All tracks except Jambalaya

HORIZON:
Please Mister Postman, Happy

MADE IN AMERICA:
Shared drumming and percussion on When it's Gone
Shared percussion on Those Good Old Dreams

Hope this helps, mate.

Neil

I can't remember where I read about Help but I'm sure it's her drumming.

Also, everything from the Close To You sessions recorded before the song of the same name had Karen drumming (as we know Hal Blaine replaced her with this song). We also know that Help was slated as the next carpenter single before CTY came along.

Therefore, Karen drummed on HELP.

I'm 99 percent sure, anyway.

Neil

Yes thanks Neil, some of those I didn't realize she played drums on, especially When it's Gone, No wonder why I like it so much.

...always outside the norm on my favorites, online...

Briefly, and correct me if I'm wrong guys,

OFFERING:
All tracks

CLOSE TO YOU:
HELP, ANOTHER SONG, LOVE IS SURRENDER, I'LL NEVER FALL IN LOVE AGAIN, MR GUDER

CARPENTERS:
THE BACHARACH MEDLEY

A SONG 4 U:
Flat Baroque

NOW AND THEN:
All tracks except Jambalaya

HORIZON:
Please Mister Postman, Happy

MADE IN AMERICA:
Shared drumming and percussion on When it's Gone
Shared percussion on Those Good Old Dreams

Hope this helps, mate.

Neil

Can't believe its been 10 years since i wrote on this particular thread, but realized I missed off a track. She also drummed on Crystal Lullaby (according to the Carpenters perform Carpenter credits).

Where did you read that A&M Retro? I'm pretty sure it was Hal Blaine. . . the Interpretations video had her playing drums on the track. . .but this was for show. . . like the Rainy Days video.

Newsletter#67 from May 1980 does not list the song Help as one on which Karen played drums
on the Close To You LP.
I have no clue if that is just an oversight.

It's in the liner notes of SOME compilation that Richard stated K.C. played drums on 'Reason To Believe', but he could have been mistaken. But I'm pretty sure I saw that years ago in some liner notes.

I'm not entirely sure Karen played drums on Help. Back in the late 1980s, pre-internet, a friend of mine got hold of a copy of 'Your Navy Presents'. At the time, we had no idea what the tape was and my friend made a copy and sent it to Richard with a list of questions about the tape. In his reply, he explained about the radio programme for services personnel based overseas and explained a little about some of the tracks. He said that most of the tracks were recorded 'as live' but 'Help' was not. He said it was an early 'unsweetened' mix (his precise words) from the studio sessions for the Close to You album and that the final version differed from it, in that strings were added and Karen's drumming was replaced with drumming by Hal Blaine on the album. Not sure whether he was right about all that, but that's definitely what he said at the time.

After reading the list in this thread and "mentally" listening to those songs Karen played on, I can kind of imagine where Herb Alpert was coming from when he wanted Hal Blaine to come in and do the drums on "Close To You." On various interviews, Herb said the drumming needed a little more energy and needed to be funkier. Listening to the way she drums on the songs we KNOW it's her, I think I can fairly well imagine what she sounded like on the early recordings of "Close To You." Would still be fun to hear those sessions though!

Newsletter#67 from May 1980 does not list the song Help as one on which Karen played drums
on the Close To You LP.
I have no clue if that is just an oversight.

you're right. I slipped up. Upon looking at the credits on the Japanese Anthology I see it was Blaine that supplied the drums for help, not Karen

According to The Essential Collection liner notes, Karen also played drums on
Morning Crown Chocolate Commercial (From the Heart),
the Suntory Pop Commercial(s) ( There's a Sparkle...),
and the Ma Bell Good Friends Are For Keeps.

CLOSE TO YOU:
HELP, ANOTHER SONG, LOVE IS SURRENDER, I'LL NEVER FALL IN LOVE AGAIN

I'm pretty certain it was Hal who played drums on Help. Sounds like his chops, not to mention the session contract for that song also states it was cut along with the rhythm tracking of Close To You and I Kept On Loving You. :)

I'm pretty certain it was Hal who played drums on Help. Sounds like his chops, not to mention the session contract for that song also states it was cut along with the rhythm tracking of Close To You and I Kept On Loving You. :)

You're right, Chris. I noticed my faux-pas back in March. Is that her on "Never Fall in Love"

I love Karen Carpenter on drums. Especially when she does double duty, drumming and singing simultaneously.
That being said, Jim Gordon and Larrie Londin's studio work (Only Yesterday and Touch Me When We're Dancing, respectively),
resonate strongly in my mind.
The other drummers involved with Carpenters' recordings and concerts, were , also , always top notch!

I note that the drumming arrangements on Carpenters' songs were always rather interesting.
I did forget a few session drummers: Ed Greene (All You Get From Love), John Robinson, and
Ron Tutt (he seems to be the 'go to' guy on the later albums--MIA).
Karen's timing on This Masquerade and Postman is impeccable.
Cubby O'brien drums on Goofus.
I am fascinated by how Richard Carpenter decided who would drum on which songs.
How did he go about making the decision?
His preference seems to have been Hal Blaine in the early days, and Ron Tutt in the later period.
And, the drumming on the Solo album is fantastic, I might add. Love Liberty DeVitto.

I went to the same church as Ron Tutt when I lived in Ca. Kept an eye out for him but never met him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom