🎷 AotW: Jazz Hugh Masekela - THE PROMISE OF A FUTURE

Jazz releases not on the CTi or Horizon labels.

How Would You rate This Album?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

Hugh Masekela
THE PROMISE OF A FUTURE
Chisa/Uni Records
41XKCCN3YRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Released 1968

Peaked at #1 on the Jazz Album chart, #2 on the R&B Album chart, #17 on the Top Albums chart
"Grazing In The Grass" Peaked at #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 and the R&B Singles charts

Produced by Stewart Levine

Songs:
1. Ain't No Mountain High Enough (N. Ashford/V. Simpson) - 2:00
2. Madonna (A. Abreu) - 3:10
3. No Face, No Name And No Number (S. Winwood/J. Capaldi) - 3:26
4. Almost Seedless (H. Masekela) - 3:36
5. Stop (M. Shuman/J. Ragovny) - 2:35
6. Grazing In The Grass (P. Hou) - 2:40
7. Vuca (Wake Up) (H. Masekela) - 3:40
8. Bajabula Bonke (The Healing Song) (M. Makeba) - 6:25
9. There Are Seeds To Sow (H. Masekela) - 2:25
Musicians:
Hugh Masekela - Flugelhorn, Trumpet, Vocals
Al Abreu - Tenor & Soprano Saxophone
William Henderson - Piano
Chuck Carter - Drums
Henry Franklin - Bass
Bruce Langhorne - Guitar (9)

Recorded at Gold Star Studios
Engineered by "The Doctor"

Capt. Bacardi

The only one I've heard from this album is the #1 Billboard hit "Grazing In The Grass." There was also a vocal version that another group did around the same time period; can't recall the group though.

The Friends Of Distinction had the 1969 remake of "Grazing In The Grass" which went to # 3 back in June of 1969 on RCA Victor. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

This is a really good album, once you get past the opening track. It's a very spirited, infectious album with Masekela's hi-flying trumpet and vocals. Saxman Al Abreu contributes a couple of sizzling solos on both "Madonna" and "Almost Seedless". They rhythm section is tight. Gotta love Masekela's singing on "Vuca" and the complex "Bajabula Bonke". Definitely an album worth getting!

Capt. Bacardi

Incidentally, "Grazing In The Grass" replaced Herb Alpert's "This Guy's In Love With You" as the #1 single in 1968. Of course 10 years later Alpert and Masekela would team up for the favorite Herb Alpert/Hugh Masekela album that Stewart Levine also produced (along with Herb & Hugh).

Capt. Bacardi

While we are on the subject of herb and hugh. Nobody has talked about their forgotten follow up lp main event live which should have been released on cd as well. I have both lps still in excellent condition. I remember seeing main event in numerous cutout bins going as low as a dollar a pop. And i have not seen a numerical revision for vinyl like the a&m 3100 series so i thought i would bring this up for a possible future discussion?? Thank you all again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom