter had an upper register.
  • From This Moment On (live) - I've commented on this song a few times before. How many of today's pop singers would have the technical proficiency to pull this off - LIVE? Again, not many.

What recordings would you play to the casual listener to make the case that KC was a very versatile singer?

That's a good list. I recently put on a playlist at work which included California Dreaming, and my friend, who is astonishingly knowledgable about music, asked me who it was. I was like: you don't know?! When I told him, he was completely bowled over, and he said he loved it!

Also, I had 'Another Song' on the same playlist, and another friend just blurted out, "Wow amazing" when she heard the climactic choral Karen overdubs before the instrumental coda.

Great thread!

For me, the following give a good flavour as to Karen's versatility.

• You're The One - shows off Karen's amazing, pure vocal prowess and breath control.
  • B'Wana She No Home - Karen at her jazzy, playful best.
  • Another Song - for all the reasons listed in the above post.
  • Bacharach/David Medley (Make Your Own Kind of Music version) - I'd love to have heard Karen sing full versions of 'A House Is Not A Home' and 'Trains and Boats and Planes'. In fact, I wish Carpenters had done a whole album of Bacharach/David standards. I think they were born to sing their material.

Those four would make my list, as well, newvillefan. They're all astonishing in their own way. And I agree about 'From This Moment On' (live), 'Sweet Sweet Smile' and 'Ave Maria', too.

I'd also add 'Eve', 'Help!', 'A Song For You', 'Desperado', 'Trying To Get The Feeling Again', 'My Body Keeps Changing My Mind' and 'All Because of You'.

I agree that whole medley they did on Make Your Own Kind of Music was spectacular, some of the phrasing she did and how she played with her vocals even on these short clips are pretty nice. I wish Richard would release just those clips all spliced together without the audience clapping, that would make a great unreleased track on box set. So he hates the show, who cares, give us the audio only then, I don't understand how music from that special still had not made it to any box set. Richard doesn't have to deal with the video just clean up the audio and release it, after all it's about the music right?

I agree that whole medley they did on Make Your Own Kind of Music was spectacular, some of the phrasing she did and how she played with her vocals even on these short clips are pretty nice. I wish Richard would release just those clips all spliced together without the audience clapping, that would make a great unreleased track on box set. So he hates the show, who cares, give us the audio only then, I don't understand how music from that special still had not made it to any box set. Richard doesn't have to deal with the video just clean up the audio and release it, after all it's about the music right?

I don't think he can Chris, because the audio is 'locked in' to the final version broadcast. She sang these tracks live and the audience applause (canned or otherwise) is on the same recorded video mix, so it's virtually impossible to clean it up. It's for this reason that Richard sang the opening line on the Carpenters/Como medley. From the official Carpenters site:

"In December of 1974 Karen and I were guests on Perry Como's annual Christmas special. As we were life-long fans of Perry, this was a treat for us. One of the spots was a medley, in which Perry sang some of our hits and we sang some of his. As originally arranged and performed, this track was six minutes and fifty-five seconds in duration. While the special was in post-production being edited, it was discovered that this was just too long. As a result, the first four songs hit the editing room floor and the piece was faded up on the segue into Close to You, with canned applause incorporated to make it seem smoother, hence my singing the first words of this tune in this mix".

Last edited:
Well, he might not be able to cut the clapping out, but it would still be wonderful to have those performances. I'd think with the modern technology we have today, they could probably make it work. She wasn't singing over any applause. Just the piano was clapped over. Could be tough to match it up, but I'll bet it can be done.

All of the songs above are indeed representative.
If I were to highlight Karen Carpenter's vocal versatility to the casual listener,
I would include:
Nowhere Man
Hideaway
Ave Maria
Little Alter Boy
Two Sides
Uninvited Guest
My Body Keeps Changing My Mind
All Because of You

Tough List, as there are so very many fantastic examples on display of Karen's unique vocal interpretations.

Well, with multi track tech and patience; it is possible. I have an edit by someone who someone else sent along because someone knew I'd enjoy. A friend of a friend with the time, patience and know how. A friend of a friend of a friend you could say.

I will try to share when I have the time. It is well done.
Well, he might not be able to cut the clapping out, but it would still be wonderful to have those performances. I'd think with the modern technology we have today, they could probably make it work. She wasn't singing over any applause. Just the piano was clapped over. Could be tough to match it up, but I'll bet it can be done.
ll

Would love a complete album of jazz infused or R&B with down home gospel backups. Karen often recorded soulful with or w/o trying even. Ordinary Foolish and on...Rainy Days...Richard could've and perhaps may have one day produced a Motownesque thingamajig. Replacing the OK Chorale 'sound" with soul and passion at re-edit or remix whatever the hell they do... I NEED TO BE IN LOVE with backgrounds from the heart not those ethereal angelic sounding easy listenin stuff n fluff. The b/g vocals on Calling Occupants are edgier, grittier not so OK Chorale. This surrounding the infamous she I crave. B/grounds on BWANA have that feel like we got this. Back to INTBIL, lose b/up v's altogether revealing a stark reading ala KC solo and Make Believe It's Your First Time. Just piano, Karen and longing. Since the Bettis interview pt 1 I've re-examined Goodbye To Love in message. The words ooowee ouchie mama no kiddin. Looking back the anguish, impoverished heart raw, splayed open, laid bare. "no one ever cared if I should live or die"??? Just the notion is rooted in heartsick suicide. Coming round the bend with my point now...Rather than play to incessant top 40 recognition, frame the voice and feature in genres and different respects. Showcase. Not detract. Karen needed a studio, a mic and very little accompaniment to deliver the goods. Later on especially, particularly, Richard seemed given to overproduce some stuff as tho more the merrier. Unless it was the rich indelible K&R odubs less was more to my ear. The outtakes like say Your Baby Doesn't Love You Anymore with Richard on backup vocals a hit for me. The 'others' sound intrusive and out of place. Strength Of a Woman has a good feel at chorus. Injecting some soul...not sleep. I would pawn a small child in order to finance a venture of stripping the aural offenses. I know I can assemble a CarpenteR(S) soul disc although I much prefer the store bought kind. Rich released LOVE SONGS and INTERPRETATIONS now howza bout a collection of the bluesy stuff? It's bound to include a hit or two but I would like the chief focus on the voice or the voices of the duo. Stripped down versions. A re-imagining really.

If only I had a small child...

Would love a complete album of jazz infused or R&B with down home gospel backups. Karen often recorded soulful with or w/o trying even. Ordinary Foolish and on...Rainy Days...Richard could've and perhaps may have one day produced a Motownesque thingamajig. Replacing the OK Chorale 'sound" with soul and passion at re-edit or remix whatever the hell they do... I NEED TO BE IN LOVE with backgrounds from the heart not those ethereal angelic sounding easy listenin stuff n fluff. The b/g vocals on Calling Occupants are edgier, grittier not so OK Chorale. This surrounding the infamous she I crave. B/grounds on BWANA have that feel like we got this. Back to INTBIL, lose b/up v's altogether revealing a stark reading ala KC solo and Make Believe It's Your First Time. Just piano, Karen and longing. Since the Bettis interview pt 1 I've re-examined Goodbye To Love in message. The words ooowee ouchie mama no kiddin. Looking back the anguish, impoverished heart raw, splayed open, laid bare. "no one ever cared if I should live or die"??? Just the notion is rooted in heartsick suicide. Coming round the bend with my point now...Rather than play to incessant top 40 recognition, frame the voice and feature in genres and different respects. Showcase. Not detract. Karen needed a studio, a mic and very little accompaniment to deliver the goods. Later on especially, particularly, Richard seemed given to overproduce some stuff as tho more the merrier. Unless it was the rich indelible K&R odubs less was more to my ear. The outtakes like say Your Baby Doesn't Love You Anymore with Richard on backup vocals a hit for me. The 'others' sound intrusive and out of place. Strength Of a Woman has a good feel at chorus. Injecting some soul...not sleep. I would pawn a small child in order to finance a venture of stripping the aural offenses. I know I can assemble a CarpenteR(S) soul disc although I much prefer the store bought kind. Rich released LOVE SONGS and INTERPRETATIONS now howza bout a collection of the bluesy stuff? It's bound to include a hit or two but I would like the chief focus on the voice or the voices of the duo. Stripped down versions. A re-imagining really.

If only I had a small child...
Funny, I was just thinking the same thing yesterday while listening to 'And When He Smiles' which has no backing vocals at all except for a couple of hoots and hollers from the guys. It is stripped down and beautiful. I, too, would love to hear more of this kind of approach though we're not likely to for obvious reasons.

Always reminds me when Petula Clark says, "She could have sung anything....Karen's voice had mystery, intrigue...." That's why I so loved her solo song LAST ONE SINGIN THE BLUES....to hear her attempting to sing something different. I loved her solo album, as it contained something she wanted to sing differently. I wish she had done a Broadway album as well....

Jeff , you certainly reinforced and encapsulated all of the important details! Great job!

When I (re)listen to Karen's solo album, the Versatility of her vocal acrobatics is imprinted everywhere!
Versatility in her vocal prowess is evident through the years:
From the first recorded vocals (on LP) of "Invocation (1969)" continuing to "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town (1974)"
to You're The One (1977), Ave Maria (1978--sans choir ending), thence the Solo Songs (1979) ,
I continue to be astounded and amazed at the supreme vocal talents of Karen Carpenter.
(And, I prefer overdubs simply done by Karen and Richard, no outsiders, no Chorales....just the siblings, please.)

I never was a huge fan of OFFERING, the album. I remember back in the days of Swift Current, Saskatchewan, Canada, when I was in high school. And I would pour over music magazines, entertainment magazines (People, Us, Goldmine, Rolling Stone etc), looking for anything on the Carpenters. I remember coming across a store in the USA that had their albums, singles, cassettes etc. And so I wrote to them, and they sent me back a copy of all they had. And with the prices.
I think though it was because the first album I ever heard was THE SINGLES 1969-1973 back in Spring of 1988 (I was 15), and I loved it. Then I went and bought the next cassette of The Singles 1974-1978. Which wowed me. The previous album I listened to was an 8 Track, so to listen to the double album twintape of Both SINGLES cassettes was amazing to hear the clarity and crystalline of it amazed me. Next album I heard was MADE IN AMERIA, and I liked that. Followed by VOICE OF THE HEART my fave album. I loved the type of singing she did....slow, relaxed, elegant. Then I got from the library A KIND OF HUSH and that was the album I just adored. I loved the type of songs she sang, sensitive, sweet....to me, its a three way tie of my fave albums of VOICE OF THE HEART, A KIND OF HUSH and CLOSE TO YOU albums.....the next album I received was the one I bought, my first LP at Sam The Record Man in Downtown Winnipeg, CLOSE TO YOU. I remember rushing home on the bus to take a listen to it on our stereo, and I was NOT disappointed! I especially loved I'LL NEVER FALL IN LOVE AGAIN to hear the 39 voice chord....and that was why I had bought the album, after hearing about it in the liner notes of the first Singles album.....I eventually did buy TICKET TO RIDE, CARPENTERS, A SONG FOR YOU and HORIZON, and they were nice albums....same with NOW AND THEN which I found in a tape bin on sale for about $3.00. Actually CARPENTERS and CHRISTMAS PORTRAIT are tied in my SECOND most fave albums. I liked PASSAGE, a very interesting album!

Given the current debate in another thread regarding Karen's "soul" in her singing, I thought I would revisit this great thread about Karen's versatility as a singer. I believe, in some instances, you could characterize Karen as having "soul." Yes, she was a balladeer supreme, and some of their hits were up tempo, too, but, when I think about it, it boggles my mind just how far she was able to fly beyond these confines and how versatile she was as a singer! And I know I am preaching to the choir here. :) Yet here are just a few examples that showcase that versatility:
  • "This Masquerade" (jazz)
  • "Sweet Sweet Smile" (country)
  • "I Can Dream Can't I" (standards)
  • "My Body Keeps Changing My Mind" (disco)
  • "Don't Cry for Me Argentina" (Broadway)
  • "Last One Singin' the Blues" (blues)
  • "Keep My Lovelight Burning" (rock)
  • And, no doubt, I am forgetting a genre or two!
Richard did amazing work showcasing Karen's voice and arranging their songs, but I am just as easily blown away by the stripped-down solo recording, "All Because of You." Throw in amazing breath control ("Goodbye to Love"), interpretation ("Superstar"), range (beginning note 'after' of "Only Yesterday" to 'here to remind you' on "I'll Never Fall in Love Again"), goosebumps factor ("Solitaire" or "Ave Maria"), and undisputed depth of feeling (soul?) ("Rainy Days and Mondays" or "I Need to Be in Love"), and Karen soars beyond impressive and mesmerizing!

James, how about Christmas/Religious genre with regard to Christmas Portrait. Karen set such a high standard on Christmas Portrait that to this day I can't find another Christmas CD/Album that can top that one and not every artist can sing Christmas songs with the perfection that she did.

Excellent post James and when you spell it out like you did, she really could sing any genre. I have always been blown away by the stripped down recording of "All Because of You." I can still remember hearing that song for the first time, I went to Peaches Records and Tapes bought the CD and opened it on my way to the car, popped the CD in and I must have hit repeat so many times that I got home and I was still playing track 2 and had to play the rest inside on my home system. I still remember that feeling...it was like she was right there in my car and she never left....it was a surreal moment for me....I love that song.

James, how about Christmas/Religious genre with regard to Christmas Portrait. Karen set such a high standard on Christmas Portrait that to this day I can't find another Christmas CD/Album that can top that one and not every artist can sing Christmas songs with the perfection that she did.

Thanks, Chris! And I totally agree with you. How could I have left off Christmas music?!?! Of course, the Christmas/religious genre is another area where Karen effortlessly excelled, as some would argue, in an unparalleled fashion. Many of us here (and indeed other music aficionados and critics alike) consider Portrait to be the "gold standard." Or is that multiplatinum standard? Her talent and abilities were beyond incredible. And one other thing: as we just passed what would have been Karen's 65th birthday, I'd like to think that Karen (and Richard) would still be performing, as many of their contemporaries still do, such as Olivia Newton-John, Melissa Manchester, and Barry Manilow (among others).

PS: I know fans give mixed reviews to "All Because of You." The way you describe your initial exposure to that song resonates with me and illustrates the song's impact. It's a departure but a breathtaking one!

Last edited:
It's hard to convince people who have made up their minds. I have made the mistake of playing songs that other singers have covered and that never goes well. My theory is that as Americans become less knowledgeable about music, it becomes harder to scrutinize music and recognize those who have exceptional talent. Hence the decline of orchestras, music programs, paino stores, etc. My grandparents, great uncles, aunts, parents, and other old-timers all played instruments and sang all the time. When does that happen now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom