John Bettis [Interview]*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris May

Resident ‘Carpenterologist’
Staff member
In light of his recent interview with The Tennessean, I called John to ask him if he would be interested in doing an interview with me - similar to the interview I did with Richard back in January. He has agreed, and I thought before we scheduled taping that I would ask for some input.

Given the nearly (40) songs John has contributed to the Carpenters' catalogue, (6) of those songs were singles. I thought a bulk of the interview could be a song-by-song recollection of not only the writing of those songs with Richard (with primary focus on the singles), but also some of the behind-the-scenes backstory in the creation of the records themselves. Any additional Q&A ideas you might have are welcome also. :)

Last edited:
Right on Chris! So, if Karen wasn't presented with a song until studio, what did she then do to gather the emotion, reading etc...how did she take say Caught Between Goodbye and I Love You and lay down a flawless vocal? How many takes at final lead? Was her in studio performance precipitated by some kind of warm-up, psych-out? Did Karen have confidence as is evident in the ONLY YESTERDAY clip in sound both? I mean did she walk in studio D ready for biz, open her mouth and voila Karen Carpenter? I guess I'd like to know that during her career she had a confidence and pride at being the rare instrument she was. Okay Chris, those are a couple of my musings if you can unscramble them.

Jeff

Something that always interests me when learning about people who are strictly lyricists is the process of writing the songs. Did Richard come up with melodies that he turned over to John Bettis to write lyrics for? Did John Bettis come up with a lyric and give it to Richard to set to music? Did they sit in a room together and work it out simultaneously?

I remember reading about two of the greatest composer/lyricist teams in history -- Rodgers and Hart, and Rodgers and Hammertein -- and how they approached the songwriting process very differently. Richard Rodgers would compose the music first, then Lorenz Hart would write lyrics. When Richard Rodgers ended his collaboration with Lorenz Hart and began working with Oscar Hammerstein, they did it the other way around; Oscar Hammerstein would write a lyric first, then Richard Rodgers would set it to music.

A composer who is able to compose brilliant music both ways is rare. I'm curious how the Carpenter/Bettis team did it, and if it ever got switched up, or if it always worked the same way.

Also, I Need To Be In Love was said to be Karen's fave and John wrote lyrics for her/them. Karen has said this was a tough one for her to get thru upon outings. Before this tune I seem to recall Goodbye To Love being significant as well. Questions: 1) Karen's reaction to recording these vulnerable trax and 2) the backstory behind anthems?
Does John ever plan to write mmmmm maybe ghostwrite any book that may include tell-all things Carpenter(S)?
If Bettis could write an intimate song today for Karen, about Karen, what would it be called?
In retrospect, what is JB's take on the ACTUAL KC story and the voice that gave his lyrics immortality?

Aren't cha glad ya asked Chris?

Jeff

Wow, how cool. I was just listening to 'CTY' today, and I have always been curious about 'Crescent Noon'. It is one of my favorite songs, but I don't really understand why it's 'noon'. How did they come up with this somewhat unusual title to this amazing song?

Amazing news Chris!

Of all the interviews you could have done, this is the one that makes me the most excited (Mr Carpenter himself excepted of course :)). John's such a great storyteller and has great analytical recall of his experiences with the Carpenters in all the other interviews with him that I've seen/read.

The most profound quote of his that stayed with me is one from the Coleman book, where he summarised Karen's struggle over the years with her problem: "She won the game she was playing. But the price she paid was amazingly high."

I'm really excited to hear this one, maybe even more excited than most because John really speaks from his heart and just like his words in song, he explains things in a very personable approach. Can't wait. Thanks Chris

Which 2 songs literally moved you the most or gave you goosebumps when you first heard Karen complete the final version?

What was going through your mind when you penned the song, "I'm Still Not Over You?"

What are your thoughts on Karen's solo album and did you ever talk with her about that venture and what it meant to her.

Do you ever wake up and have these lyrics in your head and can hear Karen singing them?

Did you ever attend any of their live shows or tour with them to any locations US or abroad?

(Stephen, I didn't know he said it like that. I thought it was something like "She won the battle but lost the war"....my favorite quote of his is “My words have lost the best voice they ever had”) just heart wrenching.

Oh, man, this is tough just coming up with a few questions. But here goes:

How did the writing process with Richard evolve from their college days until their most recent collaboration?

Did you discuss with Karen what your intended 'feel' for the song would be, or was it instintive from working together for so long?

How much time did you spend in the studio with Karen and Richard? How did that experience evolve through the years?

What was your overall impression of her solo album? What made you not appreciate it as you would a Carpenters album? Did you discuss the album's rejection with Karen?

What was your impression of Tom Burris? Agnes and Harold Carpenter?

What is your favorite memory of Karen?

What song are you most proud of and why?

Did you have Karen in mind when you wrote 'Crazy For You'?

Thanks, Chris!! So excited to hear your interview.

Bob

I'm really excited to hear this one, maybe even more excited than most because John really speaks from his heart and just like his words in song, he explains things in a very personable approach. Can't wait. Thanks Chris

Which 2 songs literally moved you the most or gave you goosebumps when you first heard Karen complete the final version?

What was going through your mind when you penned the song, "I'm Still Not Over You?"

What are your thoughts on Karen's solo album and did you ever talk with her about that venture and what it meant to her.

Do you ever wake up and have these lyrics in your head and can hear Karen singing them?

Did you ever attend any of their live shows or tour with them to any locations US or abroad?

(Stephen, I didn't know he said it like that. I thought it was something like "She won the battle but lost the war"....my favorite quote of his is “My words have lost the best voice they ever had”) just heart wrenching.
Too soon and too young
Our Karen is still
…But her echo will linger forever

Would John like to see more live concert recordings released and why does he think Richard will not release them?

I met John Bettis on the airplane. He is a super nice genuine man and was surprised I recognized him. I talked with him for over an hour. He answered many questions honestly and truthfully, from his point of view. I can't wait to hear his interview with Chris.

Chris, would you please try to devote some time to discussing the "Spectrum era," Karen's evolution into being the definitive voice, any knowledge John might have about the decision-making regarding the assignment of vocals to those very early songs, and if there was a difference in the songwriting process when they picked up together after the pre-A&M days? I'd love to find out more details about that time frame...thanks for doing this!!

I'd be curious to know, for lack of a better way of putting it, his departure point emotionally for the Carpenters songs. Was the subject matter based on things he saw Richard and Karen going through, was it more based on his own experiences, or more of a playwright's approach - inventing a situation and then filling in all the details? Different writers write different ways, and often it's a combination of all three of the above.....more than anything, I think his recollections and stories about writing the songs would be wonderful....

Hey Chris,

I'd be intrigued to know how many songs they wrote together for the planned '83 album, and when exactly they were written.

We know "In Love Alone" was in existence by late '82, but when was it actually written. . . .and when was "I'm Still Not Over You" composed.

Also, I don't expect you to ask this, but I always found it strange Bettis never supplied the lyrics to "When Time Was All We Had". I know Bettis was VERY busy in the mid-80's when Richard composed the song, but you'd think he could have set aside a day or two.

Good Work Chris

Neil

All good stuff and thank you everybody for your feedback! I spoke with John this morning and we are set to tentatively tape next week, which should make the interview available Monday 9/15. The title of the interview will be "The Third Carpenter: A Conversation with John Bettis". We will be discussing song-by-song the (6) hit singles he's co-written with Richard (Top Of The World, Goodbye To Love, Yesterday Once More, Only Yesterday, I Need To Be In Love & Those Good Old Dreams) including his relationship with Karen and Richard and some behind-the-scenes discussion. I'm not certain yet whether this will be a 2-part interview, although I'm shooting for that since I'd like to also discuss some of the B-sides as well as some of the questions posted here. Stay tuned!

Last edited:
I'm not certain yet whether this will be a 2-part interview, although I'm shooting for that since I'd like to also discuss some of the B-sides as well as some of the questions posted here.

I sure hope there is a part 2 since we have some great questions posted and hope at least some of them might be asked. :wink:

I'm not certain yet whether this will be a 2-part interview, although I'm shooting for that since I'd like to also discuss some of the B-sides as well as some of the questions posted here. Stay tuned!

I'm keeping everything crossed that this comes off! :wiggle:

I'd be interested in hearing a little about how he did, or did not, approach lyrics differently when he knew the song wasn't destined to be cut by Carpenters. After they hit it big, did he feel constrained to provide love songs, and did he and Richard ever think about trying more "artsy" material like their late '60s collaborations? Or were those just out of the question?

Excited about this upcoming interview.
Thanks, Chris, this month just got interesting for me, also!

Of course, I like the details on the interaction with K and R... Was John present for any of the recordings, and if so - any specific memories on a tweak Karen might have suggested - or a vibe he absolutely loved coming to life at the point of the recording?

Also - Does he still live in Nashville?

And - are there any current projects / songs that he has written that he imagines Karen singing? For instance, I always felt that Crazy For You would have been a great vehicle for Karen...

Finally, does he have some favorites from the non-single selections? I for instance am a big fan of Sandy and I'm Caught Between Goodbye and I love You... So - in the spirit of that last point, I'm curious... did the person say good-bye - or did they stay? Or are they still torn?!?! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom