"Hey" from a New Member - turntable talk*

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeeInKY

Just joined recently after finding the site a few weeks ago and lurking for a bit. I was a big fan of Herb and the Brass back in the day. My dad and I used to listen a lot. Got back into the TJB sound and Herb's newer stuff (which I love) about a year ago. It's nice to find folks who know a lot about the topic! Over the weekend I was digging through some stuff in mom's basement and uncovered some of the old record albums. They look great - still in the original jackets and sleeves. They aren't warped and have no obvious damage. Should still be playable. Now all I need is a turntable - makes me wish I still had my Kenwood component system that finally bit the dust in the 90s. After all, who wouldn't want to hear What Now My Love, WCAOD, and SRO in their original format?

Welcome Dee. Many of us still regularly use turntables on which we spin the old (and new) records. Decent turntables can be found in the used market and can be spruced up with new cartridges/stylii to get the best sound you can from the old vinyl. Connecting them to today's stereo "receivers" is slightly more problematic if the receiver doesn't have a phono input. In that case you need a preamp for the turntable and then use one of the aux inputs. But I'm getting ahead of myself - and maybe you!

Welcome to the forum. Coincidentally, I found this photo yesterday on my computer:

tjbclub.jpg

I'm sure these guys welcome you too!

Harry

Cool! Thanks, Harry. (These guys always were the coolest people in the room!)

I may have lucked out with my little shelf stereo -- it's got a phono input. I'm looking at some turntables with built-in preamp and probably usb connectors, too. Might as well be as versatile as possible. Man, have I forgotten a lot about this stuff. I've been working in IT for the last umpteen years. Was a programmer for a long time and now set up hardware for users and troubleshoot the odd help call.

BTW - that copy of SRO is mono. I can't remember the last time I held a mono LP in my hands. It's like finding a time capsule :)

Welcome to the forum, Dee! You can definitely get any of your TJB questions answered here -- usually without more than a few minutes' wait.

I had sort of "grown out" of the TJB when I stumbled across this forum. I still liked the music but just didn't ever listen to it much. When I first got internet service, "Herb Alpert" was one of the first searches I did, and reading about the Brass and finding all these 'obsessed' people really sparked up my interest again. There are quite a few CDs in my collection that I never would have known existed if not for this forum.

deeinky welcome to the A&M corner I to is a tjb fan since 1965 have all the albums, CD's and 45 singles. if I can you said you are looking for a turntable. I had bought one it is the audio techinca AT120Lp is is simular to the techinc Sl 1200 . this one

play the old 78 records, and has the s arm so you can use the older cartridges. and it is a heavy turntable like back in the day, and is a direct drive. today's turntables are very cheap and all plastic so Iwould not buy any of those,like inon so you could transfer old vinyl to

audio cds. the at 120lp will do that as well. I have been into this since the 70's. and the turntable has a reverse moter like back masking that was back years ago.to hear secret messages. and the cartridge I would recommend is the audio

techinca AT440MLA if you can afford the turntabe it is around 200.00 dollars or less on some websites. and the cartridge is around the same price. but the stylus is the new micro line simular to the old shabata to play the old quadraphonic records

back in the 70's just the SQ and QS but not the CD-4 descrete ones.

so I hoped I have helped you and again welcome to the corner.

bob

Thanks guys! I appreciate all the information. I've just uncovered a single of The Happening in the picture sleeve. Pretty dusty, so it needs a good cleaning. Also just found out that a local second hand store has a huge collection of LPs. They say over 200,000 at any one time. The picture I saw showed tons of A&M stuff on the wall, so that should be worth a visit.

deelky the happening the single is slightly different it was released in 1966. from the one that is on herb Alpert's ninth 1967 the single at the end you hear a flute, on the album or cd version you don't at the end, the flip side of the happening is town without pity first song on sounds like. and as I remember it that is also slightly different mix, the single at the beginning as I remember it you do not hear some one shouting, but the album and CD version you do,

some of the original singles had different mixes, the most noticable is the rare single of tijuana taxi/Zorba the greek, check out zorba's video here on the corner that some one posted then compare it to either the greatest hits. or the volume 1 of the

classics series or the going places album or cd, Zorba the greek is longer. 4:25 and there are others that are some what different mixes. i am not going to list all of them.and all those albums at the second hand store, check to see of any are promo

copies, you can tell take a look at the record label it is white instead of tan, and the promos the A&M are in orange, and if you could find the beat of the brass in mono it will say LP 146 on the upper right corner. you would have a rare item. some of

the songs like monday monday is a different mix from the stereo, so best of luck on your find at the second hand store,

take care
bob

Made a trip to the second hand store and came out with Going Places and Rise. They have quite a few things - several copies of Warm and some BMB. Someone over there has a serious jones for Dolores - I've never seen quite so many of those pictures in one place. (Now to get the turntable purchased - this just provides incentive.)

Bob, looked at several turntables and ended up ordering the AT lp120. It arrived yesterday and I got it hooked up and working. I had just about forgotten how warm vinyl sounds. Been listening to a couple of my special favorite songs (More and More Amor, Bittersweet Samba, and Tangerine) and they're just so pretty on the LP.

DeelnKY you made the right choice of turntables that is a heavy turntable. even tho it is a manual turntable, my self I would prefer that because you do not have to worry about the mechcanicl things breaking,

and you have more control with the cueing. and it does play the old 78's records, but you need a special stylus (needle) for that. you can go on line to the needle doctor, and order it they are interchangeable.

you need to the the ATN95 it is yellow in color, and to play the 78's where the speed thing is for the 45 and 33 you push the 2 down,then since is a direct drive the slide control on the right, you would adjust the speed on that.

then on the pull down the slider down till the speed is right. so I hope you have namy years of enjoyment with your new turntable. let me know how you like it.and it also has a reverse motor, remember the back making? you can play records

backwards so you can hear those hidden messages like the beatles revolution 9. elo fire on high and more. enjoy.

bob

DeelnKY you made the right choice of turntables that is a heavy turntable. even tho it is a manual turntable, my self I would prefer that because you do not have to worry about the mechcanicl things breaking,

and you have more control with the cueing. and it does play the old 78's records, but you need a special stylus (needle) for that. you can go on line to the needle doctor, and order it they are interchangeable.

you need to the the ATN95 it is yellow in color, and to play the 78's where the speed thing is for the 45 and 33 you push the 2 down,then since is a direct drive the slide control on the right, you would adjust the speed on that.

then on the pull down the slider down till the speed is right. so I hope you have namy years of enjoyment with your new turntable. let me know how you like it.and it also has a reverse motor, remember the back making? you can play records

backwards so you can hear those hidden messages like the beatles revolution 9. elo fire on high and more. enjoy.

bob

I'm really liking this turntable. It's fun to get back into LPs after such a long time.

Deelnky Glad you are enjoying your new turntable, if you do a google or yahoo search and type in Techincs Sl 1200 images you will see the AT 120Lp is almost the same, but the techincs Sl- 1200 does not have the reverse motor. you will have

many years of enjoyment with the AT 120Lp turntable. it is a heavy well built turntable. and it is a direct dtive and plus as you found out it plays the old 78s where at lot of newer ones do not.

enjoy it
take care
bob

Welcome to the forums from another vinylphile and turntable repairman. Love these old Herb Alpert classics in their original format myself. And own a Thorens TD 165, a Technics SP-25 broadcast setup, and a nice Pioneer PL 518. And two McIntosh powered systems with Klipsch, Advent, and Dynaco speakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom