IN THE MOOD TOUR - S.R.O. Opening Night in Hartford

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Sidoruk

Founder, A&M Fan Net
Staff member
It was S.R.O. Saturday night (Oct. 11) for the opening of Herb Alpert & Lani Hall's "In The Mood" concert tour in Hartford, Connecticut. The venue was Infinity Hall, a brand new concert facility. For those fans that are perhaps too young to know the significance, "S.R.O." means standing room only – all of the seats are sold out and there is only room left for those to stand and watch the show. It is also the title of Herb’s seventh album with the Tijuana Brass. In the day, demand to see and hear Herb & the TJB in concert usually exceeded the availability of seats.

For those who have never seen Herb, Lani & their band in concert, you just have to go. The experience is simply amazing. For those fans that have seen them on tour in the last eight years, you also have to catch this tour, as the show has been done anew. And I don’t mean that they just added tunes from the new CD. I would sub-title it, version 4.0. And, Saturday’s Hartford audience was so appreciative that they couldn’t stop playing – there were about three encores!!!

More news - Herb Alpert’s “In The Mood” album has placed in the BILLBOARD 200 chart. This represents a return for Herb to this chart after 27 years away. “In The Mood” also debuted at No. 2 on the Billboard Traditional Jazz album chart.

Here is a link to Herb’s web page section with my live photos from this show: https://herbalpert.herbalpertpresents.com/entries/mood-tour-photos-hartford-connecticut/

H&L-2014HARTFORD_197_SIDORU.jpg

H&L-2014HARTFORD_289_SIDORU.jpg

Last edited:
I must agree with Steve. I saw them on Sunday night in Patchogue, Long Island. It was a wonderful show. Herb's playing is amazingly good and the programme and the sequence of songs were great. There were lots of humor and the evening just floated along with the possibility for the audience to comment and ask questions. Three encores in Patchogue too, and a very excited (if somewhat elderly) audience. To quote Frank Sinatra, being there "made me feel so young". :wink:

- greetings from the north -
Martin

As for the set list, I cannot recall it exactly but it started out with Moondance from the I Feel You album and included Chattanooga choo choo and Don't cry from the new album. A TJB medley starting with Rise and including Whipped Cream, Mexican Shuffle, The Lonely Bull, Tijuana Taxi and A Taste Of Honey. A Sergio Mendes medley featuring Lani with Mas Que Nada, The Look Of Love, Fool On The Hill and Never Say Never Again. He played Puttin On The Ritz and La Vie En Rose from Steppin Out. From Anything Goes they played Let's Face The Music And Dance and It's Only A Paper Moon. On a request from the audience he sang the first part of This Guy's In Love With You, even though he said he had quit singing it, after being discouraged by seeing some "oldies" sing on TV. He sounded great, though. Towards the end of the concert came the Jobim medley, If I Were A Rich Man and What Now My Love.

- greetings from the north -
Martin

anyone have a set list?

I was too busy concentrating on shooting my photos and applauding, so I gave up on the set list. :wink: But I see that Martin did a pretty good job of reporting.

I did just hear that Sirius XM recorded last night's show at The Birchmere in Alexandria, VA, but they haven't set the air date yet.

Good man! And good fan. If you want to see your artist bad enough, you'll find a way.

Yes, you will! I flew up to Connecticut from SC. I got to see my daughter and also got to see Herb and Lani. Herb and Lani were the reason I went up that particular weekend though. I could not possibly have had better seats either -front row center! I still haven't come down from Cloud Nine yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom