Karen's "Jimmy Mack" - "Finished" version

Status
Not open for further replies.

motownboy

I hope you enjoy this..I took the demo for "Jimmy Mack" and added new instrumentation and production to it. Nothing radical was done. I didn't try to "modernize" it, I just added a few basic elements to it.. Granted Karen's demo was not a final take, but I thought it was worthy of being more than just a demo. This and the video were done out of love for both Karen and for the song, which is one of my favorite Motown classics.

It's funny how a professional mix changes your mind....I never liked this demo she cut but what you did with this new production is "fantastic"

I love it!!!

anyway to get an mp3 of this? :cool:

lovely stuff, motown boy. I don't suppose your computer wizardry can remove things from existing songs. . . ok choral, hint hint. . .I'm presuming not since it's embedded in the tracks, but can't hurt to ask.

well done again.

neil

Thank you all for the kind comments. It was truly a labor of love. I wish that Richard would/could authorize the "finishing" of all of Karen's demo tracks. If he wasn't to do them, them pick someone he would like to finish them. It might not be possible. In a recent interview, he said that the multitrack tapes of the Carpenters were lost in a vault fire at a Universal storage facility. I did read that Iron Mountain was managing the vault and was said to have restored a lot of the damaged tapes from that fire...Who knows?

Thank you all for the kind comments. It was truly a labor of love. I wish that Richard would/could authorize the "finishing" of all of Karen's demo tracks. If he wasn't to do them, them pick someone he would like to finish them. It might not be possible. In a recent interview, he said that the multitrack tapes of the Carpenters were lost in a vault fire at a Universal storage facility. I did read that Iron Mountain was managing the vault and was said to have restored a lot of the damaged tapes from that fire...Who knows?
You're hired!

With all the tracks Karen recorded with Phil Ramone, we could have had a double album released!!

Hope Motownboy can find some time to do his magic on the other demo tracks.

Motown Boy-

I just now had a chance to take a look at this and it's great! Props to you. Great job. This is my least favorite track she did for the solo album, but you improved upon it so much. Very good stuff! :)

I feel like as the years go by, I'm starting to appreciate why Richard is reluctant to fix up the remaining tracks. Unless he can lower the register, it just sounds weak. I don't think Karen really intended most of these to see the light of day. Really wish Rich would work on the wishin' hopin' from myokom or toss us some other scraps. i also think Karen's solo would have sounded AMAZING if RC had remixed them ala Lovelines in 1989. Richard could have added and removed things to make them sound the best possible. Karen would have preferred RC's mix of Lovelines and If I had You. He put more meat into the songs.

I also starting to worry that as Richard gets older, we are not going to get to see what the unreleased material could have become. I would hate for one of his kids to start recording duets with the music or let another company have the rights, like Lisa Marie did with Elvis.

I also starting to worry that as Richard gets older, we are not going to get to see what the unreleased material could have become. I would hate for one of his kids to start recording duets with the music or let another company have the rights, like Lisa Marie did with Elvis.

Welcome new member!!!

If you have not already done so, I would recommend listening to the recent Richard Carpenter interview at the top of the forum. Richard has clearly stated that "he is done" there will be no more Carpenters releases, no more unfinished tracks, left over's or remixes. It sounds like he is done completely. It seems at this point all we have to hope for are mixes like Motownboy (which is refreshing to hear).

Just listened to the interview. I'm going to hold my breath for a change of heart for the 50th. It's funny because when the 1st From the Top came out, I was certain that would be it, since it was soooo long after Karen passed. After all, 8 years is a long time, 1983 - 1991! But now, I can't believe the 50th is coming up.

It's also hard to believe Richard hasn't made digital copies of the Masters. Plus the "live" stuff. I have always fantasized about a Carpenters BC album, an album of all of the music "Before Close2You." Your Navy Presents and some early mixes of Help! and cleaned up Someday.. and his version of Get Together, which always makes me smile. As the years pass, new Carpenters demand will force RC to release new mixes or new material.

Richard has created this need for more. He has stretched this legacy to it's max for the last 31 years. There are no words to really express to him other than to say, Thank You for the memories. I sure miss Karen, though. I have 2 photos of Karen in her coffin given to me from Cindy Ward in Texas, a friend of Paul, a cousin of Karen's. I'll never publish it, but I guess I'll go back to the stacks and take a re-listen to the catalog. Right now, I'm obsessed with 1989's Lovelines album. I think it's my "if I were stuck on a deserted island…" cd.

This forum is great, by the way!

Yep, absolutely! I didn't request them, btw. Cindy, was a longtime fan and she and I met before the internet became popular. We met through the owner of Medium Rare Records in San Francisco. The owner called me one day to say that there was another fan that was looking for some of the material he had sold to me. I called her at her home in Fort Worth and we became friends. She suffered from anorexia, like Karen and actually passed away from it. Randy dedicates his book to her and she would speak about him often. I think he may be the only other fan with a copy of it.

Okay, Motownboy!

This is skill! I think I can hear all you added. The modesty is admirable but you didn't just add basic elements. You completely re-did the production! Are you the background vocalist? Tell us all you did! This is really well done!

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom