Karen Philipp on M*A*S*H *

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trevor

hey all,

I saw this website and wanted to share it. This is a MASH website, and it has a page called "Promoting the Premiere". Interesting that Karen was in so many promo pics. I remember her saying (in the Playboy interview) that she was upset to find out that her role was going to be minor. This now makes sense to me. With these pics and a bigger part of the pilot - I can see how she thought that she might be in a bigger role.

The other thing is - I always wandered if her posing in Playboy effected (negatively) her career. Was not around in 1972, so I don't know if that was a good or bad thing.

I attached a nice pic of her (actually genuinely smiling) from the website:

http://www.mash4077tv.com/features/promoting_premiere/

promo_premiere01.jpg

We actually had an old thread around here where I pointed out that in fact, Karen Philipp appears in every single episode of M*A*S*H. If you look carefully in the opening credits, she can be seen in the shot where everyone crouches down. And the figure who comes up behind Hawkeye, as he's examining the helicopter patient is also Karen. It's all edited so you don't notice it - but she's there!

Harry

I was very much 'around' when the TV version of "M*A*S*H" premiered in the fall of 1972. I remember being very intrigued when I learned that Karen Philipp of Brasil '66 (!) was playing Lt. 'Dish' and very disappointed when her character lasted only two episodes. (I was also puzzled when former pro football player Timmy Brown's character, 'Spearchucker' was dropped from the series early on). Maybe the producers decided the regular cast was too large for the show.

I don't know if being in Playboy magazine did anything to help (or hinder) Karen's acting career but I wish she would have continued singing, with Sergio Mendes or another group or even as a solo performer.

Charles

Well, let's see, the post is in the "Sergio Mendes/Brazilian Music" Forum, so that would be the 1st clue. :D And A&M Guy is correct, we need more people to post instead of just looking. Join up! Become a member and you will be able to post - we'd like to hear what more folks have to say about their favorite A&M recording artists!

Okay, I have to state the obvious: When I first noticed this thread ("Karen on MASH"), I thought Trevor was referencing Karen Carpenter, not really a leap given the forum's main focus, and that Trevor was some sort of trouble-making interloper, having fun at the expense of Carpenters' fans.

Sort of a natural mistake to make, I think.

But Steve and Bill are correct in stating that the other forums could use some more action, and that lurkers (we know you're out there) should join up and start posting. Most of us don't bite, and we have quite a knowledge-base among us about most things in the classic A&M period. And our leader Rudy wants to add more focus to later-period A&M acts, so experts in that area are encouraged to sign up.

Harry

I love the Carpenters posts, but this is an A&M forum and I love hearing from people about all kinds of music and artists! And I would love to discuss later-era A&M artists - how did the label change in their philosophy and approach......

I love the Carpenters posts, but this is an A&M forum and I love hearing from people about all kinds of music and artists! And I would love to discuss later-era A&M artists - how did the label change in their philosophy and approach......
Working on that, actually, once I get two other major projects completed. Things have gotten stale, and there's more to A&M than the 60s. Just not enough time for me to sit and churn out content all day long.

I have the negative proofs (or one set of them) from these photo shoots. Karen posed for quite a few publicity shots. Shame her part was cut so early in the show. She'd have made a good foil for Hot Lips.

Jon...the "Brasil Nut"

Sort of a natural mistake to make, I think.

But Steve and Bill are correct in stating that the other forums could use some more action, and that lurkers (we know you're out there) should join up and start posting. Most of us don't bite, and we have quite a knowledge-base among us about most things in the classic A&M period. And our leader Rudy wants to add more focus to later-period A&M acts, so experts in that area are encouraged to sign up.

Harry

As an administrator, maybe it would be possible to adjust the topic title to include Ms. Phillip's last name. I have to agree that even with the addition of your new Carpenters resource site, A&M Corner itself does seem to function more as a Carpenters forum than anything else. I'd like to see more here about the Baja Marimbas myself; there's a lot to be learned about the A&M legacy beyond the Carpenters.

My apologies about the Karen mixup. But as a Sergio fan - there is only one Karen!

(I am a Carpenter's fan too - I have their discography. Just the original albums, Gold, etc...)

No problem, Trevor. I certainly understood it - and was the immediate follow-up poster, adding Karen's last name for just such a mix-up potential.

Harry

I was around in '72 for the series premiere, AND I had the Playboy issue. (Had to keep the B'66 collection complete, y'know! :D)

I remember an article in TV Guide at the time about Karen (Phillip!) on MASH - it was just one page long but had a great picture and mentioned Brasil '66. How strange of them to feature her in their publicity when the producers must have decided early on that her character wasn't going to have a continuing role....

Oh, I remember Karen. I was fortunate to have dated her (Once) when she was at the University of Redlands.

Some kinda neat woman.

I'd still like to know whycome she only stayed in MASH for the first two episodes. I thought she did a splendid job. Anyone know?

The story I've heard is that the producers realized that they'd hired too many peripheral characters for a weekly television show. Initially they tried to have as many characters as the movie, but budgets forced them to pare that back, so out went Ho-Jon, Spearchucker Jones, and Lt. Dish. The "Dish" character was there in spirit as there was always a flashy blond around somewhere. They just didn't *call* her Dish.

And as we've mentioned on these pages, Karen Philipp did indeed appear - if very briefly - in EVERY M*A*S*H OPENING.

HawkDishRadarRed.jpg

Though the close-up scene is pruned in all later episodes, Karen Philipp's shadow can be seen about to emerge behind Hawkeye in this shot from the pilot.

HawkDish.jpg

Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom