I Have to Share My Joy For a Moment... (BEAT OF THE BRASS mono)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shane

So I was just sitting here, reading this message board. And that reminded me of the fact that I still needed to find the elusive mono version of "The Beat of the Brass". So many thrift store record racks over the past 20 years, so many TJB albums everywhere, and never have I even seen one.

I opened a new window on the computer, looked on ebay, and found a VG++ copy on buy it now for $2.99 plus shipping. I'm anxious to hear how different this thing sounds!

:razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz:

It's quite different, that's for sure. There's extra compression in spots, little bits of reverb here and there - all in all, exciting to hear after years of stereo-only listening. Enjoy!

Harry

shane it is quite different listen to monday monday, I got a promo of tha beat of the brass which as I did my research it the mono was only avalible in mono. and from the same record dealer that I know of the record conventions he use to be a LA promo person and I also got sergio mendes forsider as a promo. the A&M promo label is white with the A&M in orange.
bob

Thank you! I think this is a stock copy, but I'll find out for sure when I get it in the mail.

These late monos can be quite interesting... I recently found a (very rare) 1968 mono copy of Simon and Garfunkel's "Bookends", and the overall feel of the LP was drastically different.

shane your welcome. this stock copy is the regular tan label with the A&M on the left side, and the mono promo copy is a white label with the A&M in orange on the left. same gate fold album, at the top left there is no stereo logo. on the right upper corner if it is mono it with have A&M lp 146.at least that what mine has, now maybe there was a mono stock copy, which to me is rare, because that was released in 1968 and I never saw a the beat of the brass in mono as a stock copy only a prono.
take care
bob

thanks Harry, shane the cover above is what the mono copy looks like.as I said I have a promo copy of it. thanks again Harry for posting the cover.I remember back in 1968 I only saw the stereo copy.
bob

So the LP just arrived in the mail today. Its a stock copy, looks just like the one above. You're right, it is a totally different listening experience. I noticed "Monday Monday" has a longer fade, and "This Guy's In Love With You" has a lot more reverb than what I'm used to hearing. And it the whole thing is more compressed, formatted to sound better on AM radio!

I still think my favorite track off the album is "The Robin". That ascending trombone line just kills me every time.

I think these were released at the tail end of mixing albums separately for mono and stereo.

I got a hit on my Discogs alert for a copy of Gino Vannelli's Crazy Life on vinyl. I have a stereo copy but it's a bit noisy. So I order this new copy, listed under stereo...it arrives...the bloody thing is mono. And I think it sounds like total crap compared to the stereo. This album is very well recorded, and the mono sucks the life out of it. What this would be is a "fold-down", summing the left and right channels together--the balance is just off all over the place. The only bright spot is that this is a promo copy, and the album is already rare, so I am hanging onto it anyway. It was only a few bucks.

Thanks for this thread! Im hoping to find Beat of the brass in mono. As well as Herb alpert's ninth in mono. i know of a place that you can get vinyl from. and they will also make a custom cd burn of it.but you have to buy the vinyl. Since i no longer have a turntable its become my alternative source. Nevertheless my hunting for these will be much easier. Thanks again i never seen or ever heard that there was a mono version of BOTB.

Good luck finding BEAT OF THE BRASS in mono. As far as I know, it's the last TJB album ever available in mono, and it stands to reason that there aren't as many copies out there. Not sure if I remember ever seeing a mono copy, aside from what is pictured here on the Corner. But hey, ya never know. As I said, good luck!

Thanks Guys. Now i got 3 gems to hunt for. I appreciate the info. The christmas album in mono? WOW! Now that has to be a real collectible.

Old thread from last year, but it's the best place for this post:

I acquired one of those Mono versions of the CHRISTMAS ALBUM sometime in the past year, but hadn't yet given it a thorough listen. It's in nice shape and I just did a transfer to digital. These are indeed dedicated mono mixes - probably done by Larry Levine - with some interesting finds. Like on "Sleigh Ride", just before the two-minute mark in the track, there's a Herb Alpert trumpet line heard underneath all of the Shorty Rogers strings. That line is new to me - it's not on any of the stereo versions. On "Jingle Bell Rock", there's more of Julius Wechter's marimba on the mono version.

Last edited:
Thank you! I think this is a stock copy, but I'll find out for sure when I get it in the mail.

These late monos can be quite interesting... I recently found a (very rare) 1968 mono copy of Simon and Garfunkel's "Bookends", and the overall feel of the LP was drastically different.

Last edited by a moderator:
F.Y.I.: Simon & Garfunkel's RARE-*est* mix is the quadrophonic 8-TRACK CARTRIDGE of BRIDGE OVER TROUBLED WATER.
That was the ONLY format that mix of that album was ever released on...no Columbia "SQ" vinyl and no 4ch. reel to reel.

Here's the mono version of "Sleigh Ride" from the version of the Christmas Album sent to AM radio stations. Listen for Herb's extra trumpet line at around 1:57. It's just a few notes, but they're not there on the stereo version.

Bravo! That is a true rarity it does sound different from the regular stereo mix. I remember hearing this version with extra trumpet line back in 1977 on the radio during the christmas season and it Was an AM station.

Acapulco 1922-
Not to derail this thread into the world of Simon and Garfunkel, but Bridge Over Troubled Water exists as a SQ Columbia quad LP... I own one.

Frankly, it's one of the worst-sounding quad LPs in my collection. I was expecting this album to sound amazing, and it sounds like phooey. I would imagine the quad 8 track would be much better as there is no decoder in the picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom